Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The village / amateur 2024 CRICKET thread...

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Nobody should ever, ever, under any circumstances be walking for an LBW. Simply put - its not actually possible for a batsman, looking AWAY from the stumps, to know with absolute certainty that the delivery would have struck them, or that it definitely hit his pads in line with them.

You can certainly know that you're in very great danger of being given out, but not that you definitely are.
I think I've mentioned before, that I've seen people not walk when they're out bowled. :lolol:

To be fair, we were playing without bails because it was windy, and the ball rebounded onto the stumps so slowly it was probably fair to question whether the bails would have been dislodged. Although when not using bails the ball only has to strike the stumps to be out so that's not strictly relevant (I only know this because I was reading the laws earlier today, I very much didn't know at the the time when I was 14).

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
My junior team start indoor league next month and I'm dreading it to be honest, my son played up a year last winter and the scoring is absolutely bewildering.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
There's no reference to a batter not being out if they thought they'd already been dismissed. In any case, I think the rules around when the ball is dead/live are different in indoor cricket and it's basically always possible to be run out at any time. @Audax can probably correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes. Or at least, the indoor cricket rules I played in Australia that is the case. The ball is *always live* unless a wicket has been taken (and confirmed by the umpire). You can actually steal runs if the bowler is stupid enough to turn their back returning to their run up start point. In indoor, you always assume that the ball is live (and thus a run out a possibility) at all times. Even if you think a wicket has already been taken, because the ball isn't dead until the umpire has actually given the batter out.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Nobody should ever, ever, under any circumstances be walking for an LBW. Simply put - its not actually possible for a batsman, looking AWAY from the stumps, to know with absolute certainty that the delivery would have struck them, or that it definitely hit his pads in line with them.

You can certainly know that you're in very great danger of being given out, but not that you definitely are.

Just to clarify he didn’t actually walk, more took a couple of steps forward expecting the umpires hand to go up and then when it didn’t he returned to his crease. The bails were then taken off and he was given run out. I’m fairly certain he’d made his ground unless he’d stepped back out again. It’s a lesson learnt for sure.

As someone else said he was fair game because he had shown he was a threat, he has no fear facing adult bowling now, his shot selection has improved massively over the last few months (he is no longer looking to smash every ball for a boundary). I think playing Sunday's for a local friendly village team without any pressure on him has helped him relax and think about things more. But he probably doesn't help himself that he's pretty gobby even at 14 when he's behind the stumps so he certainly has a target on his back most games.

My junior team start indoor league next month and I'm dreading it to be honest, my son played up a year last winter and the scoring is absolutely bewildering.

I scored my sons teams first game a couple of weeks ago. I can only score on the Play Cricket app, I've never learnt how to score in the book. It's bloody difficult to score on the app as the single for hitting the wall means the active batsman changes on the app but they haven't on the pitch so you have to change the facing batsman quickly before you end up getting in a right muddle. I was so glad when the first team captain showed up on Tuesday night and offered to score in the book.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

That's true, although I remember Steve Smith not waiting for one against Woakes back in 2019 and just turning his back and walking. He was more plumb than the ripest plumb in plumb land.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The boy played his second indoor game last night against our very local rivals (both clubs are based in the same town, and probably the favourites to win the whole thing.

In the end we lost by 28 runs but again our lads put up a good effort, restricting them to just 89 all out from 10.5 overs. Unfortunately only my lad (13) and our coach/captain (29) made any real runs so we were all out for 61 off 10.1 overs.

Quick question though concerning how my lad got out.

He was hit on the pads, big LBW appeal and he went to walk, took a couple of steps and then noticed the umpire had said no. One of the fielders then ran in with the ball in hand and took off the bails. Square Leg umpire gave him out. Now I personally think he’d got back into his crease before the bails were taken. My son was very philosophical about it as he said he was plum LBW and should have just walked anyway.

But my question is, considering it’s a friendly tournament and we are fielding a development team made up of 4 U14s an 18 year old and 1 adult captaining the side (they fielded a full adult team including their overseas player who wasn’t meant to play but we agreed to him playing), was it really in the spirit of the game to go for the run out like that? Would anyone else who plays have tried that in any game?
Yes, yes I would.

:cute:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here