Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tips on removing lime scale down the toilet ?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Brick Cleaner is good stuff, but why use weak versions when you can get the real stuff
sulphuric acid

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
You can purchase limescale remover for descaling kettles from any supermarket.

It works just as well in toilets too, just pour in as much of the stuff as possible, boil a kettle, tip the water into the bowl, and leave for a few minutes. The problem is that you really need to keep the water boiling so you will have to keep adding boiling water as it cools down. This dilutes the solution as it drains away, so it doesn't work for heavy limescale.

A more effective solution was needed in my case. I added some rather fierce React acid toilet cleaner, and bleach to the mix. Now the toilet cleaner contains hydrochloric acid and the bleach contains sodium hypochlorite - mix the two together and you produce chlorine gas.

NaClO + 2 HCl → Cl2 + H2O + NaCl

It was impossible to stay within the bathroom without choking, even though I had the window wide open. However, after an hour or two, once the fumes had gone, I was able to go in with a toilet brush, a light scrub and the bowl was as clean as if it had just been installed.

Usual precautions regarding hand, eye and respiritory organs apply when using the stuff, so read the instructions on the bottle ( I don't think mixing it with bleach is normally recommended, but it worked for me ).

Last edited:

Aye.

What I want to know is - there was a rumour when I was at school that if you ate 3 packets of space dust followed by a can of coke, you would explode. Did anyone ever witness this? ???

Yes, I`m afraid I lost both my grandparents to this.I do feel a little guilty, but they shouldn`t have kept falling asleep with their mouths open.

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Yes, I`m afraid I lost both my grandparents to this.I do feel a little guilty, but they shouldn`t of kept falling asleep with their mouths open.

And they say that the spirit of scientific enquiry is absent in this country ...

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
Spirits of salt work well but be very careful when using it, plenty of ventilation etc.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
While we're on the subject, why is he called that?

My post was just a play on algae, the minute organisms that grow in liquid, hence their aptness re: the thread :rolleyes:

algie I believe is a shortened form of algernon, a bit of a countryfied moniker, used by the upper-classes don't you know ???

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011

The Brighton Bear

Come on Kylie, get a grip
NSC Patron
May 3, 2010
Rottingdean
My post was just a play on algae, the minute organisms that grow in liquid, hence their aptness re: the thread :rolleyes:

algie I believe is a shortened form of algernon, a bit of a countryfied moniker, used by the upper-classes don't you know ???

He was Rupert's best mate.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
You can purchase limescale remover for descaling kettles from any supermarket.

It works just as well in toilets too, just pour in as much of the stuff as possible, boil a kettle, tip the water into the bowl, and leave for a few minutes. The problem is that you really need to keep the water boiling so you will have to keep adding boiling water as it cools down. This dilutes the solution as it drains away, so it doesn't work for heavy limescale.

A more effective solution was needed in my case. I added some rather fierce React acid toilet cleaner, and bleach to the mix. Now the toilet cleaner contains hydrochloric acid and the bleach contains sodium hypochlorite - mix the two together and you produce chlorine gas.

NaClO + 2 HCl → Cl2 + H2O + NaCl

It was impossible to stay within the bathroom without choking, even though I had the window wide open. However, after an hour or two, once the fumes had gone, I was able to go in with a toilet brush, a light scrub and the bowl was as clean as if it had just been installed.

Usual precautions regarding hand, eye and respiritory organs apply when using the stuff, so read the instructions on the bottle ( I don't think mixing it with bleach is normally recommended, but it worked for me ).

Chlorine gas, is, of course, poisonous.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here