Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Terminal

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Ive just had the misfortune to sit through this utter garbage excuse of a film starring Tom Hanks.

I though it would be ok due to its director but Ive got to be honest it stank my front room out. Boring and slow to start, turning into an unblievable typical garbage mish mash of a Hollywod film from about the middle to the end.

Warning, if youve not seen this do not waste any of your life on it!!!

Last edited:

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Albion Dan said:
Ive just had the misfortune to sit through this utter garbage excuse of a film starring Tom Hanks.

I though it would be ok due to its director but Ive got to be honest it stank my front room out. Boring and slow to start, turning into an unblievable typical garbage mish mash of a Hollywod filme from about the middle to hte end.

Warning, if youve not seen this do not waste any of your life on it!!!

Wife just watched it.I started to but what a pile of shite I went up stairs once he started to braek up the chairs to make a bed.I take it it went even more downhill after that

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
It was shocking. As if they would let a bloke live in a terminal for 9 months and work and earn money with the builders, utter utter shit.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Ha ha ask Spielberg what he thinks! I was slated for stating it was possibly the worst film i have seen in my life.By the end we were rolling about with laughter, it's so bad it's funny.What were they thinking?

Tom Hanks ='s :yawn: for me god knows what that new movie will be like, the one based on the book...ahhh..Divinci Code :nono:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
butchy said:
someone tried convincing me that the film is based on a true story however i dismissed their talk as excrement

The Terminal is based on the real life story of Merhan Karimi Nasseri. He is known as ‘Sir Alfred’ to those around him in the Charles De Gaulle Airport in France. The story of how he became known as Sir Alfred and became imprisoned in the airport since 1988 is downright scary. That's 18 years.

Essentially, we start with a man who had a Iranian father and a British mother. He was born and raise in Iran, but went to England to study. Unfortunately, his father died and he was forced to return to Iran just as the Shah was taking over – around 1977. Because he protested against the Shah (imagine that), he was expelled from Iran (where he was a citizen) and sent to Europe. Eventually he received ‘refugee status’ from the U.N. in 1981 (it took the U.N. a few years to figure out that he was a refugee, apparently) and lived in Belgium. However, Nasseri still had relatives in England as well as a burning desire to become a citizen of the country in which he received his higher education. So, eventually Nasseri decided to go to England to seek citizenship.

This is where the story quickly dissipates into a bureaucratic nightmare. While in Charles De Gaulle airport, Nasseri was mugged and his ‘papers’ indicating he was a refugee were stolen. He continued his trip to England, where he was quickly sent back to Paris because of a lack of ‘papers’. The French couldn’t decide where to deport him to (no ‘papers’), but they did quickly rule that he could not step outside of Charles De Gaulle airport without a Visa (not the credit card). So, Nasseri was trapped in Terminal 1, a cage as real as any prison. He found a human rights attorney who file numerous petitions on his behalf and the French Courts did rule in 1992 (four years later) that Nasseri was a political refugee and could not be tossed out of France. However, he still couldn’t leave the airport.

So how did Nasseri survive? The same way he does now, off of the goodness of the employees and visitors to Charles De Gaulle. He lived on food given to him and spent his time reading books borrowed from local shops and talking with those passing through the airport. This, in my opinion, is gut-wrenchingly sorrowful.

And yet it continues. Belgium refused to allow Nasseri back (under Belgian law, refugees who leave are not allowed to return). After repeated requests, the Belgian government did give in to some extent: in 1995, eight years after Nasseri had begun living in the airport, the Belgian government offered to let Nasseri return as long as lived under house arrest, basically. Nasseri refused the offer for obvious and no-so-obvious reasons, one of which was his degrading mental condition. Understand, he had lived in the airport for eight years, surviving only due to the kindness of others. He hadn’t even stepped out of the airport for a second during that time. His mental state wasn’t the best.

Finally, in September of 1999 – eleven years after first being stuck in the French airport – Nasseri was given French residency (finally!) and the ability to travel internationally. However, the cards list “Sir Alfred’s” citizenship as Iranian, which he has a problem with, so Nasseri refuses to sign them and therefore still cannot leave the airport. Obviously, Nasseri now has some mental problems likely caused by his injust incarceration.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Am I the only one who liked it?.......On my own, on my own, on my own:down:

And before you say anything, I have no taste;)

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
*chants* WHERE IS GARTH WHERE IS GARTH

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
afters said:
off to see the terminal i'd guess:wave:

"So the so-called experts of NSC once again are being patronising and telling people not to like something off just for being 'Hollywood trash'..." etc etc

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Man of Harveys said:
"So the so-called experts of NSC once again are being patronising and telling people not to like something off just for being 'Hollywood trash'..." etc etc

idmb rating 2.1

garth and a rumanian peasant love it!

Last edited:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
It may have been based on true events but the film was so obsurd, especially for an american airport, it was totally unrealistic.

As said above it is almost laugh out loud bad in places.

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
Djmiles said:
Am I the only one who liked it?.......On my own, on my own, on my own:down:

And before you say anything, I have no taste;)

No, no. You're not alone. I liked it too and I've got great taste..... OK so maybe I was having an off day.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
"I LOVE this MOVIEE - Thom Hancs is SO FUNNTY with his crazee akzxent = i reccomentt it to EVERYON!" 9.8

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
Poor film, wish holidaywood didn't always feel the need to change stories. Why did it have to be set in New York and not Paris, why did he have to come from some made up country, why did there have to be a love interest and how did he build a shrine for her in an airport?

Shame, could have been a good film.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here