Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Uriah Heep - farewell

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Just and I mean just got tickets for the ‘Heep farewell tour… about one of the only legendary 70s rock bands I’ve not managed to catch… (Atomic Rooster aside, RIP)

I’m very, very, very excited - bring on Feb 25 🎸🎸🎸

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I was seriously considering going, but at £75 for seats (!) at the front I decided I’ll stick with the memories of seeing them a few times before (standing). Most recently at Hammersmith a couple of years ago, and a memorable show at the Old Market in Hove a few years before.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
The live versions (Uriah Heep Live, 1973) of Circle of Hands, and July Morning, are two of my favourite rock tracks ever.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Used to love Demons and Wizards, hadn’t heard it for 30 plus years until this thread reminded me

Hope they live up to expectations @Kosh

Been thinking about starting a 'music of Roger Dean album covers' music thread. Hadn't realized UH had one. My favourite would be Gentle Giant's Octopus. Then I remembered tales of topographical oceans, and greenslade, and reached for my coat :ohmy:

Flounce

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2006
Been thinking about starting a 'music of Roger Dean album covers' music thread. Hadn't realized UH had one. My favourite would be Gentle Giant's Octopus. Then I remembered tales of topographical oceans, and greenslade, and reached for my coat :ohmy:
Is this another one?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Yep, Roger famously provided those two classic album covers for the band… I got him to sign my copies when he bought his exhibition up to Newcastle early 2000s…

I’ve got a collection of his stuff, love the one live Badger sleeve, Gravy Train - staircase to the day… he had the original canvas at the exhibition, it was enormous… love his work and the music it’s associated with.

My fave is probs the Lighthouse cover, although I don’t own a copy (kind of jazzy prog) … still might pick one up as it’s a brilliant piece of album artwork.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I think you should start that thread… awesome idea 🎸

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
I saw them in Worthing in around 1985/86 on the Equator tour (I think).

Easy Livin' and July Morning are still great tracks despite being nearly 50 years old now 😲

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Got to be Close to the Edge, brilliant music as well!!!!!

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I was seriously considering going, but at £75 for seats (!) at the front I decided I’ll stick with the memories of seeing them a few times before (standing). Most recently at Hammersmith a couple of years ago, and a memorable show at the Old Market in Hove a few years before.
We scored ours for a total of £70 for two... in some decent seats at the Sage (now glass house) Gateshead, which is one the best venues in the north east... acoustics are phenomenal... I fully expect the evening to be an uplifting, nostalgic trip to the planet ROCK and back.

When you consider the £££ figures to see some artists today, I consider the above to be a bargain - especially as Mick and co still put on a good show.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
The live versions (Uriah Heep Live, 1973) of Circle of Hands, and July Morning, are two of my favourite rock tracks ever.
Indeed, absolute belters... they've got so many and I suspect this gig will be chock full of numbers from the peak era... Rainbow Demon (I mean, what a ROCK AND ROLL title lol) is another fave of mine... Look at Yourself, the Wizard... the list is endless if you like your rock with a hefty serving of swords and sorcery... that said, when they played it straight they still kicked ass or more precisely - arse.

Look at yourself is one of the best albums of the 70s... some of the music, vocal layering/harmonies... gave peak era Queen a run for thier money... Never underestimate the power of the Heep.

For me the legend is only exacerbated by the (sad tales) of rock and roll excess that saw the majority of the peak era lineup head off to the great gig in the sky... I'm gutted that Hensley can't be involved, more than anyone else, but such is life... to see Mick Box rock it up is an opportunity I couldn't miss this time around.

Last edited:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
This is bringing it all back... I used to have a heavy ROCK tape in my car, one I'd made, circa 2002... driving my black Ford Ka around Newcastle blasting out the Gypsy at ear splitting volume... one of my mates was in the car once and said this song is f'ing AWESOME... who are these guys? lol... Then Argent came on with Keeper of the Flame and his jaw hit the floor, also an incredible song/band.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
We scored ours for a total of £70 for two... in some decent seats at the Sage (now glass house) Gateshead, which is one the best venues in the north east... acoustics are phenomenal... I fully expect the evening to be an uplifting, nostalgic trip to the planet ROCK and back.

When you consider the £££ figures to see some artists today, I consider the above to be a bargain - especially as Mick and co still put on a good show.
That’s a decent price, at Bexhill the front stall seats are £75, and the cheapest at the back and sides are £55. It’ll be amazing for sure, but having to sit, and those prices, I’d rather spend the money on something else.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Don’t know if you are aware but Trading Boundaries in Fletching have loads of his artwork on display. Some of the paintings are much larger than I expected, although the fly on the cover of the Motown hits album I had in the early seventies is a tiny picture.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Thanks for the heads up on this one OP. I was due to see them in the seventies but they cancelled the tour due to illness/electrocution. Seeing them at Bexhill.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
That’s a decent price, at Bexhill the front stall seats are £75, and the cheapest at the back and sides are £55. It’ll be amazing for sure, but having to sit, and those prices, I’d rather spend the money on something else.
I guess if you’ve seen them before, then I totally get the reasoning - especially the sitting 🪑 bit…

For me, it’s the culmination of a journey… from an 18 year old in 2000 popping down to windows (music shop Newcastle) and cleaning up on 70s rock… from Lindisfarne, to Nektar, May Blitz and Steamhammer to Gracious! Black Widow and Captain Beyond … Uriah Heep we’re central to my journey of discovery… to put it mildly they chimed with me… but for some reason I never caught them live…

That (all being well) is about to change… for me these guys are Gods… I’d sooner drink my own piss than endure Oasis, indeed I’d drink someone else’s piss to watch one of my fave bands even if it’s a little later than I’d have liked - I can’t think of a more rock and roll way to put it than that 😂🎸🎸🎸

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here