Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgin Trains West Coast -Sign the e-petition

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Hardly an unbiased view then is it? Frankly, the train services need investment to improve them. Not money going to the Exchequer.

On a more personal note, it is nice to see Branson loose out on something now that his Labour cronies have been shown the door.

Of course its not unbiased but at least it means I understand the process and the implication of the decision, and why Firsts bid appears undeliverable, much unlike yourself clearly.

I cant comment anymore on here, as ironically as things stand by default I will become a First employee when the keys are handed over.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I can only speak as I find, and suggest that as Virgin is a very over-hyped brand, people look at First's offering in detail before whinging.

I disagree. I've used Virgin Trains - absolutely first class - their service and price beats companies like Southern hands down. Their airline is top notch and their economy class can only be beaten by a handful if airlines. I have their TV service and internet and even when there has been a problem they've solved it quickly and for free - unlike those shysters Sky.

I used to work for a large outsourcer that had a country wide network made up of BT, Virgin and C&W - the service from Virgin way exceeded BT and C&W.

So hype it might be but it's a well earned hype IMHO. How the government could remove their franchise is amazing.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Use Virgin trains probably 7-8 times a year for Albion games, and really like them. Signed.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
WHY? Now, I have not got trains on that side of the country for years, so I cannot comment upon Virgin's performance.

HOWEVER, I do regularly go out of my way to ensure I use First Hull Trains' service. It is outstanding.

I have seen that First intend to bring several important places back into the mainline network. That coupled with their excellent service elsewhere would lead me to suggest that people look at the facts rather than simply jump on the beardy twat's bangwagon.

First Hull Trains dont run a huge service, only about 4/5 trips between London and Hull each day - totally different to the biggest franchise in the country running a lot of services.

The government may listen, but i highly doubt it. Virgin i believe do have 2 weeks within the decision being made to appeal it though. I signed it though, despite half of all the Virgin Trains ive been on being late and them cocking a seat reservation up a few times - their staff are great.

Signature count, 71,112

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
As mentioned on another thread, Virgin give out free food and alcohol in 1st Class, First as I understand it won't (they don't on their other long distance services - no food, soft drinks and tea/coffee only). For that reason alone everyone should sign the petition.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Almost at 90k now and just been tweeted by Steve Fry and Bradley Wiggins so should see it easily go past the 100k to get a parliamentry debate. All in a few days. Pretty phenomenal really.

It is highly unlikely to change anything though. The dft and transport minister couldn't survive a u-turn that big.

Last edited:

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
I normally wouldn't bother with this sort of thing, but I regularly use the Virgin service to travel up to Edinburgh and it is superb.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here