Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

US Open Golf 2013 - Merion

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I went for Poulter at 33's and Hunter Mahan at 50's. both each way, if either of them make top 6 I'm quids in. Knowing how this course is playing anyone from +3 has a chance.

Look like a terrifying course to me!!!

And when writing that Poulter drops 2 and looks like dropping another:annoyed:

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Unless something very strange happens there are only 8 in it...

Day +2 - always seems to come up just short and will need to shoot under par to contend.
Horschel +1 - he's a bit nuts I think and I can see him unraveling Today, great experience for him though.
Donald +1 - Sunday is his moving day, normally from miles off the pace. Today he'll be moving....backwards.
Rose +1 - Another who will be moving backwards for me, just can't see him getting it done. Good pairing with Donald but they may drag each other down.
Stricker Even - steady as a rock with only one double bogey yesterday. A repeat of that and he must go close. His putting should hold up down the stretch too. Will 4 days be catching up with the old fella now?
Schwartzel Even - impressed this week but I get the feeling his putting will let him down Today under pressure.
Mahan Even - played solid golf all week but I'm not sure he can do it under the pressure of a US Open Sunday.
Mickelson -1 - made hard work of it yesterday on the front 9 but got the putter going on the back and finished well apart from bogey on the last but thats pretty much a par. He's stuck with his gameplan all week and a level par round Today should be enough. He's been here before and has come up short but this is his for the taking. Not sure I'd be rushing for the 5/2 now but he's definitely fav for me.

I'm with Mickelson and Stricker and am happy to take those two against the field.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Only 8 in it? Nonsense, Palmer came from 7 behind to win it once.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Only 8 in it? Nonsense, Palmer came from 7 behind to win it once.
Not on a brutal course like this with special Sunday pins. No-one is going to shoot 5 under or better that they will need to contend. There have been just 17 under par rounds so far, 10 of which have been -1, 4 at -2 and 3 at -3. No-one outside the 8 listed can win, in my opinion.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is a hole in one on a par 3 an Eagle or an Albertross?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
In the USA an Albatross is called a Double Eagle.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In the USA an Albatross is called a Double Eagle.
It doesn't matter what it's called but it is one I'm after.

I got lulled by the US talking heads saying with the bad weather the greens will be like a dart board, and the record 63 will be in jeopardy.

So I had a tiny bet on an albi and an equally small bet on a Woods albi.
Then I looked at the course :facepalm:, hole in one par 4 anybody?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Glad to see the course is the winner this week. All the talk of it being short so the long hitters would have a field day has been well and truly put to bed. All my bets look down the toilet, although i'm still hoping Stenson might make a charge. If I had to play now I think 7/1 Mahan or 14/1 Day is worth a few quid. This could quite easily end up being won by a over par score. I think level or +1 will be there or there about's.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Horschel is wearing strides with Octopuses (Octopi?) on today - winner bil ho.jpg

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Hole in one on a par 3 is 2 under par. So an eagle. An albatross is 3 under par.

Is the correct answer. An Albatross is effectively a hole-in -one on a par 4 or a two on a par 5.
A hole-in-one on a par 5 is a Condor ( four under par ) and very, very, very, very rare. I honestly don't know whether it has ever been done. ( I doubt it! )

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Down to 4 already. Mickelson, Schwartzel, Mahan and an outside chance for Day. Forget the rest.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Rose doing really well, Donald sadly losing the plot

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I've took Mahan @ 50/1 e/w on Thursday. I'm watching intently and hoping he makes top 6.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Absolute carnage. Still can't be having Rose, he's an accident waiting to happen. Would be great if he got the job done though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here