Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

That's it i'm off to Gerrmany

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Must admit it does seem a very attractive place to be.

What struck me was the cost of living in Berlin, which is considerably cheaper than living in London or even Brighton. Plus they still let you smoke in pubs there.

The trains are cheaper, faster, more comfortable AND more reliable than anything in our our fragmented rail network in Britain. You can enjoy any number of lagers or wheat beers from the onboard bar if you're on an Intercity train too, which is wonderful. Served in an ACTUAL glass that you can take back to your table whilst awaiting a hot currywurst or similar. Now that's how public transport should be.

Of course there are some downsides. I'm not a great fan of German food for one thing BUT as with any major European city you're going to be catered for no matter what you like.

I like Berlin because it's arty, underground and unconventional whilst still being organised, clean and safe. It also has a fantastic electronic music scene and genuine 24 hour nightlife. But there are plenty of other German cities with their own draws.

And of course you can't ignore the fact that they really do know beer.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Weird, I found German to be the easiest by far of any language I've studied.

Including the bizarre grammar? Nominative, Dative, Accusative, Genitive, including the articles and changing the ending of the adjectives.. Nah, French was much easier.. granted, if your other languages were Finnish, Russian and Chinese, I can take your point

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Including the bizarre grammar? Nominative, Dative, Accusative, Genitive, including the articles and changing the ending of the adjectives.. Nah, French was much easier.. granted, if your other languages were Finnish, Russian and Chinese, I can take your point

I would think that TWOCHOICE Storm was talking of eneral conversational German to be understoood and understand them rather than to take exams etc. I found that easy but was probably way out on the grammar etc.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
I would think that TWOCHOICE Storm was talking of eneral conversational German to be understoood and understand them rather than to take exams etc. I found that easy but was probably way out on the grammar etc.

Yeah, conversational didnt take me long and luckily most of my work has been in English, but I am now looking for work out here, sadly then you really need to step up..

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Not forgetting that little thing called language....... I was there last week, its tough to make yourself understood, even so the place is great.

Didn't you try SHOUTING?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

German's much easier if you'd spent five years doing Latin with Mr Watson - I spit at just four cases. I used to speak German and French pretty well and found German much the easier of the two.

I must say that I don't have many regrets in life but 20 years ago, I and a couple of female friends hatched a plan to move to Berlin. We were all single, all had just been made redundant and all of us spoke German pretty well. Our plans were far advanced and then my father died and I had to spend the next 9 months sorting out his estate, doing up his house and getting my money back from a bent solicitor. By the time that lot had been dealt with, I'd lost the impetus but when I look back at my life, I think that will be the only "I should have done"

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
If you are looking to escape the madness its a choice between Asia & South America.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
German's much easier if you'd spent five years doing Latin with Mr Watson - I spit at just four cases. I used to speak German and French pretty well and found German much the easier of the two.

I must say that I don't have many regrets in life but 20 years ago, I and a couple of female friends hatched a plan to move to Berlin. We were all single, all had just been made redundant and all of us spoke German pretty well. Our plans were far advanced and then my father died and I had to spend the next 9 months sorting out his estate, doing up his house and getting my money back from a bent solicitor. By the time that lot had been dealt with, I'd lost the impetus but when I look back at my life, I think that will be the only "I should have done"

You shouldn't have listened to those voices in your head Max that told you to do it.

I know the secret about the red shoes remember......

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1

Erm German is not a latin based language.

Hence why you found it easier, as nor is English. English is based on German.

Lived on German border for 3 years, some good cities, but you can't beat England.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Erm German is not a latin based language.

Hence why you found it easier, as nor is English. English is based on German.

Lived on German border for 3 years, some good cities, but you can't beat England.

Nope, but when it comes to grammar, having a Latin background definitely helps. How else can you understand dative? The only time we use it correctly is when we write "To whom it may concern"... They use it everywhere...

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I was there in the army in the early 60s, permanently pissed as an 18 year old squaddie. The language is quite easy to pick up, after a short while of living there as in many respects it is similar to ours, I spoke it quite well but all forgotten now as I haven't used it for over 45 year but went there a few years back and certain things came back to me.

pretty much this except it was the 70s

70's too and agree the perm pissed bit but I hated it, a miserable grey place and the only locals that wanted to mix were the tarts - most probably because their town was full of pissed squaddies!

But more recently was in and out of Hamburg a lot on business and that's a great place, could defo see myself settling there

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here