Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Undercover: Exposing the far right. Channel 4

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Watching now. Extraordinary and important.
Lots of shocking stuff.
Particularly interesting to me is the explanation of the deliberate (and obviously successful) tactics used to shift the Overton window to make 'mild' racist/anti-immigration sentiments feel mainstream and acceptable.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Watching now. Extraordinary and important.
Lots of shocking stuff.
Particularly interesting to me is the explanation of the deliberate (and obviously successful) tactics used to shift the Overton window to make 'mild' racist/anti-immigration sentiments feel mainstream and acceptable.
Wow!

That is bloody early to get in and accuse others of what they would (rightly in my view) throw at you. The spectrum of what is PC has shifted enormously to the left over the last couple of decades. There are a multitude of examples in all areas of life. Over here folks can claim to be indigenous at which point it becomes racist to question this declaration. A cake maker in the UK refused a contract to produce a cake for a gay wedding and ended up in court!

I will not get drawn into a game of who has the most/better examples but any fairminded person would not question that the window of discourse has favoured the left in recent years.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's funny that, how all those years of Tory rule and yet we can only speak the way the far left want. Or maybe the culture wars are just a load of bulshit to distract us from the way Etonians have stolen everything and put the blame on refugees, Muslims and Transgender people.
:lolol: funny how you casually blame a group for something you don't like, while accusing others of the same thing.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
It's funny that, how all those years of Tory rule and yet we can only speak the way the far left want. Or maybe the culture wars are just a load of bulshit to distract us from the way Etonians have stolen everything and put the blame on refugees, Muslims and Transgender people.
And bombarded by all that left wing media, the Daily Ma…rx

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Wow!

That is bloody early to get in and accuse others of what they would (rightly in my view) throw at you. The spectrum of what is PC has shifted enormously to the left over the last couple of decades. There are a multitude of examples in all areas of life. Over here folks can claim to be indigenous at which point it becomes racist to question this declaration. A cake maker in the UK refused a contract to produce a cake for a gay wedding and ended up in court!

I will not get drawn into a game of who has the most/better examples but any fairminded person would not question that the window of discourse has favoured the left in recent years.
I think the programme this is about is on a different level to the sort of thing you’re talking about.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Wow!

That's because it's historically been far right, it's a re-balancing, or progress, if you will

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Wow!

I’m not sure being against discrimination is the preserve of the left. I would imagine many of our posters centre or right of centre would be against discrimination whether a cake, employment or anything else.

As someone else said, it’s just progressive, society doesn’t stand still and hasn’t done. Some just don’t like that left or right.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wow!

Good!

I recall when it was perfectly acceptably to have sexist and racists 'bantz' at work. And I was working in a hospital at the time.

This has little or nothing to do with 'right' and 'left'. It has more to do with '****' and 'not ****'.

(and it seems quit clear where Australia fits on this spectrum. 1978-ish)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It’s well known that Margaret Thatcher didn't want to have Etonians in her cabinet. She sacked 4 of them in 83.
That's because she regarded them as 'wet'.

Thatcher was really quite weird.

Insel affe

HellBilly
Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I watched an hour and will watch the other hour tonight, the money aspect from high tech in America and the pioneer fund is all very worrying and smacks of strings being pulled in the background, by powers that be almost, if one was inclined to think that way. American authorities, be it homeland security, FBI or whoever could shut that down in a heartbeat if they so wished.

I am looking forward to the next hour tonight to see what else comes out.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
This has little or nothing to do with 'right' and 'left'. It has more to do with '****' and 'not ****'.
Totally agree that I don't really see what the labels left or right add in this context. But **** is a personal opinion. Many people love Tommy Robinson and Andrew Tate. Many equally despised Nelson Mandela.

In my mind, the basic values that you would teach your kids at a young age cover all of this stuff. Try to be kind. Try to treat other people how you would want to be treated yourself if you were in that position

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
A cake maker in the UK refused a contract to produce a cake for a gay wedding and ended up in court!

Best not to, as the cake maker won their case on appeal and we wouldn't want you to appear completely ignorant of actual facts in your rants :laugh:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
In my mind, the basic values that you would teach your kids at a young age cover all of this stuff. Try to be kind. Try to treat other people how you would want to be treated yourself if you were in that position
I don't think that's enough anymore unfortunately. The influence of social media can't be underestimated.

It's entirely possible someone can do their very best as a parent and their kid still be shaped by what they're consuming online.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here