Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stepping into the line of fire

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Before anyone else abuses you for asking - I have always taken it to mean Johnny Come Lately and Johnny Come Back.
Thanks Medway...it's always risky asking here, what appears to most, as a silly question. I understood the gist but not the acronym

At the real risk of raising my head above the parapet. All this talk of JCL, JCB and "where we're you when we were shit?" is really grinding my gears.

The real issue is that Bill Archer and David Bellotti sold the Goldstone ground from under us. Effectively not only making BHA homeless but denying thousands of fans the possibility of watching their local team.

My first game was 7th September 1984, a 3-1 win over Blackburn Rovers, I went all the time after that with my dad and then my friends right up to 1997. Football mad I was. My sister even got picked to be a mascot. One of the most painful moments in my life was the 3-1 loss to notts at Wembley in '91

Then those pirates Archer and Bellotti asset stripped the club. Took away our home and killed football for me. From that moment on I had no passion for the game anymore. I was 17 and couldn't get to Priestfield Stadium, I couldn't pick up a copy of gulls eye on the way to the match or walk in the masses of fans under the bridge on fonthill road. That was taken away from me. Football on the whole was dialled down a notch entirely for me even on the international level. At the Withdean I went a few times but it was never the same. It was hard to get tickets, I'd sit there watching the game and all I could see was the running track that I used to be made to run round on schools sports days. It saddened me. It actually hurt to go to the Withdean but I went as often as I could.

I still think those boys who stuck with it, who shouted the loudest travelled and endured are bloody heros and I'm very proud of the club for having people like them. They deserve the acknowledgment.

But here's the thing this club is lucky to still be playing football at all. Goal difference away from dropping out the league??!? Think we'd have survived that as a club? I think not!

If Brighton had had a ground for all those years all these these JCL's would have been there all along. These plastic Man U and Liverpool fans would have been wearing blue and white stripes. It was taken from them. You see more and more seagulls shirts now then ever before especially on the kids. Over the next 2 years as the stadium expands we need to fill an extra 8000 seats. That's more than the capacity of the Withdean for the love of god.

A JCL/JCB is a football refugee and we need to welcome them home as family. To build the club into something bigger than its ever been. It shames me when I see cynical nasty comments. It comes from the hard core but they are the ones who should be rallying the new boys to the flag. Granted some of them ( new fans) don't know what they are talking about but that will change in time.

Football is back for me. I haven't felt this since 1997. It was missing all through my 20's. My fingernails are ruined now and I've travelled this season long distances to see the team get gubbed a few times, experienced genuine heart ache and I've loved it. Every moment. But if it wasn't for the new stadium, being actually able to go regularly at home and watch my team.... I wouldn't have been able to invest so much to do that. And that's a fact for 10,000 JCL's.

lay off the newbies. It's not their fault. Blame Archer.
only a handful of post from you sir! not sure that gives you much of a right to spout off!:facepalm:where were you on a wet tuesday night up in north kent!:moo::moo:

huge

Mar 23, 2011
only a handful of post from you sir! not sure that gives you much of a right to spout off![/COLOR]:facepalm:[/FONT]where were you on a wet tuesday night up in north kent!:moo::moo:[/QUOTE]

Ok right to spout off? The law of the land? But not by the law of NSC. This is entirely my point. Thank you for very eloquently proving it. In terms of number of posts? All I would say judge the quality rather then the quantity.
Thank you for your opinion though. It is valid.

only a handful of post from you sir! not sure that gives you much of a right to spout off![/COLOR]:facepalm:[/FONT]where were you on a wet tuesday night up in north kent!:moo::moo:

Ok right to spout off? The law of the land? But not by the law of NSC. This is entirely my point. Thank you for very eloquently proving it. In terms of number of posts? All I would say judge the quality rather then the quantity.
Thank you for your opinion though. It is valid.[/QUOTE]

:moo:Another post! keep going you'll get there fella!:moo:

huge

Mar 23, 2011

:moo:Another post! keep going you'll get there fella!:moo:[/QUOTE]

Ha! I see what you did there. Clever. Chalk one more down for me!

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I do have a problem with JCL who don't know how to act at a game of football and leaving early really bugs me, but that doesn't take anything away from what you've written. Good post.

Im not one that leaves early but your comments are miles off if you think that its only the newbies who leave early. Do you actually believe that?

An excellent post from Huge! I can totally understand where your at with that. Its the same feeling for me too. When the goldstone was sold, i was done too. Never felt the same, until now!!

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

:moo:Another post! keep going you'll get there fella!:moo:[/QUOTE]

The more you play up to ROTR the more he enjoys it! Learn - Ignore and carry on.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
At the real risk of raising my head above the parapet. All this talk of JCL, JCB and "where we're you when we were shit?" is really grinding my gears.

The real issue is that Bill Archer and David Bellotti sold the Goldstone ground from under us. Effectively not only making BHA homeless but denying thousands of fans the possibility of watching their local team.

My first game was 7th September 1984, a 3-1 win over Blackburn Rovers, I went all the time after that with my dad and then my friends right up to 1997. Football mad I was. My sister even got picked to be a mascot. One of the most painful moments in my life was the 3-1 loss to notts at Wembley in '91

Then those pirates Archer and Bellotti asset stripped the club. Took away our home and killed football for me. From that moment on I had no passion for the game anymore. I was 17 and couldn't get to Priestfield Stadium, I couldn't pick up a copy of gulls eye on the way to the match or walk in the masses of fans under the bridge on fonthill road. That was taken away from me. Football on the whole was dialled down a notch entirely for me even on the international level. At the Withdean I went a few times but it was never the same. It was hard to get tickets, I'd sit there watching the game and all I could see was the running track that I used to be made to run round on schools sports days. It saddened me. It actually hurt to go to the Withdean but I went as often as I could.

I still think those boys who stuck with it, who shouted the loudest travelled and endured are bloody heros and I'm very proud of the club for having people like them. They deserve the acknowledgment.

But here's the thing this club is lucky to still be playing football at all. Goal difference away from dropping out the league??!? Think we'd have survived that as a club? I think not!

If Brighton had had a ground for all those years all these these JCL's would have been there all along. These plastic Man U and Liverpool fans would have been wearing blue and white stripes. It was taken from them. You see more and more seagulls shirts now then ever before especially on the kids. Over the next 2 years as the stadium expands we need to fill an extra 8000 seats. That's more than the capacity of the Withdean for the love of god.

A JCL/JCB is a football refugee and we need to welcome them home as family. To build the club into something bigger than its ever been. It shames me when I see cynical nasty comments. It comes from the hard core but they are the ones who should be rallying the new boys to the flag. Granted some of them ( new fans) don't know what they are talking about but that will change in time.

Football is back for me. I haven't felt this since 1997. It was missing all through my 20's. My fingernails are ruined now and I've travelled this season long distances to see the team get gubbed a few times, experienced genuine heart ache and I've loved it. Every moment. But if it wasn't for the new stadium, being actually able to go regularly at home and watch my team.... I wouldn't have been able to invest so much to do that. And that's a fact for 10,000 JCL's.

lay off the newbies. It's not their fault. Blame Archer.

Good shout, I think there is a good percentage of BHA fans who are now regulars who dipped in and out for a few years........our away following in someways (perversely) benefitted from our arduous journey. We never had trouble selling out the bigger games we had. To that extent i don't think there are loads and loads of JCLs as it were.

That said I am a bit old fashioned and consider that following the Albion is a genuine case of "when in Rome".

The bona fide JCLs need to get a bit of time under their belts and shut the f*ck up unless they are being positive or constructive. So, they should sing GOSBTS as fast as they like, dont moan about the songs away fans chant and dont go on about a f*cking drum...............if they do we should chuck 'em in the oven as far as I'm concerned.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
OK Huge....so where were you?....... Seriously tho.......I was a JCL at one time......albeit 1958....and in those days there was no forum, no footie on telly,very little away travel so it was a case...born in Brighton...support Brighton at Brighton....everybody has to start somewhere and with 8,000 new seats soon, we need new fans...so JCLs and JCBs welcome.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here