Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Squad dilemmas 24/25

Which players with 12 months remaining deserve a new contract?

• Pascal Gross

Votes: 112 93.3%
  • Joel Veltman

Votes: 88 73.3%
  • Jakub Moder

Votes: 71 59.2%
  • Tariq Lamptey

Votes: 48 40.0%

• Total voters

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
He's an excellent player. I really enjoy watching intelligent footballers and he definitely falls into that camp. Rarely makes a mistake and I suspect next season will be huge for him.
I think a change of manager might be exactly what Jakub needs. He wasn't ideal for Roberto's style, especially after losing Mac / Caicedo but his athleticism and running power might be perfect for another coach. Needs to work on his finishing though!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Gross wil go this season or next, whether we like it or not.

It would be good to keep Veltman around as a squad option but doubt he will sign a new contract and will be gone as well.

Moder I would be keen to keep around depending on if the new manager thinks he will make use of his attributes.

Lamptey needs to be moved on, not reliable enough.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Surprised at the lack of love for Moder. He’s quick and physical, and can tackle well. I appreciate we’ve only seen cameos from him in the last couple of seasons, but I think it’s one where we’re going to look bloody foolish if we let him saunter off to thrive elsewhere. It’s not an area where we’ve loads of cover regardless.
If my wife posted on NSC, you might see a bit more love expressed for Moder.

I have a lot of time for Moder and still think he will fulfill his potential with us. Just needs to stay fit and get a run of games.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Gross, unless he wants to go back home in which case he goes with our blessing.

I wouldn’t offer Veltman or Lamptey contracts, neither fit enough.

I was encouraged by some of Moder’s performances, would like to see him play a bit more before deciding for sure but would ideally offer him an extension.
Veltman strikes me as just the sort of player we'd look to sign in the Lallana/Welbeck/Milner mould if he were at another club... probably for a low (ish) fee, fairly high wages, but versatile and has a lot of experience to bring to the squad, even though he wouldn't necessarily play 90 minutes every week.
Personally, I'd keep him (unless the medical team know of a good reason to let him go)

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I think a change of manager might be exactly what Jakub needs. He wasn't ideal for Roberto's style, especially after losing Mac / Caicedo but his athleticism and running power might be perfect for another coach. Needs to work on his finishing though!
Did feck all with Potter as well.

Premier League stats with Moder in the starting elelven

Total starts: 33
Goals: 0
Assists: 1

Wins: 6
Draw 12
Losses: 15

Goals for: 24
Goals against: 44

Pure misery. Not all his fault but imho he's done feck all and if he looked like Steve Cooper, everyone would have agreed.

Sarisbury Seagull

Solly March Fan Club
NSC Patron
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Veltman strikes me as just the sort of player we'd look to sign in the Lallana/Welbeck/Milner mould if he were at another club... probably for a low (ish) fee, fairly high wages, but versatile and has a lot of experience to bring to the squad, even though he wouldn't necessarily play 90 minutes every week.
Personally, I'd keep him (unless the medical team know of a good reason to let him go)
Definitely worth having around next season but he'll be 33.5 when his contract expires and with his fitness as it is, I just don't think it would be worth keeping him beyond that. Bearing in mind we'll still have Welbeck who'll be 34 then and Dunk will nearly be 34 plus hopefully Gross who'll also be turning 34 that summer, I just can't see the need to keep him for the experience alone. We can only afford to carry so many of those older pro's.

7dialssouthpaw

Sep 10, 2022
Veltman is possibly our best defender. Playing once a week should help. IN
Gross is our best player, but he's going, so no point. NA
I rate Moder. Deffo in for me, but he may want to leave if he has a good enough euros. (which I see as likely). IN
Tariq - aaarghhh - can't decide, but I like his attitude. IN but SELL!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yep.....if we're getting a maybe bit less naive manager who is a bit better at game management, bringing Veltman on to bolster the defence and perhaps protect a lead would make sense. He's easily the best RB we currently have (unless Hinsh is being permanently repurposed), but we need a younger model with him as back up.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Definitely worth having around next season but he'll be 33.5 when his contract expires and with his fitness as it is, I just don't think it would be worth keeping him beyond that. Bearing in mind we'll still have Welbeck who'll be 34 then and Dunk will nearly be 34 plus hopefully Gross who'll also be turning 34 that summer, I just can't see the need to keep him for the experience alone. We can only afford to carry so many of those older pro's.
True, but Milner would be out before Veltman IMO (not that it means both can't go of course). A lot depends on who we manage to sign too

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Gross, unless he wants to go back home in which case he goes with our blessing.

I wouldn’t offer Veltman or Lamptey contracts, neither fit enough.

I was encouraged by some of Moder’s performances, would like to see him play a bit more before deciding for sure but would ideally offer him an extension.
You wouldn’t to offer Veltman a new deal? Easily one of the best RB’s in the league. He had Isak and Gordon on toast at Newcastle.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Did feck all with Potter as well.

Premier League stats with Moder in the starting elelven

Total starts: 33
Goals: 0
Assists: 1

Wins: 6
Draw 12
Losses: 15

Goals for: 24
Goals against: 44

Pure misery. Not all his fault but imho he's done feck all and if he looked like Steve Cooper, everyone would have agreed.
I had just checked out his win percentage stats. Should’ve read page 2 first!

18% win rate when Moder starts. Obviously lots of other variables at play but that is a slightly worrying statistic, particularly for a player who doesn’t have any real tangible contributions at either end of the pitch.

I’ve said on here before I think his best bet is to try and reinvent/develop himself as a defensive midfielder. He has the physical attributes required for it, the rest of his skill set you’d probably just describe as being ‘steady’. I’d have him trying to master his press resistance, positioning and short passing.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Slightly hard to answer as depends how much they're on a week guarenteed and as bonuses. But potentially all four. You might just lower a couple of them's guarenteed money and incentivize game time more in the new deal.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I had just checked out his win percentage stats. Should’ve read page 2 first!

18% win rate when Moder starts. Obviously lots of other variables at play but that is a slightly worrying statistic, particularly for a player who doesn’t have any real tangible contributions at either end of the pitch.

I’ve said on here before I think his best bet is to try and reinvent/develop himself as a defensive midfielder. He has the physical attributes required for it, the rest of his skill set you’d probably just describe as being ‘steady’. I’d have him trying to master his press resistance, positioning and short passing.
Stats without context again though.....haven't checked but I bet the majority of those games were with Duffy, Dunk and Webster at the back and obviously no Ali Mac or Caicedo in midfield (probably Gross and Lallana several times) and when Potter was struggling somewhat ?

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Stats without context again though.....haven't checked but I bet the majority of those games were with Duffy, Dunk and Webster at the back and obviously no Ali Mac or Caicedo in midfield (probably Gross and Lallana several times) and when Potter was struggling somewhat ?
Quite possibly but it’s still a slightly worrying statistic.

He missed the spell from end of season 21/22 to start of season 23/24 which obviously was our best run of form in the PL. But realistically, he wouldn’t have started in many of those sides even if he was fit. Does that say more about his level of ability or the players ahead of him? Probably a bit of both.

What I think is fair to say is that he’s probably not going to be a player who drags you over the line or raises the floor for his team mates.

As it stands, he’s capable of being a steady cog in a very well-run machine, but not a player you see on the team sheet and think, ‘he’ll run the show today’, or ‘he’ll dictate the tempo today’, or ‘he’ll get us an assist/goal today’ or, ‘he’ll keep player X quiet today’.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Quite possibly but it’s still a slightly worrying statistic.

He missed the spell from end of season 21/22 to start of season 23/24 which obviously was our best run of form in the PL. But realistically, he wouldn’t have started in many of those sides even if he was fit. Does that say more about his level of ability or the players ahead of him? Probably a bit of both.

What I think is fair to say is that he’s probably not going to be a player who drags you over the line or raises the floor for his team mates.

As it stands, he’s capable of being a steady cog in a very well-run machine, but not a player you see on the team sheet and think, ‘he’ll run the show today’, or ‘he’ll dictate the tempo today’, or ‘he’ll get us an assist/goal today’ or, ‘he’ll keep player X quiet today’.
Wasn't even the start - he didn't play until end Nov 23. Thought he looked pretty good towards the end of this season, improving with every game and surprisingly quick - worth seeing how he develops with a decent run of games imo.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Wasn't even the start - he didn't play until end Nov 23. Thought he looked pretty good towards the end of this season, improving with every game and surprisingly quick - worth seeing how he develops with a decent run of games imo.
I’d stick with him too for now, but either he needs to decide what his main position is going to be or a new manager needs to direct him and stick with it.

All the time he’s filling in gaps we’ll never really know.

This probably comes back to my point of him being steady at most things but not really excelling at one. Makes it easy for a manager to say we’ll use you as a utility option if we’re stuck for ideas.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’d stick with him too for now, but either he needs to decide what his main position is going to be or a new manager needs to direct him and stick with it.

All the time he’s filling in gaps we’ll never really know.

This probably comes back to my point of him being steady at most things but not really excelling at one. Makes it easy for a manager to say we’ll use you as a utility option if we’re stuck for ideas.
Possibly - in which case a useful squad utility player if he's happy being that............we'll see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here