Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Albion - Close season - victim of your own success

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Just got to keep the conveyor belt rolling.

This for me.

As fans we want to see this team improve and achieve extraordinary things in the stripes.

TB's vision is to use each signing as a stepping stone to gradually increase the standing of the club.
The progress is incremental season on season.

If it ultimately delivers the type of success we crave, I think it is highly unlikely that any of our current prospects, will feature in that squad.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
This for me.

As fans we want to see this team improve and achieve extraordinary things in the stripes.

TB's vision is to use each signing as a stepping stone to gradually increase the standing of the club.
The progress is incremental season on season.

If it ultimately delivers the type of success we crave, I think it is highly unlikely that any of our current prospects, will feature in that squad.

We've seen defenders go, and improvements arrive . . . likwise was sorry to see Propper go but the replacements have been superb

no comment re strikers. :rolleyes:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We've seen defenders go, and improvements arrive . . . likwise was sorry to see Propper go but the replacements have been superb

no comment re strikers. :rolleyes:

Your signature is ageing like a pair of 70s flares :wink:

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
This was the plan. It will be managed. We'll miss a good player or maybe two, but we'll be okay.

I believe that we can also use the money from a couple of big sales to fund some more exciting youngsters.

. . . or even a Stri . . . . nah.

Absolutely was the plan. No one minds missing a good player or two. But when it comes to a talent like Bissouma (a Champions League Footballer) then the emotions are more mixed. Just one all-fit-and-firing season of Biss, Caicedo and Mwepu could see Brighton do something quite extraordinary... if we get a Stri.... nah:lol:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think we could lose any 2 Midfielders and still have a strong midfield with the players already here, losing Cucurella or Sanchez would be my biggest concerns.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The current trend is for players to run down their contracts despite their badge kissing and PR messages to the contrary. Mbappe, Rudiger and Salah are 3 of the most high profile and our club is no different. Trossard, Maupay, Macallister and of course Bissouma are the most obvious examples and Macallister is the only one i'd put money on signing a new deal. There's no way we will let the deals run down on all of those players given they will all walk for nothing. Personal view is that Trossard and Bissouma are as good as gone this summer. Enjoy them while you can.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think we all pretty much accept that Bissouma will be off (leading to a summer of lazy journalism on the lines of 'Brighton have lost Bissouma, therefore they are in for X.Y or Z to fill their DM gap' - probably an easier option for them than learning how to spell Caicedo!).
We do need to get Veltman and (absolute priority this) Mac Allister signed on to new contracts.
Duffy and Gross (despite the stats that continually show that he's contributing more of everything than all the rest put together!) may well depart. We've got a choice of top Championship CDs to replace Duffy, and our midfield is starting to look very good.
Maupay and Trossard - big question marks.

Last edited:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Did I hear that Newcastle stole our stats guy. Apparently he was a huge part of the back room staff. That said, TB is in the stats business and has someone in his staff who can take over.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I think if you looked at every club, they would probably have a similar list on their 'worst-case' scenario.

What you can be confident of is that TB and co will have a plan in place for any one – or all – of those departures. We've seen before that whenever someone is shipped out (regardless of sold on or deemed surplus to requirements) the replacement is often on a par or an upgrade.

Not too concerned about any of them, to be honest. Players and managers come and go – we just have to trust in the people making the decisions...

Exactly -In TB we trust. All successful organisations are prone to be raided for their treasures, we are no different.

TNBA

TTF

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
OP.

There's only one thing to worry about as a Brighton fan. That's Tony Bloom going, (one way or another).

All the time he is here, the club will be run professionally and with a plan in place for the future and the necessary finance to cover short term needs will be there.

Yes, players will be sold, but every summer, since we've been up, we've signed players nobody has expected us to sign and our success rate over the 5 years has been very good, (as evidenced by the league table). Even if we don't sign any first team players, the first fruits of the academy have come through and done brilliantly. And there are plenty more where they came from.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The current trend is for players to run down their contracts despite their badge kissing and PR messages to the contrary. Mbappe, Rudiger and Salah are 3 of the most high profile and our club is no different. Trossard, Maupay, Macallister and of course Bissouma are the most obvious examples and Macallister is the only one i'd put money on signing a new deal. There's no way we will let the deals run down on all of those players given they will all walk for nothing. Personal view is that Trossard and Bissouma are as good as gone this summer. Enjoy them while you can.

Yeah I'm starting to be concerned about this trend as it has the potential to smash a massive hole in our transfer/development strategy.
If the financial advantage lies with the player signing as a free agent, why bother accepting a deal in the final year of your contract?

What happens if any of our players refuse to finalise personal terms with any prospective buyers?
Can the club force a sale of a player?

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Right now we're worrying about losing some of that mentioned list, but next summer it could be that after a good season with us we're worried about losing Mitoma, Undav. Van Hecke etc... The business model is now one that keeps this process going, we buy players cheap and sell a few on for inflated fees, all the while hopefully keeping us a Premier League team and improving each year.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Your signature is ageing like a pair of 70s flares :wink:

One swallow doesn't make a summer

P 35
Scored 34

:rolleyes:

If rumours are to be believed Newcastle are our biggest threat . . .rather than rebuild they're just going to buy BHAFC whole staff

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here