Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Torbjørn Agdestein?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Don't forget that JFC is only out on loan until January so if he does well at Oxford he could well come back and compete for a place during the second half of the season.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
I really think Toby is a great prospect after the few times we've seen him.
He's tall, strong and I would love to see Gus give him a full game. Hopefully, once he's scored his first goal for the 1st team he could be just what we need.

Commander

Arrogant Prat
NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Gus has alot to learn,for example when to use youth team players and when to sub them out,he has got it wrong with Jake imho:albion2::albion2:
:albion2::albion2:

I'm sorry, but how can you say he has got it wrong with JFC when he's still an 18 year old kid!? In what way has he got it wrong? Because it seems to me like he's developing into a cracking player. When Alex Ferguson has very young players coming through, does he throw them in the first team for the season? No, he brings them in very slowly, with the odd game here and there, then back to a run in the reserves, then out on loan for a bit, then a few more first team games and slowly, slowly, slowly brings them through, building them gradually as a player until they are ready for a full season of first team action. Does Ferguson have a lot to learn as well? Maybe you could teach him.

Thank God this club has moved on from the days of throwing a promising youngster in at the deep end and watching him fail. (See just about every youth prospect over the last twenty years).

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm sorry, but how can you say he has got it wrong with JFC when he's still an 18 year old kid!? In what way has he got it wrong? Because it seems to me like he's developing into a cracking player. When Alex Ferguson has very young players coming through, does he throw them in the first team for the season? No, he brings them in very slowly, with the odd game here and there, then back to a run in the reserves, then out on loan for a bit, then a few more first team games and slowly, slowly, slowly brings them through, building them gradually as a player until they are ready for a full season of first team action. Does Ferguson have a lot to learn as well? Maybe you could teach him.

Thank God this club has moved on from the days of throwing a promising youngster in at the deep end and watching him fail. (See just about every youth prospect over the last twenty years).

Well said young man. I remember Beckham going out to Preston on loan.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Correct - hilarious how some people think they could teach Gus a thing or two about management. Like me going up to Dwain Chambers and going "yeah mate, your technique's all wrong, you wanna run like this!"

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I honestly think it depends on the temperament. JFC looks to have it. The loan deal was something he negotiated into his contract. So it was his decision. He thinks that it will be best for his development. Don't forget too that he will have been getting advice and probably very good advice from Nicky Forster and others. I thought he was good enough to play regularly for us this coming season but I might just bow to the lad and his advisors as to what is best for him.

I remember Harry Redknapp years ago when asked about a 15 year old who was thought to be the future for England when he thought he'd get his first cap. Redknapp said that there was a young kid called Steven Gerrard who would play for England before him because he was developing quicker and had the temperament. The reporters had never heard of Gerrard. The kid they'd asked him about was Joe Cole. Cole was fast tracked into the West Ham midfield with Carrick and they duly took West Ham down. Just glad JFC has a great head on his shoulders, is getting sage advice and above all he's ours and has signed that contract.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Who are these 'experts' on here who doubt Gus use of both JFC or Adgestein when he sees them both in training every day and knows exactly what they are both capable of and at what stage of their development they are at. As with JFC I would expect Toby to go out on loan this season to either a div 2 or even possibly a div 1 side, if there is one who play football like us, which is important in his development.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
And 22 next year.

And the year after?

I don't think there's any rush to put people like Agdestein or JFC into the team. Gus and the boys see them all week in training, they know where they're at physically and mentally and he'll get them in the team when he can. Nothing ground breaking or insightful there, just boring logic.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
And the year after?

I don't think there's any rush to put people like Agdestein or JFC into the team. Gus and the boys see them all week in training, they know where they're at physically and mentally and he'll get them in the team when he can. Nothing ground breaking or insightful there, just boring logic.

He has two seasons under his belt now, this season we should ease him in or allow.him to move on or on loan somewhere.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
He already went on loan to Bath and didn't exactly pull up any trees, although it must be hard as someone who hasn't lived in this country long and is still relatively young.

He has impressed when he has played in the first team and set up the winning goal for Buckley at Peterborough? He's very direct and quite strong, has a good ability to hold the ball up well.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
What's the drill with this lad then?
Looks to have great potential and looked good when he had the odd chance,he's 21 now so surely gus needs to decide wether to give him a crack or loan him out,not sure how long his contract is though.

From talking to him, he seems really psyche about training with the first-team and having a more prominent role with the first-team squad on matchdays! He will have a great season! :thumbsup:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
From talking to him, he seems really psyche about training with the first-team and having a more prominent role with the first-team squad on matchdays! He will have a great season! :thumbsup:

But will be interesting to see his reaction if he stays on the UK for the 4 dev squad pre season games, whilst the first team are sunning them selves in Spain.... I personally hope he goes with the 1st team.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
But will be interesting to see his reaction if he stays on the UK for the 4 dev squad pre season games, whilst the first team are sunning them selves in Spain.... I personally hope he goes with the 1st team.
That will be interesting.

He was used ahead of Hoskins by Gus at times last season (when both were on the bench IIRC) so with seven subs coming in that puts him pretty close to the first team. But then if we bring in another striker, who knows. I can definitely see him going out on loan at some point during the season. Regular first team football would do him good, he's very quick, direct, always making himself available for a pass and wanting the ball, always willing to run at players. The problem seems to be that when he gets to the point of shooting or crossing he doesn't know what to do. But that can be sorted with more experience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here