Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] The Pink Coconut mid 80s

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Flounce

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2006
Nah but I worked behind the bar in Jenkinsons for a week, hated it. Especially wankers saying “are you free” :lolol:

Are you being served was big at the time

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Loved the place, had a membership card (which were ten a penny). Also went there on occasional Sunday nights with a girlfriend when Bolts club from London rented the place … amazing music.

My favourite track played on the regular nights was.

Coming from east of Brighton, we started in Shades about 8ish and drunkenly made way our way across The Lanes. Also Golden Fleece, Pump House, Frock N Jacket, Swifts.

Flounce

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2006
Loved the place, had a membership card (which were ten a penny). Also went there on occasional Sunday nights with a girlfriend when Bolts club from London rented the place … amazing music.

My favourite track played on the regular nights was.

Coming from east of Brighton, we started in Shades about 8ish and drunkenly made way our way across The Lanes. Also Golden Fleece, Pump House, Frock N Jacket, Swifts.

Shades and Hove Place I loved, the Hungry Years not so much

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Yep for about two year on weekends between the ages of 18 & 20. Probably because I used to go to the Top Rank Suite from the age of 12 on a Tuesday night, I had grown out of clubbing by the age of 20.
The best times for the Top Rank was early 70s Sat/Sun night. It was rammed. Bouncers on bottom of stairs stopping anyone who looked younger than 16 going up to the alcohol bars upstairs. :drink:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The best times for the Top Rank was early 70s Sat/Sun night. It was rammed. Bouncers on bottom of stairs stopping anyone who looked younger than 16 going up to the alcohol bars upstairs. :drink:

Wasn’t that Tuesday nights? All the continental language students packed the place out.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Ditto 60s - last bus home on a Sunday night, wrecked on rum and blacks, well hungover for school in the morning. 😂

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Rory was a good friend with Devine. They both sadly died early Ihink Rory was 37 and Devine 51

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Wasn’t that Tuesday nights? All the continental language students packed the place out.
Monday and Tuesday darts and pool nights for me. :(

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
IMG_2024-10-05-203232.png
Rory was a good friend with Devine. They both sadly died early Ihink Rory was 37 and Devine 51

Used to see Rory in Rounder Records buying. Incredbile DJ. Ended up in Portsmouth of all places.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Did the HY have more males than females? I realise a long time ago. I never met a female rocker, but in the sixth form there were a load of lads into Saxon, ACDC.
Did also frequent the nightclub on Eastbourne pier way back.
I think it used to be called the Showbar or Dixieland

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I was very good friends with Andy Crock who DJ’d across Brighton in the late 80s / early 90s but he too sadly died way before his time, still in his twenties.

It seems some people are destined to burn bright but just for the briefest of times.

Good thread, US.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Did also frequent the nightclub on Eastbourne pier way back.
I think it used to be called the Showbar or Dixieland

We did that once in a while, when a friend moaned about Brighton. Did it ever get called Roxy’s? But a drag for the designated drink a bit less driver.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The 1.30 am slow dance slot was the key, lol waiting for the first chimes of careless whisper or true

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here