Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 'Official' Olympic thread - sub section - Cycling

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
i think stat brother might be suggesting that 'Froome for Gold' is the tip for Wednesday.
wot wot I never said that :whistle:

All hell will break lose if he's deemed to have 'ridden for himself' today.

I can't actually see it myself by hey, just putting it out there.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Gutted for Cav and the other four team members. Watching in Richmond Park and it was a fantastic atmosphere. Millar was about a minute behind the pelaton with 15km to go and Froome a further minute back so they must have worked themselves into the ground. Really looking forward to the timetrial now.

Just back. Watched from the A24 just before they turned onto the climb. It was a great atmosphere - and the official car parks worked like clockwork.

Denbies had a cycle fair and a big screen so we managed to watch the finish there.

The speed of the peleton is amazing - and the closeness to the crowd was disconcerting when many people seemed to take lots of chances - particulary taking photos.

It looked like driving the peleton took too much out of the team - as Cav said other teams seemed to prefer UK not to win, than try to win themselves. A bit of a baffling sporting attitude.
I'm glad you boys had a good time.
It looked fantastic on TV, totally rammed for the whole course.

Dave Millar said that, in the nicest possible way, the crowd was part of the problem. So much noise they couldn't talk to each other.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
What a disappointing day, like I said , too much of a lottery and today just highlights how utterly unsatisfactory 1 days cycle racing is to determine the best cyclist in the world. I said as much to my friends today (we watched in Abinger) and they just couldn't understand why racing from A to B in a single day wouldn't determine the best cyclist in the world.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Superb atmosphere in Richmond Park.
Shame about the result

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
David Millar ‏@millarmind
I think [MENTION=12437]Mark[/MENTION]Cavendish needs a hug from the nation. Normally he's angry when he loses, today he was just sad. He feels like he let GB down.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We get it, you do not understand cycling or even like it. So why do you have to bother watching it and then posting ill informed nonsense?
I'm an expert by comparison.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
and it didn't take long, did it.
When the coverage keeps you up to date on the times, it's pretty straightforward. I didn't see the race today (building a climbing frame for the kids), but the coverage sounds pretty bad.

Like Cav, I cannot understand why no one else helped. The were 3 medals up for grabs, it's not like Cav could have won them all.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Good day out today, even if the result didn't go quite as liked.

Anyone know when the race proper started, as we watched them from Constution Hill and as ever it never fails to leave me stunned just how fast they go, and that was during what must still have been the neutralised start. I can report Peter Sagan was getting huge cheers from everyone as he warmed up down The Mall about half hour before the start. I'd post pics of Lars Boom's other half but I feel it might get too many all worked up on here :lol:

Having watched the start of the race live we walked up to Hyde Park to watch coverage on the big screens. Was disappointed at the lack of big screens next to the course and so we had to make a decision whether to stay in Hyde Park for the big screen or take up a place early enough to see the race comeback to the finish again and miss seeing how it finished. I was hoping for a real party atmosphere in Hyde Park come a bunch sprint finish and the win most of us was hoping for but hey ho. In hindesight we should have cut our loses when it became obvious that big lead group was away and we could have rushed down to try to catch a glimpse of Vino and Uran bomb past followed by the lead group and peleton down on Brompton Road, but not to be. The crowds were huge today, just like for TdF a few years back, and it was great to be a part of it.

Anyone heard any news on Spartacus? Really hoping he's ok for Wednesday's time trial as I want to see the best in the world there, regardless of the big threat he poses to any GB medal hopes. Will be a real shame if he can't make it, what with Tony Martin still carrying that wrist injury, meaning he'll probably still not be at his best.

As for GB tactics today - I think they did everything they could given the circumstances. As we all knew, it was a tough ask controlling a race of that quality with only 5 men instead of 9. And why would anyone else want to work and hand a win to Cav ? Bit disappointed Germany didn't back Griepel to give Cav a run for his money, but then they got what they deserved for that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Gilbert and to a lesser extent Nibali were the only guys trying to break the race up, early.
It all kicked off cresting B/H for the last time.
GB let a 20+ strong break go, when it was in touching distance, and never got it back.
Germany did nothing, they had nobody in the break, either.

Cancellara is done, collar bone, I think.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Gilbert and to a lesser extent Nibali were the only guys trying to break the race up, early.
It all kicked off cresting B/H for the last time.
GB let a 20+ strong break go, when it was in touching distance, and never got it back.
Germany did nothing, they had nobody in the break, either.

Cancellara is done, collar bone, I think.

Yep, fair play to Gilbert and Nibali for having a real go. I was pleased to see old Stuart O'grady rewarded for all his hard work today with a 6th place finish too.

Real shame about Cancellara if that is indeed the case :( Gutted to see him go down and also to see Tom Boonen have a machanical too. Either of those two attacking off the front in the latter stages would have pleased me a whole lot more than seeing Vino do it instead. Why the f*&% let Vino go off like that!?, that lead group is experienced enough to surely know by now what he's capable off in those situations. I was willing Uran to do him, but it was never going to happen really was it.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
David Millar ‏@millarmind
I think [MENTION=12437]Mark[/MENTION]Cavendish needs a hug from the nation. Normally he's angry when he loses, today he was just sad. He feels like he let GB down.

He did.

:lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was willing Uran to do him, but it was never going to happen really was it.
Me to, if only to save us from having to wait for the drugs test.

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
Dave Millar said that, in the nicest possible way, the crowd was part of the problem. So much noise they couldn't talk to each other.

Wasn't that Tejay van Garderen's excuse for not helping Cadel after the tack affair!?

Millar also said Cav had the legs to get into the final break but had enough faith in his team mates' ability to close it down, shame he didn't go for it.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Stuart O'Grady's ride was immense. Started the original breakaway so early, drove it along and to still finish 6th in the end was a big effort for a guy at his 6th Olympics.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Stuart O'Grady's ride was immense. Started the original breakaway so early, drove it along and to still finish 6th in the end was a big effort for a guy at his 6th Olympics.

Well said !

See my post earlier. That's one outcome I'm well pleased with today.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Seems Cav is blaming the Australians for ruining his chances.

Cavendish lamented the lack of help that the British team received and singled out the Australians.

"No one wants to help us, the Australians just sit there," Cavendish told the BBC.

"They always just ride negatively as well.

"They had one guy, Stu, he was not going to win from that front group.

"They were just happy to see us lose."

What a cry baby.

Why would the Australians help you when they have a man in the breakaway.

He must have also missed that negative move by Mick Rogers to get off the front and try to get over to the breakaway.

Last edited:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Yep, fair play to Gilbert and Nibali for having a real go. I was pleased to see old Stuart O'grady rewarded for all his hard work today with a 6th place finish too.

Real shame about Cancellara if that is indeed the case :( Gutted to see him go down and also to see Tom Boonen have a machanical too. Either of those two attacking off the front in the latter stages would have pleased me a whole lot more than seeing Vino do it instead. Why the f*&% let Vino go off like that!?, that lead group is experienced enough to surely know by now what he's capable off in those situations. I was willing Uran to do him, but it was never going to happen really was it.

Major screw up by the Spanish. 3 in the group and no medal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here