Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Utter thick idiots

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Who remembers a minutes silence at The Goldstone when halfway through someone shouted: “F*ck off Codner”.

There was another, perhaps on TV, where someone broke the silence with mucking around yells. Met with an immediate mass “Wanker, wanker, wanker”.

Honouring the dead :eek:.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I think the silence or clapping is relevant, someone who has lived a long life with great achievements then clapping is warranted. If someone has been taken young then a moment of silence is more respectful.

The person on the tannoy at the Leeds game said a minute of silence, but the thickos at Leeds couldn’t manage that.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Silence is hard to implement. It takes literally only one single moron to ruin it (a crowd of 30-40,000 is always going to have one such prick), then inevitably about 10 more will stupidly be antagonised by it themselves and react like dickheads.

It happened at our home game versus AEK Athens where one Greek shouted like a prick and about 10 Albion fans reacted. Reacting is not much better I'm afraid.

It happens everywhere.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
At the Greece game at Wembley, during the first 20 seconds or so there was the occasional voice.
But after that, it was completely silent for the remaining 40.
With a crowd of 80,000 there, that's probably as good as it was likely to be.
It can be done, it just needs some explanation and lead-in time.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The Shoreham air disaster tribute was impeccable at the Amex.
Exactly . It can be done, and when it is, when thousands of people stand united in respectful silence it is quite profound and moving. The minute's applause is a second-rate tribute in comparison, the only advantage of it is it can be used on 'lesser' occasions where people don't feel the same level of connection.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Think the first minute's applause I remember was for Alan Ball at Withdean. If memory serves, it was because his family requested it should be applause rather than silence

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
It should be a minutes silence, it really shouldn't be beyond the scope of football fans but I spend most of the time waiting for someone to be an arse instead of remembering the person! So I am for the clapping now..............yes we have dumbed down.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
In a 30K+ crowd, there’s inevitably going to be several hundred that don’t get to their seats until the last minute. Always a good chance that those still on the concourses don’t realise there’s a minutes silence happening. I think that’s why the applause works better.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Colchester?
She died the day we won 4-1 up there and the bloke manning the Dartford toll told us (we’d already heard it on the radio).
It was Colchester away as I was in with the home fans that day as a friend from university who lives near Colchester got me a ticket. We found out when we went to a local village pub after the game and the flag on the church was at half mast. 4-1 to the “one man” team although I think Bobby Z was injured for that game.

Tonight Leeds v Sheffield Utd. There was broadcast in the media prior to the game and also prior to kick off by the pitchside announcer there will be a period of SILENCE for George Baldoock. NOPE thick shits clap.

I'm sorry but a period of silent reflection is class clapping is not. Totally disgraceful.
I think constantly clapping, silence etc for people who die is completely unnecessary. Never used to happen. Remembrance Day only for me.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Respect is very much a thing of the past in the modern era, sadly
The pricks have always existed, as evidenced by the numerous events recounted on this thread. Interesting that those memories of disrespect seem to be remembered with humour, rather than fury. The old always think the young are less respectful than they were when they were young, but it's nonsense really.

The real difference is that, in the old days, the only people that would know would be the few thousand in the stadium, who would roll their eyes and immediately get on with their lives.

Now, we have it beamed into millions of homes, to people who immediately jump on the internet to validate their outrage with millions more.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It was Colchester away as I was in with the home fans that day as a friend from university who lives near Colchester got me a ticket. We found out when we went to a local village pub after the game and the flag on the church was at half mast. 4-1 to the “one man” team although I think Bobby Z was injured for that game.
Correct it was Colchester away when the Queen Mother passed away, but the interrupted minutes silence was Peterborough

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I'd never heard of clapping for someone passing before seeing it at a Premier League match. It seemed extremely strange to me at the time. But then I was learning a lot of new stuff at that time.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
I remember when England played at Wembley in the aftermath of Princess Diana dying and then manager Glenn Hoddle saying that the minute's silence for her was "the best I've ever heard."

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Nothing says solemnity like Gully joining in the minute's silence :lolol:

Screenshot_20241019_082008_Google.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here