Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we have a new national anthem?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
What about us, athletes or footballers who don't claim allegiance to the royal family?
I feel no connection to our national anthem. Scots have Flower of Scotland which always sends a shiver down my spine at the rugby, should we have something that speaks to/ for all of us maybe Jerusalem?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
No

Keep it as it is , and enjoy the thought of all the anti English Jocks / Welsh etc hating watching their countrymen singing it during these olympics

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No, perfectly happy with GSTQ. Of course Land of our Fathers, Flower of Scotland etc., are very good and I agree does send a 'shiver down the spine'. If we did end up going that way I guess Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory wouldbe the favourites.

Of course the best 'anthem' of them all is Good old Sussex by the Sea.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
No

Keep it as it is , and enjoy the thought of all the anti English Jocks / Welsh etc hating watching their countrymen singing it during these olympics

Granted that is the only bonus.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What about us, athletes or footballers who don't claim allegiance to the royal family?

... maybe Jerusalem?

so what about all us who dont claim allegiance to christianity?

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I feel no connection to our national anthem. Scots have Flower of Scotland which always sends a shiver down my spine at the rugby, should we have something that speaks to/ for all of us maybe Jerusalem?

You're obsessed with the Royals. Barely a day passes where you don't have a dig.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Nope. Keep it as it is. People are so pathetically fickle that even if we did change it some would want something else. Besides, we're a monarchy. GSTQ is pretty apt to me.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill

I am sure when you win your gold medal they will let you choose any song you like, Rick Astley or The Floral Dance maybe!

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
so what about all us who dont claim allegiance to christianity?

Again that is an example im atheist so i would agree, but i think like Flower of Scotland maybe we should choose a folk song that fits our identity.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

Absolutely not!

Republicans should be deported if they don't like things as they are. Better still hanged for treason.

I do think however, that there is a good case for a separate English National Anthem, with God Save the Queen solely used for royal/British events. For this use, Jerusalem is certainly worthy of consideration.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Republicans should be deported if they don't like things as they are. Better still hanged for treason.
At least a quarter of the population are Republican. I'm guessing you haven't thought this one through.

f*** the royals, the most spoilt family in the world.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I do think however, that there is a good case for a separate English National Anthem, with God Save the Queen solely used for royal/British events. For this use, Jerusalem is certainly worthy of consideration.

Hear hear. GSTQ is a British anthem for our British monarch which includes Wales, Scotland and NI. When England play in a sporting event, then we should have our own anthem. Jerusalem works very well at the Test matches for example.

While Jerusalem is on the face of it clearly a religious song, William Blake's poem is more a critique of the industrial revolution and the lost or sort beauty of England. Blake was revolutionary figure, and the work is universal and in a lot of ways secular in how it can be interrupted. For me, for English teams at sporting events, this should be the anthem.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Assuming the OP meant England, I think the question should be 'Should we have a national anthem?' and I think the answer's yes. GSTQ is the UK anthem, let's have our own. I'd go Jerusalem, but I suspect that may well upset religious sensitivities....

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
At least a quarter of the population are Republican. I'm guessing you haven't thought this one through.

f*** the royals, the most spoilt family in the world.

They may be spoiled, but they are the envy of most countries. Far better that than ending up with some flakey President that changes every few years - if you are not in Russia.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here