Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Shoreham Pilot - Flying Licence Appeal Rejected 17/10/2024

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I’m thinking as an example an F1 driver through a risky overtake ended up in the stands killing 11 spectators, i can’t see any of them wanting to drive again 🤷

Ahem ....... Le Mans, 1955.

85 dead and they didn't even stop the race.
Wolfgang Von Trips, Monza 1961. Him & 15 spectators died, race carried on. Very rare to stop a race in F!.

It would have been a travesty if Hill had got his licences back. Good decision made.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I’m thinking as an example an F1 driver through a risky overtake ended up in the stands killing 11 spectators, i can’t see any of them wanting to drive again 🤷

When you say 'drive' do you mean 'race'? I wouldn't expect them to never drive again. To be honest, I wouldn't mind if they wanted to race again. Racing is completely different to an aerobatics display. It's completely acceptable for racing drivers to try risky overtakes - motor racing is risky. Crashing is commonplace and the idea is that the crowds are at a safe distance. Whereas with an aerobatic display the limits shouldn't be pushed, and certainly not over a public area. The pilot was wrong to perform that stunt in that location at that altitude.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Reading The Argus and the term UK props up on occasions, so could he apply for a licence in France, Republic of Ireland even somewhere like the Isle of Man, you get my drift.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
They do now - Senna, for example.

100% !
But then restarted after. That weekend saw 2 deaths, 8 spectators injured & 1 policeman from debris from Lehto's (sp) crash at the start of the race and another 4 mechanics after the restart. Anyway I'm going to cheer my self up with some football & hope that Hill can't fly anything, anywhere, ever again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here