Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shadow Minister visits Withdean & Falmer site

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
From the official site

MP's visit

I find this reassuring that they should take the time and effort to find out what is going on.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Feel that this should help the cause. Noticable that the Tory candidate for Portslade was with her and also voiced support. means now Ivor is a even mre racing cert to lose his seat at least if it gets turned down!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
This...if I am correct...is AMAZING news. Now we know the Governement have an idea about the crapness of Withdean & Sheepcote and no doubt Perry threw all the Pro-Falmer bits in at every expense so this lady could get a good view of it all..........and even if its not down to her you can bet she's gonna go tell her mate JP about it all surely!?!

I would'nt be surprised if she got sent down here by JP or the Government specifically to check it all out first hand and report back directly to JP or his secretary about it all. I mean if JP came to visit then the Anti-Falmer brigade would throw in the "not fair" towel and demand a new inquiry (actually forget what happens sorry) so instead he sent her down to check it all out.

Bloody good news if you ask me :clap:

I'm not sure.

It looks like she came at the invitation of local Tories. The two councillors who accompanied her on the visit are both keen to see the Albion out of Withdean as soon as possible - they represent the Withdean area. The official website describes her other host as "Nicholas Boles, prospective Conservative candidate for Portslade" - which is a very curious description. He is prospective Conservative candidate for Hove and Portslade, which is the new name for Ivor Caplin's constituency.

If I was feeling really depressed, I might muse that the Tories are preparing themselves for an announcement of a NO decision by Prescott. Their parliamentary spokesperson would then be able to attack the decision from a position of strength ... "I have recently visited Brighton and Hove and seen the existing hopelessly inadequate facilities at Withdean, as well as the proposed site at Falmer, which is next to an ugly university building and a noisy dual carriageway, and I can say for certain that the Deputy Prime Minister, who has never visited either site, has got this decision completely wrong. Labour voters in Brighton, Hove and Portslade will feel let down by this appalling decision, and will, I am sure, be flocking to support Conservative candidates in future council and parliamentary elections".

On the other hand, just like the rest of us, she won't have a clue what the decision will be and may simply have gone away impressed by the strength of the Club's case.

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
Shadow means opposition to JP I'm afraid - still good political gain but she won't be working undercover for JP and his department

Seagullmatt

Feb 8, 2004
Goring by Sea
Lord Bracknell said:
I'm not sure.

It looks like she came at the invitation of local Tories. The two councillors who accompanied her on the visit are both keen to see the Albion out of Withdean as soon as possible - they represent the Withdean area. The official website describes her other host as "Nicholas Boles, prospective Conservative candidate for Portslade" - which is a very curious description. He is prospective Conservative candidate for Hove and Portslade, which is the new name for Ivor Caplin's constituency.

If I was feeling really depressed, I might muse that the Tories are preparing themselves for an announcement of a NO decision by Prescott. Their parliamentary spokesperson would then be able to attack the decision from a position of strength ... "I have recently visited Brighton and Hove and seen the existing hopelessly inadequate facilities at Withdean, as well as the proposed site at Falmer, which is next to an ugly university building and a noisy dual carriageway, and I can say for certain that the Deputy Prime Minister, who has never visited either site, has got this decision completely wrong. Labour voters in Brighton, Hove and Portslade will feel let down by this appalling decision, and will, I am sure, be flocking to support Conservative candidates in future council and parliamentary elections".

On the other hand, just like the rest of us, she won't have a clue what the decision will be and may simply have gone away impressed by the strength of the Club's case.

Let's hope it's the second one Lord B.

CrabtreeBHA said:
This...if I am correct...is AMAZING news. Now we know the Governement have an idea about the crapness of Withdean & Sheepcote and no doubt Perry threw all the Pro-Falmer bits in at every expense so this lady could get a good view of it all..........and even if its not down to her you can bet she's gonna go tell her mate JP about it all surely!?!

I would'nt be surprised if she got sent down here by JP or the Government specifically to check it all out first hand and report back directly to JP or his secretary about it all. I mean if JP came to visit then the Anti-Falmer brigade would throw in the "not fair" towel and demand a new inquiry (actually forget what happens sorry) so instead he sent her down to check it all out.

Bloody good news if you ask me :clap:
Julie Kirkbride is a Tory. She won't be working for Prescott. She'll want to see him fall flat on his face.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Robert Lester Zamora said:
Shadow means opposition to JP I'm afraid - still good political gain but she won't be working undercover for JP and his department

aaahhh bugger I knew it was too good to be true! I read it without the Shadow bit :angry:

Oh well now I'm not as happy as I was 5mins ago, still lets hope if its a No then if the Torys get power down here they might be able to reverse the decision!.....Hope remember.....Hope!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think that while it is great that anyone and everyone can support the stadium bid, I do think it is a bit of political bandwagon jumping by the Tories.

They have deliberately gone the tokenistic route down here. Nicholas Boles is gay, which is probably the main reason the Tories chose him. A piece of iconic positive discrimination ('look, we don't discriminate, we even have a poof standing for us somewhere...') in order to gain a few more votes to try and tuf out Ivor Caplin.

Ditto, Falmer. They know the strength of feeling in this city about it, and to be seen to oppose it is a definite vote loser. Which is also why the Lib Dems don't have a prayer in Brighton Pavilion, Brighton Kemp Town, nor Hove & Portslade.

Sadly, Crabtree, the decision can't be taken "down here". It will be taken in London by Prescott. And once a planning decision is announced by the Secretary of State, it can't be reversed by his successor, even after a general election.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
Sadly, Crabtree, the decision can't be taken "down here". It will be taken in London by Prescott. And once a planning decision is announced by the Secretary of State, it can't be reversed by his successor, even after a general election.

Really? blimey thats another reason to hate governments!

Oh well my hopes and dreams yet again dashed within moments, just need JP to get the damn decision out, all this waiting is really :censored: hard and annoying!

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Hate the Tories myself. But getting them onside won't do any harm

Pops

Mar 6, 2004
withdean porter cabin
hope it makes some news , lets see if she puts a quote out in the news paper etc . she has come down to help her local party to win seats no doubt about that , but it cant hurt our push for falmer .

one of two things is going on with JP the way i see it . he has made up his mind and is waiting for the best time to let the news out , meaning its a no and he may wait till after the local elections to bring this out , this will hurt his local party the least as whats done is done in the local elections and then they have time to hold their seats . this would also work the other way holding out to just before the elections to say yes and help his party to get a land slide in the elections .

the second is thats its very close one way or the other and they are taking their time coz they just dont know which way to go , this being the case anything we do to help push him towards falmer . anything we can do to get press cant hurt .

i cant see how if it was a firm yes it would have taken so long to bring out . keep up the good work towards falmer its all we can do right now , myself i`m pretty sure JP and the party dont know which way to go , so we just have to keep pushing . way i see it , if its gonna be a yes it will come before the local elections in june i think it is . if its gonna be a no it may not be till after the elections , saying no before is sure to lose labor some seats and they know it .

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here