Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tired footballing cliches...

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Phil Brown, appointed as Preston boss today, came out with this gem in his first interview:

""The supporters of this football club are some of the most knowledgeable in the country..."

If I had a pound for everytime I had heard an incoming manager say that, I might be giving Tony Bloom a run for his money.

An incoming manager is hardly going to begin his reign by saying that the fans of his new club are idiots.

Any other annoying cliches that irritate other people?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I get pretty fed up with the present obsession for saying 'football club' at every opportunity - we all know it's a FOOTBALL club they're talking about. Just say Millwall, Bristol City, Chelsea, or whatever club it is, without having to always add the appendage 'football club' - it's just spurious verbiage, like 'you know'.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Players like that twat yesterday saying things like 'I hope you all die' to the fans. Then, shortly after, issuing a patently insincere apology: 'I apologise, I hope you all dont die'.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
"He's lost the dressing room" - no excuses for that. Most/all modern stadia are well sign-posted.

"Too good to go down" - that just doesn't make any sense.

"It's a funny old game" - not really. There are some amusing happenings, but on the whole not so much.

"At the end of the day..." - stop saying that!!

Not really cliches, but these do annoy me.

'The Gaffer..'

Jonesy, Hughsie, Lawrency, Murray-ey, Gazza, Wazza, Bazza, Spazza.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I get pretty fed up with the present obsession for saying 'football club' at every opportunity - we all know it's a FOOTBALL club they're talking about. Just say Millwall, Bristol City, Chelsea, or whatever club it is, without having to always add the appendage 'football club' - it's just spurious verbiage, like 'you know'.

Paul Merson does it ALL THE TIME on Soccer Saturday. In addition to saying that <insert football club> have won x FOOTBALL matches so far this season. What other kind of matches are they going to win? It just sounds mental whenever he says it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
My personal favourite is when the BBC cover an early round FA Cup tie featuring a non-league team. A veritable WORLD of cliches. 'He's an accountant, you know!' whenever their star striker has a shot on goal.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Club X is a "sleeping giant". Just how many sleeping giants are there? No you are where you are because your team are sh1t now.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
[French afliction] 'I did not see zee incident'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here