Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Waterproof stuff that stays waterproof

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Nothing you can wear is totally water proof Gortex is seen as the best but it comes with its own issues in that it’s not very breathable so while it keeps the water out it also keeps the sweat in, wearing layers helps with wicking properties, lots of manufacturers have their own branded water proofing of different qualities however there is a rating method based on how many hours under controlled conditions water is kept out that all manufacturers should and most do disclose.
then there’s the re waterproofing some via a machine wash others a spray or wiped on plus storage and drying many are shoved damp onto a coat rack and forgotten about between spring and autumn that which can cause the waterproofing deteriorate dry and air these items on hangers not scrunched on a hook and out of direct sunlight for any extended periods

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Timberland do trainers with a waterproof liner - not sure if they are suitable for your needs though

Swegulls

Aug 29, 2023
Stockholm
Waterproof footwear for trail running is rubbish in my experience. Anything that keeps the water out also keeps it in, better to have fully breathable uppers and embrace the wetness with decent socks.
I definitely agree with that. If its raining, but still reasonable warm, its better to just use your ordinary shoes (or a pair that you only use for these situations. They tend to be quite soggy...).

I use my Gore-Tex runners when it's snow, that on the other hand works great. My usual shoes gets too cold and melting snow on the upper isn't ideal. But I guess snow is a bigger problem in Sweden than in Brighton!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I now feel extremely inferior as I use a Peter Storm rain jacket with detachable fleece liner.

When it's really pissing down, the dog walks gets shorter, 45 mins max.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here