Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The careers of Solly March and Anthony Knockaert

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just as several others have said on this thread, l loved watching both.

I just want to reiterate, I wasn't looking for people to take sides nor choose a favourite. Both were, and in the case of Solly, continue to be, fantastic servants of the club and have made massive contributions to the nosebleed territory we currently occupy.

My point was merely that I don't think many people could have confidently picked how the years following promotion would have played out for both players.

BiffyBoy100

Apr 20, 2020
Yep - odd that some still keep progressing that view - every manager we've had has had him in the starting XI. DeZ pointed him out before he even took charge as someone with real
There is still this idea that Solly had a lower standard and worked hard to get where he is now.
As I said previously, two cruciate injuries held Solly back. He was playing for England U21s, scoring a worldy against Denmark, at the Amex. He always had the ability.

I know it's not quite a Jamie Vardy story but the idea that he came from a lower league is true.

Solly made his England under 20’s debut in 2014 but was still a fringe player at the club. In 2014 Knocky had already played with Leicester in the Premier league.

This is where attitude comes into play, one player has the arrogance and mindset of an already established premier league player and the other was still breaking through with a different mindset.

I’m sure scouts had already seen that potential at Lewes and before that.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There is still this idea that Solly had a lower standard and worked hard to get where he is now.
As I said previously, two cruciate injuries held Solly back. He was playing for England U21s, scoring a worldy against Denmark, at the Amex. He always had the ability.

I think those two injuries are the key here, and their occurrence were doubly unfortunate because, IIRC, Solly was in fine form when they happened.
Knockaert was simply box office in the Championship, but didn't take to the PL. Ultimately his lack of searing pace held him back, coupled with the arrogance that made him so special in our rise, better defenders, and difficult personal circumstances. For our first PL season, Izquierdo was our best winger, and Knockaert deteriorated further in the second PL seaosn.
While I don't want to claim that Solly was a better winger than Knockaert when in the Championship, his talent, skill, pace and work rate were abundantly obvious. I can remember disagreeing violently when others were claiming that Skalak and Murphy were better options at the time. When fit and on fire, Solly could also devastate the opposition -- he turned the game when he came on for that wonderful comeback away at Birmingham.
As Solly has proved under all three PL managers, he's a model pro and carries out instructions impeccably. He's so fit and fast too, really strong now, and delighted that he's found the back of the net twice of late. I suspect we'll see more this season too. He's just behind Ali Mac as our PotS for me currently.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Oh so that’s a bad thing? How dare an ex player turn up to watch us.
Warren Aspinwall does it every week!
I think Knocky thinks he has a bond with the club, especially with how he was supported through his difficult personal tragedies.
He was one of the key reasons we got promoted to the PL, and I for one am grateful for what he did for us. I think it is a shame he wasn't able to shine in the same way in the PL, but Solly clearly has developed a better all round game (if you ignore one minor issue at times) and is much more consistent than Knocky ever was.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
There is no way he would fit in the current team ethos, with Knocky everything was about him and when it didn't go right he would sulk out on the wing.

What we have now is a incredible team ethic of values and winning mentality.
Very wise words, which I just happen to align with.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think those two injuries are the key here, and their occurrence were doubly unfortunate because, IIRC, Solly was in fine form when they happened.
Knockaert was simply box office in the Championship, but didn't take to the PL. Ultimately his lack of searing pace held him back, coupled with the arrogance that made him so special in our rise, better defenders, and difficult personal circumstances. For our first PL season, Izquierdo was our best winger, and Knockaert deteriorated further in the second PL seaosn.
While I don't want to claim that Solly was a better winger than Knockaert when in the Championship, his talent, skill, pace and work rate were abundantly obvious. I can remember disagreeing violently when others were claiming that Skalak and Murphy were better options at the time. When fit and on fire, Solly could also devastate the opposition -- he turned the game when he came on for that wonderful comeback away at Birmingham.
As Solly has proved under all three PL managers, he's a model pro and carries out instructions impeccably. He's so fit and fast too, really strong now, and delighted that he's found the back of the net twice of late. I suspect we'll see more this season too. He's just behind Ali Mac as our PotS for me currently.
Good point that 3 different managers have rated him.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I suspect the only people who might have picked Solly have coached him at some point.
I certainly would never have picked Solly not to have a decent career though - while willing and following instructions alone doesn't get you to the very top it does get you a long way, and he's certainly always had that.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
A interesting PS to this is that of course AK was partly signed that January only because Solly had been injured (v Derby in the 2-2 draw a few weeks before). He didn’t return for nearly a year - most remember his cameo off the bench v Birmingham in Dec 2016 reminding us what he could do. That’s over 6 years ago now !!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Its like comparing chalk and cheese, both useful but for different circumstances.

March is a manager's dream , very steady, very capable , play anywhere , sensible player. From a fans point sometimes frustrating but over overlooked because of his no nonsense steady contribution. Emotionally appears to manage the ups and downs.

AK was a manager's nightmare and a lottery regards which person turned up but on his day (and he had many in the championship) ,he was a match winner. Possibly one of the most exciting players we have seen (getting Fans of their seats) so a fans favourite. Difficult to fit in a team which was essentially poor ( PL Level) and focussed on defence. Too fragile to deal with criticism and hence once not wanted by Brighton just lost it.

So what we all know - football skill is only a small part of being successful as a top footballer and that physical and mental strength are equally (possible more) important.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I suspect the only people who might have picked Solly have coached him at some point.
I certainly would never have picked Solly not to have a decent career though - while willing and following instructions alone doesn't get you to the very top it does get you a long way, and he's certainly always had that.
Willing, following instructions AND great talent.

Millions of kids dream of starring in the EPL, only a minuscule proportion had/have the talent of Solly.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Solly just seems more relatable to than Knocky ever did. He's like one of us made good. And in that respect - then, no; it wouldn't have been him I would have tipped to be the more successful PL player.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Not at the Amex

1:05 here:

7E4EA092-FF93-40F8-B2CB-EA48B20288BB.jpeg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No I wouldn't have guessed it.

Clearly temperament is the difference. Solly has what's required at this level, Knocy, unfortunately, doesn't.

It always amuses me when Solly comes over to take a corner, his chant will start and he will seem to be unaware of it, but will eventually give us a little clap, without breaking stride. He knows he should acknowledge us, and does, but his focus is 100% on his game.

Very similar temperament to Groß
And a little bit shy.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Knocky was one of the most exciting players I'd ever watched.

Him and Bruno down that side together were utterly unplayable when they turned it on, 'simply box-office' as JC (I think) said on the radio.

I think it's such a pity it never worked out for him in the PL, whatever the reasons.

Solly though... consistently picked by different managers in every Premier League season. Knows his job, does it well and now back in the goals.

Solly is less exciting. But he's better.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Two very different players.
Knocky was mercurial, absolutely unplayable in some games in the Championship, very much the highly strung maverick genius.
Solly is a plodder, and I mean that in the nicest way possible, he has improved year on year by getting his head down and working hard. Now, he is one of the first names on the team sheet. His longevity in the club is a tribute to his single mindedness.

I love both of them equally, I wish it could have turned out better for Knocky, but, I'm glad Silly is now reaping the acclaim his football deserves.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Both brilliant players in different ways.

There are two players who made me involuntarily stand up when they went on a run & dribble in the Amex era. One was Vicente, the other Knockaert. Both amazing at just ghosting around the opposition in the Championship.

However, Solly’s positioning, tactical awareness and passing game are a level up from Knocky. He is a managers dream, I don’t suspect many managers would describe Knocky as that.

Despite how integral and important Knocky is in our history, Solly has overtaken him and is up there with Dunk, Murray, Bissouma and Groß in terms of being one of our EPL legends.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here