Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tit box time

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
I,ve got starlings in the loft at the moment. I will get around to evicting them but apart from a bit of noise at 7 am they are ok. Not happy to muck their nests up at the minute.

If you're going to evict them, probably best to do it now, before they lay eggs (unless they've already laid).I think its illegal to disturb the nest once eggs appear. Pretty sure they are a declining species.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
before they lay eggs (unless they've already laid).I think its illegal to disturb the nest once eggs appear. Pretty sure they are a declining species.[/QUOTE]

I,m going in tomorrow. I hope they haven't laid then.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If you're going to evict them, probably best to do it now, before they lay eggs (unless they've already laid).I think its illegal to disturb the nest once eggs appear. Pretty sure they are a declining species.

I heard recently that the blackbird is thriving in recent years. People often think it's the same pair you see in your garden but one expert was saying of late that some gardens may get up to 30 pairs visit a day. They love grapes I know that.

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
I heard recently that the blackbird is thriving in recent years. People often think it's the same pair you see in your garden but one expert was saying of late that some gardens may get up to 30 pairs visit a day. They love grapes I know that.

We've a pair that stay with us all summer, chasing others away because we feed them meal worms (costs me a fortune!). In the winter they disappear and we get lots of different (Scandinavian) ones. Have your starlings been evicted?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've got one of those camera boxes. A bird has been resident there for many months, repeating what happened last winter. No sign of a mate as yet, just the one bird tucked up in the warm every evening. And no it's not dead.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We've a pair that stay with us all summer, chasing others away because we feed them meal worms (costs me a fortune!). In the winter they disappear and we get lots of different (Scandinavian) ones. Have your starlings been evicted?

No I can't do it. They don't make a fuss till 7.10 which is when I get up so its fine really. I'm sure they've laid so I'll give it a while before I block up the hole. Probably be a bit of mess when I go up there but that's no big deal.
It's the mice in my airing cupboard that my wife and daughter are more worried about.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek

Not many Starlings in our garden,however i feed Blackbirds/Thrushes and the very rarely seen here but delightful Jay is mixed fruit as in cake mix (you know the sort) they really go for it and it freely available in any supermarket. Give it a go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here