Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tips for Driving Test

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
My daughter has her test coming up - any tips ?

Also do they still do a reverse around the corner manouvre - and can they do either carriageway (i.e. with or against the traffic).

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Yes and yes. I think use of the mirrors is one of the main things they look for, you should use them before and after you do anything.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I did mine two and a bit years ago: yup, reversing round the corner is still very much part of the deal (she'll have been practicing that) - the only thing that might have changed since your day is that they now ask you about things under the bonnet; in my case it was how to check the oil.

It is, sadly, also a great deal tougher than it used to be - they've admitted as much, I think there's quite a generation gap about it. Also, tell her that they write down good things as well as bad - they don't, it's only mistakes that they note down, but it definitely won't help her to know that. Wish her luck.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Always show that you are looking at your mirrors with a slight head movement. I used to get told off by my instructor (back in '97) for glancing. He knows I was looking, but the driving examiner may not.

If you are unsure of what the examiner said then ask them to repeat it.

You will not hear the examiner say..."When my head slaps against the dashboard, we have crashed".

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Tell her to concentrate all the way through even if she thinks she has already failed. I passed on my third attempt and on my first two I actually failed quite a long time after I thought I had.

Which test centre is she doing it at?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Thanks peeps. And I wiLl pass your good wishes on.

Hove (or is it Hangleton).

I did mine there, very friendly examiner called Belcher - although that's another tip, beware of their conversations, don't let them distract her. He's known for giving long tests (mine was an epic 45-50 mins) so if it's him, tell her not to get freaked by that. Dress code doesn't matter - I wore the Little Black Dress and pearls but he clearly has no interest in the hairier, larger man.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Clothes ARE important. If she's fit, a TINY skirt will keep his eyes firmly on her pins and cause him to complete fail to notice the various near-misses and close shaves during her test.

In all seriousness, if she goes dressed like a chav, the examiner will think chavvy girl-racer and fail her just to be on the safe side.

Smart casual [with a bit of leg or cleavage]*

*unless she's a munter, in which case cover up girl.

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
I did mine without any shoes, and the instructor didn't seem to have a problem with that. I hadn't lost them it was on the advice of my teacher.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I did mine in the 01/02 home shirt and a pair of jeans.

somehow I doubt dressing up would have much effect for a bloke, though....

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Did mine in my own car _ morris 1300 ( 1977) which I had to almost doubledeclutch as the clutch and gearbox didnt like eachother. When he slammed his board on the dashboard to signify an emergency stop, I hit it so hard he nearly shot through the windscreen.....those breaks were sharp

Passed first time

woooohooo

Only advice I can give is as said above - drive well , dont try and spin the wheels away at lights and dont panic

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
A low cut top and flutter her eyelids a lot and it will be a breeze.

Better if she remembers to sit in the driver's seat, but THIS equals PASS;

Attachments

• Girl%20in%20TR6%20for%20busi%20card.jpg
    Girl%20in%20TR6%20for%20busi%20card.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 22

Muhammad - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
keeping on the right side of the road is always a plus point :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports