Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Very O/T Cats and fleas

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
all the potions above will do the job
but have you thought about using a HOUSE spray as well
we use Frontline twice a year
and house spray the same but do everything on a light airy day with doors and windows open if possible furniture carpets especially the corners and in the cracks under the skirtings, curtains the lot
one can does ours twice (but it is a small bungalow)
this not only kills the little bar stewards but kills the eggs too.
we have three and they rarely meet other cats (but we do have foxes coming into the garden) so it has to be done
we have not seen a flea for years
also regular combing with a mikki rake especially on long haired cats takes out all the dead hair gives them nothing to nest in little bar stewards

good luck mate
once they are gone they are gone

I did get a house spray as well, and have hoovered and sprayed most places today. Together they may work, we'll see

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Another vote for Front line here. Our vet recommended it and we use it every 6-8 weeks.

And while we are about it, our Kitty (that's her name) is a much loved family pet and she seems to enjoy her life too. Nobody is forced to have a pet, but its certainly improved the quality of our lives.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
O/T we've used Stronghold this year and it worked fine. Frontline is all but useless now as the fleas all seem to be immune to it.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Use a flea comb as well as any potion as this will help remove the little buggers (fleas not cats). But whatever you do, do NOT use a dog treatment on a cat. They are different chemicals and can kill the cat.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Use a flea comb as well as any potion as this will help remove the little buggers (fleas not cats). But whatever you do, do NOT use a dog treatment on a cat. They are different chemicals and can kill the cat.

Yup, was thinking a comb might be useful. Seem to have seen fewer on the cats in the last few hours, one of the cats I don't think has slept for 3 days because of scratching, has had a few zeds.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
I used Frontline on mine for a little while but it quickly became ineffective. Vet said it was a common problem and that fleas can quickly become immune to it for some reason. I switched to Advocate (expensive as it came from the vet!) but never had another flea problem, other than trying to get the Advocate on my cat without losing an arm!

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Havent had a problem with fleas for a few years, but it has effected my cat really bad this year. Tried Bob Martin but hasnt worked.

Is the best option to see a vet for alternatives ? I want the bar stewards gone as my legs are covered in bites !!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Havent had a problem with fleas for a few years, but it has effected my cat really bad this year. Tried Bob Martin but hasnt worked.

Is the best option to see a vet for alternatives ? I want the bar stewards gone as my legs are covered in bites !!

We have Advocate from our vet. It is best to get stuff from the vet, because the cat is weighed and the right treatment given for the weight. It is stronger for a cat that weighs more than 4kg.
We treat our two cats every month and haven't seen fleas for a long time.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Another vote for Advocate from the vet.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Another vote for the vet.
poptartFINALTINY.gif

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Hoover where they sleep. The eggs will fall into the carpet and hatch. Hoovering will suck em up

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Interesting view but could be used for everything surely? My car's being a right pain at present and it certainly feels like I've brought that grief onto myself. Do I really need it? Is it vital? Probably not. Neither are my dogs and they can cause grief and expense too but I prefer life with dogs rather than without. Got a large family too, just like dogs being in the mix. Could ask the question whether I really needed to have four kids I guess but if we only have what we need life would be pretty dull.

I can't believe that any one who has pets has them as ornaments anyway, other than strange Italian women perhaps.

Fair enough, each to their own I suppose.
There is probably some therapeutic value to what others see as a liability.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Hoover where they sleep. The eggs will fall into the carpet and hatch. Hoovering will suck em up

Have done some of this but thre have access to the whole house and sleep in all sorts of places, so difficult to do entirely.

They seemed to be able to get some sleep last night. As I'm up every 2 hours through the night anyway, and they were in my room, I was able to keep an eye on them. This morning they're still scratching, but not all the time now and I didn't see many of the little buggers on them when I examined. Hopefully they're on the way out.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia

No it isn't, I'm on acreage which needs guarding from undesirables.
It lives out doors and never comes in the house, ever, it is fed well and watered.
Does the job of barking when intruders come in or near, cheaper than a alarm system and it catches and kills rats and vermin.
Just another member of the work force along with my screwdrivers and drill.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
Another vote for Advocate from me. But if they are house cats once this infestation is over they won't need it.

We had a similar problem and used a can of Indorex around the house - spray it onto all the carpets etc. It's about £11 a can but worth every penny.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here