Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sending Off

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If exactly the same happened to us (i.e webster was cancelo) we'd not be happy. Welbeck was cute, got his arm and shoulder across him......there was a tangle rather than obvious foul, maguire and Manure has gotten away with far worse.....but then again we all know the bias there.

like any typical footie fan, would be pissed if it was us, but as its them i'm fine with it!

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
If exactly the same happened to us (i.e webster was cancelo) we'd not be happy. Welbeck was cute, got his arm and shoulder across him......there was a tangle rather than obvious foul, maguire and Manure has gotten away with far worse.....but then again we all know the bias there.

like any typical footie fan, would be pissed if it was us, but as its them i'm fine with it!

Welbeck 'was cute' by getting in front of his man and using his body to stay there. New description of age old centre forward play for me on that one. :)

The tangle was because Cancelo found himself wrong side by misjudging the ball. Replays I don't think show what we saw in the ground, a fantastic ball played over, Welbeck reading it perfectly, Cancelo (who'd been roasted by Welbeck prior to that) panicking and missing the flight, he had lost his balance and momentum (which replays don't show) whereas Welbeck was in full flow. If Cancelo hadn't fouled him at that point, I think Welbeck would have been a meter or so clear of him given Cancelo had checked and Welbeck hadn't.

If a centre forward does what Cancelo did to a defender (i.e. the other way round) it is a foul every single time.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Thought it was harsh at time but even more so having seen replays. Just 2 players battling for the ball in a contact sport.

Officials are trained to use the following considerations when deciding whether an offense constitutes Denying an Obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity:

• Distance between the offense and the goal – Normally (but not exclusively), the nearer the goal when the offense occurs, the more likely an Obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity was denied.
• General direction of the play – ‘General direction towards the Opponents Goal’ is the main consideration here for officials
• Likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball – The more likelihood of controlling a ball (was played in front of them, within playing distance, easily controlled), the more likely an Obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity was denied.
• Location and number of defenders – If there is no more than one defender (a goalkeeper is classed as a defender) present when the offense occurs (provided they are not able to possess or control the ball before the attacker would have), normally this indicates a Goal Scoring Opportunity was denied. If there is more than one defender present in front of the attacker when the offense occurs, they must generally not be able to retreat or become part of the goal-scoring phase, in order for this consideration to be met.

All of these were met so a red card.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I agree with what others say about Dublin. If it is a foul then it has to be a red. People talking about whether he has control is irrelevant. It is whether he would have got control of the ball and had a goal scoring chance. I can’t recall whether the wolves striker had even touched it yet before dunk hauled him down. If not then that is a perfect example where he would have had a shot so obvious red. If he did then imagine he didn’t and it was just a straight pass and it was a race wirh one winner, he doesn’t have it under control but soon will.

Possibly harsh giving a foul but you can put your arm across someone but you can’t then grab that arm. So all in all it was harsh but the right call.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Just 2 players battling for the ball in a contact sport.

But its not a 'contact sport' anymore is it? Look at Lamptey penalty he gave away where he literally placed his hand on the shoulder of the player infront who went down like he'd been pole axed. That was awarded as a penalty.

Yes there is 'some' contact but not the crunching tackles of 20+ years ago.

So in the modern game, was it a foul on Welbz or not? Harsh, not harsh is besides the point. Was it a foul? Yes = Red per the rules.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I hate players being sent off, whether for us or opposition. It just takes something from the game. When it happened I was looking for reasons why he shouldn't go but struggled under the letter of the law. All a bit unfortunate.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I wouldn't of complained if it was the other way around. Not sure why City fans are. :shrug:

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Red for me too. If he does it in the box it’s a clear penalty. Softish, but given 9 times out of 10 and never overturned.

And if it’s a foul it’s a red. No other defender near them. Also pretty clear.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Cancelo royally screwed up (as analysed by TV pundits), so he fouled Welbeck in order that he couldn't get an attempt in on goal.

His furtive attempt to make it look like an innocent coming together of bodies, was seen for what it was.

A foul anywhere on the field of play and he prevented a goal scoring attempt.

A straight forward dismissal decision.

Importantly that is what the ref saw and also the VAR people/person. Must be a red as he pushed DW past the ball and denied him the opportunity to control the ball.

H2O under the bridge...we won..YES!!!!

TNBA

TTF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here