Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Greg Dyke resign?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
mmmm I don't totally agree with Greg Dyke but he is the first FA figure who hasn't totally crawled on his knees in front of the EPL.
The performances of the England national team are important not for nationalistic reasons but to help promote the game in this country. Graham Kelly, who was indifferent to BHA's fate in 1990s, helped create the EPL simply to weaken the FL. Perhaps we should welcome the fact that Dyke is showing some interest in the national game rather than boosting the monetary value of the bloated Prem League.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
First and foremost, football is a spectator sport, despite the best efforts of Sky, the police and various other organizations to prove otherwise. Dyke and his cronies, no doubt none of whom ever pay to watch matches, need to ask themselves just how many people would pay to watch his new league. Judging by the attendances at Brighton's Development Squad matches, not many! ( and that's with free admission for season ticket holders). The idea must never be allowed to get off the ground.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
First and foremost, football is a spectator sport, despite the best efforts of Sky, the police and various other organizations to prove otherwise. Dyke and his cronies, no doubt none of whom ever pay to watch matches, need to ask themselves just how many people would pay to watch his new league. Judging by the attendances at Brighton's Development Squad matches, not many! ( and that's with free admission for season ticket holders). The idea must never be allowed to get off the ground.

Sums it up perfectly for me.

He was the wrong appointment in the first place for me, and every time I've seen him talk or seen him on TV, I've become less and less impressed.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Why should he resign for making a suggestion that can either be accepted or rejected by the clubs as they wish

Because he has produced a 600+ page document with recommendations after absolutely no consultation with any of the clubs, just a bunch of so called competent persons. You would have thought that he would have solicited a response, ion the form of a questionnaire, from all 92 FL Clubs and the Conference. Incredulous it most certainly is. He deserves to go and to go very soon, without a 7 figure pay-off!

TNBA

TTF

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I am pretty sure the best way of approaching things is to come up with a detailed plan, give it to the clubs and then listen to their feedback and then implement/adapt/reject it. This is the consultation with the clubs. Sending out a simple questionnaire would not achieve a huge amount.

No. Consult first, then issue (adapted) plan. Dyke is a ****ing disgrace.

Sign the petition. Save football.

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
The answer is staring them in the face. Give the young players experience by playing them in your own team! Works for Everton, Liverpool, Southampton etc. These clubs have hoovered up all the promising kids and now don't know what to do with them. Loan them out to lower league clubs and pay their wages. Leave the league system alone.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
One of the things that I find the most laughable about this is the inclusion of Rio Ferdinand in the whole process.

What does that cocky idiot know about lower league football? A few games for (I think) Bournemouth in the 1990s? A man so concerned about the future of English football that he pissed about missing drugs tests when he was one of the nation's most important players, and buggered off to the Middle East for a fat pay day when he was supposedly too "unfit" to play for England?

A typical arrogant, overpaid Premier League tosser, with no grasp of reality, and whose opinion on the matter is, in all probability, formed by however much he's being paid to express it. A massive mistake by the commission to include him, a player whose popularity has plummeted in recent years. They might just as well have got Suarez and Terry to endorse it too.

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
Accrington Stanley are proposing launching a B team & applying for them to join the Premier League. When Accrington are taking the piss out of you, it's a good sign you've got it wrong !

Also...before his later connection to Brentford, Dyke (from Hayes ) was a supporter & non-executive director of Man Utd, which certainly makes him a prize ****.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
The answer is staring them in the face. Give the young players experience by playing them in your own team! Works for Everton, Liverpool, Southampton etc. These clubs have hoovered up all the promising kids and now don't know what to do with them. Loan them out to lower league clubs and pay their wages. Leave the league system alone.

They should be forced to do exactly this. PL squad sizes should be allowed to be bigger but with the requirement they loan out the excess player at little or no cost to the receiving teams. The nature of the loans ( ST/season long) should remain as is.

PL clubs get the talent trained from them ( and still get to 'cock block' their rivals by buying in excess numbers of players just to stop someone else getting them) so they win.

FL clubs get a fairer share of the talent available and a share of the big money available by not having to pay the salaries.

FA get a greater chance of English players being taken up through the leagues to the top level (although EU Directive on free movement does not guarantee this)

Fans get better football at every level of the game.

Possibly a step too far but I'd also make Sky/BBC/ITV etc contractually obliged to mention the last club which took a player featuring in a televised game or highlight show so that the armchair plastics realise that there's some football being played outside the ivory tower of the PL!

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
One of the things that I find the most laughable about this is the inclusion of Rio Ferdinand in the whole process.

What does that cocky idiot know about lower league football? A few games for (I think) Bournemouth in the 1990s? A man so concerned about the future of English football that he pissed about missing drugs tests when he was one of the nation's most important players, and buggered off to the Middle East for a fat pay day when he was supposedly too "unfit" to play for England?

A typical arrogant, overpaid Premier League tosser, with no grasp of reality, and whose opinion on the matter is, in all probability, formed by however much he's being paid to express it. A massive mistake by the commission to include him, a player whose popularity has plummeted in recent years. They might just as well have got Suarez and Terry to endorse it too.

Not a fan then ?:lolol:

Last edited:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Danny Mills went on the radio today and said "Hartlepool fans would much rather play Manchester United B team than Torquay

Can somebody explain to me what's in it for Man Utd B Team to play Hartlepool? This would presumably consist of a team of talented youngsters being coached to play (broadly) tic-tak type football, and then telling them to go out and play a team of limited hoofers. I don't mean to be too offensive to Hartlepool, but they are not the sort of team Man Utd's U21s should be pitched against.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Accrington Stanley are proposing launching a B team & applying for them to join the Premier League. When Accrington are taking the piss out of you, it's a good sign you've got it wrong !

Also...before his later connection to Brentford, Dyke (from Hayes ) was a supporter & non-executive director of Man Utd, which certainly makes him a prize ****.

At least he isn't proposing no relegation from the Premier League, unlike some club's chairman.

Although now that Dougie has you knocking around at the arse end of the championship I expect Gartside has changed his mind maybe?

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
At least he isn't proposing no relegation from the Premier League, unlike some club's chairman.

Although now that Dougie has you knocking around at the arse end of the championship I expect Gartside has changed his mind maybe?

Mr Gartside did not propose "no relegation from the Premier League".....it was an idea the PL asked Mr Gartside to chair a report on, not his idea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here