Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tokyo suggestions?

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I went for the first time this summer. Amazing city. Two things worth checking out is the Golden Gai area of Shinjiku which is a series of tiny streets lined with post-war shack/hut bars and the food equivalent called Shomben Yokocho (or 'piss' ally) which is close to the station. Very very atmospheric.

Also, use your jet lag to get up early and visit the fish market. It is crazy, chaotic, colourful and a veritable assault on the senses. When done go to one of the sushi bars for a traditional workers breakfast.

I think foreigners have been banned for fondling the tuna

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Akihabara? Don't go! Unless you have a particularly keen interest in geeks and electronics. It's a soulless, joyless place. There are far better places to go/see in Tokyo than that dump. Sorry to put a downer on it, I just can't find anything about Akihabara to reccomend it. Enjoy the rest of your time here though!

My Japanese hosts have decided that I would enjoy it, I can't see anyway of saying I would rather go somewhere else without causing offence. The business etiquette seems like a bit of a minefield.

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
Tokyo is my favourite city. I lived there for just over four year (2000 -2004) and if I could go back and live / work there again, I would be there like a rat up a drainpipe. It's not to everybody's taste though

You could go to Erawan Thai restaurant in Roppongi. It's on the 13th floor of the ROI building. If you go for a piss you can see a whole load of Tokyo and Roppongi as the wall is a floor to ceiling window. After that I recommend going to Mistral Bleu, which is an old Polish railway carriage next door to the ROI building. It's a little small, but it's my favourite bar in the world.

Here are some other recommendations for food:

Shin Hi No Moto - It's an izakaya under the railway arches in Yurakcho run by an English guy called Andy.
Fumii's Grill - Asian Fusion between Ebisu and Hiro. Fantastic food. I left Tokyo in 2004 and went back last year and they recognised me as I walked in. Amazing.
Check out any Yakitori restaurant. My favourite is a pokey little place called Kushi Waka in NakaMeguro. Kushi Waka Yakitori The tsukune and wasabi chicken breast is delicious.
Any noodle shop outside the railway stations. Slurp away to your hearts content.

Try this article on Tokyo street dining. Some Tasty Rewards Await the Adventurous : Street Dining in Tokyo - International Herald Tribune

As for the touristy side, I'd echo what other people have recommended before me. Just walking around and taking it all in is the Tokyo experience. A must do though is to have a can of hot coffee from the vending machines. I've not found that sort of experience anywhere else. Don't open or close taxi doors as the drivers do that automatically for you. If you don't smoke, be prepared for a shock as most bars and restaurants places when I was there allowed smoking. I don't know if it's changed that much since then.

Go grab a Starbucks at Shibuya crossing and watch what seems like a million people crossing the er.... crossing. It's an interesting spectacle.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
there's a nice temple thing and monkey sactuary up hill (you go up in a little ski lift) at the end of the Keio commuter line out of Shibuya or was it Shinjuku. Stumbled across it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here