Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This time last year.....

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
.... we were all getting excited about a press conference being called for this afternoon.

Who was going to be our new boss? Steve Coppell, Danny Wilson, Joe Royle, Tony Adams, Bryan Robson????????

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Good old Sussex by the sea!
Bald Gull said:
.... we were all getting excited about a press conference being called for this afternoon.

Who was going to be our new boss? Steve Coppell, Danny Wilson, Joe Royle, Tony Adams, Bryan Robson????????

No! f***ing Tinselhead!:nono:

However, this time last year i was really looking forward to the season and playing in Div1. This year, i am really pissed-off at the thought of playing back in Div2, and the lack of positive activity in the transfer market. All we have done is lose one of our most exciting players, Paul Brooker.:nono:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I'm excited. Division One was always going to be a struggle, no matter what, yes we went down but we couldn't realistically compete. This season we are in with a good shout of pushing for promotion again beause we can afford to keep players like Zammo, Cullip and Rodger which is a credit to Dick Knight for running the club in a way that we can pay their wages and not have to sell for peanuts.

As long as we are at the Withdean we can only expect a top half of div 2 placing but we are better than that.

Whats done is done, look forward and keep cheering the boys on.

Never a dull moment and thats the way i like it:clap: :drink: :clap:

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I'm excited. Division One was always going to be a struggle, no matter what, yes we went down but we couldn't realistically compete. This season we are in with a good shout of pushing for promotion again beause we can afford to keep players like Zammo, Cullip and Rodger which is a credit to Dick Knight for running the club in a way that we can pay their wages and not have to sell for peanuts.

As long as we are at the Withdean we can only expect a top half of div 2 placing but we are better than that.

Whats done is done, look forward and keep cheering the boys on.

Never a dull moment and thats the way i like it:clap: :drink: :clap:

We still have Bobby and Danny at the moment. But that is only 'cos we cannot sell Bobby for what we want! Danny may still go before the season starts. And Jolly, well he is a Brighton supporter! (But, i would not put him in the same class as the other two!).

And Chappers, you obviously have no ambition, if you are happy to accept Dick Tights vision for the club!

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Probably not what you want to hear, but I thought all 3 promoted teams would easily stay up. I was under the impression that the two divisions overlapped quite a lot (like they did the last time we were there about 3 years before), and that all 3 of us would perhaps even break the top half.

When Pardew signed as manager we all thought it was going to be Glen Hoddle, who lived in the area for years, and John Gorman was our assistant at the time. Anything better than that Tommy B*rns :mad:

Never a dull moment

Seems you've got it made.... if you get bored, then we're a "never a dull moment" team at the moment if you want to support someone else ;) Last 6 or 7 seasons have been mayhem!

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
I remember the massive disappointment of Hinshelwoods appointment well, the first question everyone asked me was who?! :shootself

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
WiltsRoyal said:
Probably not what you want to hear, but I thought all 3 promoted teams would easily stay up. I was under the impression that the two divisions overlapped quite a lot (like they did the last time we were there about 3 years before), and that all 3 of us would perhaps even break the top half.

So did I RW, but that was before Dick Tight's f***-ups over Tinselhead and signings. What makes me worry, is the fact that last-year, we were unable to beat the bottom teams, that does not bode well for this season!:nono:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Mullers said:
We still have Bobby and Danny at the moment. But that is only 'cos we cannot sell Bobby for what we want! Danny may still go before the season starts. And Jolly, well he is a Brighton supporter! (But, i would not put him in the same class as the other two!).

And Chappers, you obviously have no ambition, if you are happy to accept Dick Tights vision for the club!

I have ambition for this club, wouldn't support them otherwise now would i?

I realise that without a proper stadium we cannot realistically compete with teams that do that's all.

As for Bobby, we all no that we have not had a bid to make it worthwile to sell Bobby who still has 3 years left on his contract. Dick Knight is more shrewd a businessman than many people think IMHO which is why we have not gone the way of many clubs and been forced into administration, especially as we have no assets like a stadium for instance.

Patience is the key at the moment, i can see much better things for this club in the future but in the meantime i'm not gonna get impatient with a man who is giving is all to get us a permanent home that the whole town can be proud of.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
I realise that without a proper stadium we cannot realistically compete with teams that do that's all.

I think you're right. Everyone seems to underestimate the need for a proper stadium, but to be honest its one of the only reasons that the way we are now is sustainable. In '95 we managed 2nd in division 1, but Elm Park only held 13,000 and that was the top end of our attendances. Nobody wanted to come to Reading FC in reality.

I've been behind your Falmer For All thing since Brighton came up to Div 2, and can understand the frustration, coming from a place full of NIMBYs in Berks meself.

Before getting the ground though, keeping wages down, getting decent players to be as loyal as Zamora despite their talent, and reaching a bit of stability (in whatever division it takes) has to be priority no.1, to get away from the "skint" legacy that'll still remain in the first few years of Falmer otherwise.

Judging by threads like the half-time at Hereford thread, you're damn lucky to be even competing in Div 2 in the way that you are. Its pretty f***ing frustrating knowing that competition in Div 1/Prem is a few years away, but f*** it, think about this... we've been in the position you're in now for around 125 of our 132 years of history :(

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
WiltsRoyal said:
I think you're right. Everyone seems to underestimate the need for a proper stadium, but to be honest its one of the only reasons that the way we are now is sustainable. In '95 we managed 2nd in division 1, but Elm Park only held 13,000 and that was the top end of our attendances. Nobody wanted to come to Reading FC in reality.

I've been behind your Falmer For All thing since Brighton came up to Div 2, and can understand the frustration, coming from a place full of NIMBYs in Berks meself.

Before getting the ground though, keeping wages down, getting decent players to be as loyal as Zamora despite their talent, and reaching a bit of stability (in whatever division it takes) has to be priority no.1, to get away from the "skint" legacy that'll still remain in the first few years of Falmer otherwise.

Judging by threads like the half-time at Hereford thread, you're damn lucky to be even competing in Div 2 in the way that you are. Its pretty f***ing frustrating knowing that competition in Div 1/Prem is a few years away, but f*** it, think about this... we've been in the position you're in now for around 125 of our 132 years of history :(

Bang on sir.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Yep, have to agree wholeheartedly with Wilts, well said sir.

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
I agree with you Chappers and Wilts and am willing to patient with it.

I think we have a good squad for division 2, the only place we do lack is up front and as we've seen Coppell realises that and will be doing his best with what he's got to strengthen there. I think the most important thing we have as a squad is the Team spirit. Many of these players have been together for 3 years and know how each other plays. They wont take those 5/6 games to gel since they've played the majority of last season together. I can't see the relegation factor being a problem since they've tasted championships and will want to be challenging again.

I'm excited about the new season :)

BTW Mullers what is your vision for the club? Just out of interest.

Grizz

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
this time 2 years ago we were going into the 2nd division hoping for mid-table and a cup run, this time we are going in there with a real shout of promotion....its far from all doom and gloom.

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
WiltsRoyal said:

But Reading are a shit little club with no fans - we even took your side at your old ground in a night match! We are a big club that is underachieving at the moment!:salute:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is there anything about BHA that you are happy about Mullers, it must be frustrating to only see the negatives:(

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Mullers said:
But Reading are a shit little club with no fans - we even took your side at your old ground in a night match! We are a big club that is underachieving at the moment!:salute:

Hmm... I shan't bite. Too easy ???

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
this time last year ......

i was a millionaire ( no not really)

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Aaah go on....

Nah, I've got stats, but that's a boring load of shite. I'll wait until an alcohol-fuelled moment on Saturday night. :drink:

That might mean yelling at some random bird on the dancefloor in the Event about how massive Reading FC are though. Then will try and "take the away end", though will probably "get a slap" (actually, that last bit isn't a metaphor at all).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here