Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tired footballing cliches...

Oct 25, 2003
footballers are extremely guilty of using the word "literally" in the wrong context

for example......"he's LITERALLY left him for dead there"

well no, he hasn't

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I hate the way commentators say 'and he really should have scored there' after EVERY half chance in a game. If they scored all the chances they claim they 'should have', every game would end about 17-15.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
"He's done the hard part"

Considering the number of times the "hard part" is done in comparison to the number of times the chance is converted, I'd suggest he hasn't done the hard part.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I hate the way commentators say 'and he really should have scored there' after EVERY half chance in a game. If they scored all the chances they claim they 'should have', every game would end about 17-15.

And the subsequent debate about whether he'll "regret" that miss. Of course he does

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
The stadium is built with future expansion in mind.

Its been mentioned a little, but most stadiums do look to have some future expansion put into it.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
"We showed real character" - what does that even mean?
"He couldn't have hit that any better" - Oh really? So he was intending to put it wide was he?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
(he didn't mean to elbow that guy in the FACE, because...), "he's really not that kind of player"

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
It is obligatory for any new signing to assert of his new teammates that: "They're a great bunch of lads!"

But my favourite footballing cliché is that curious grammatical one (copyright Edna Krabappel) from managers in post match interviews. For them, several hours after the final whistle, the game is still continuing, so we get statements like: "He has seen Wazzer free and crossed into the box, and the goalkeeper has brought him down." Makes them sound like English is their second language.

But of course that's a mistake that foreign managers -- having been taught English properly -- don't seem to make.

Last edited:

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
One that's bothered me recently about the Albion is "never change a winning team" If someone's playing like a donkey they lose their place and if someone's setting the training pitch on fire then stick em in I say!

Also, commentators saying "not to take anything away from (insert team who just trounced someone)" followed by explaining how the win was basically all because the losing team were shite. That one seems to basically be the football equivalent of people who say "I'm not a racist but..."

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Alan Shearer - one of the most stupefyingly inane mammals ever to walk the earth.

Good player in his day though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"I'm a reformed character" - Joey Barton.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
"He's lost the dressing room" - no excuses for that. Most/all modern stadia are well sign-posted.
Similarly, it is amazing how many football clubs are described as a "difficult place to go to". As far as I'm aware most teams travel in relative comfort these days and all surely employ professional drivers/pilots to navigate a suitable route.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Commentators saying: "It's game on" when a team 2-0 down gets a goal back during the middle of a game.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Similarly, it is amazing how many football clubs are described as a "difficult place to go to". As far as I'm aware most teams travel in relative comfort...

er, methinks you take that cliche a little too literally. :lol:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Sorry. Couldn't resist

article-0-02BC246400000578-626_468x286.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here