Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Season Ticket Renewals

Are you going to renew your season ticket?

• Results between now and issue of renewal notices make no difference

Votes: 64 62.7%
  • Being adrift in the bottom three will affect your decision

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Gonna wait to the end of the season anyway

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Not going to renew..plenty of seats availiable

Votes: 26 25.5%

• Total voters

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Great Cornholio said:
A fine 2nd post sir. People have very short memories. Try supporting Rochdale or Macclesfield - then you will no what hardship of watching your team is. No-one is more frustrated at watching the standard of football this year than me. No-one is more frustrated about the lack of signings than me. But I was there when we were getting trounced at home by Oxford and Rochdale. I didn't quit then so why the hell should I quit now?

Season ticket numbers will fluctuate - do well, they go up. Do badly, they go down. Twas ever thus. A lot of people only buy one if the team are on a high - fair enough, the crowd size wouldn't change if we didn't have these supporters and there would be no need for Falmer. We have to find 14000 extra fans from somewhere. But why all the melodrama about some people choosing not to renew because we may go down? It is the case at the vast majority of clubs. The primary goal is to keep the club solvent until we have a new ground and can compete with the big boys. I still don't believe that people buy the "Falmer isn't the most important goal" argument. A simple poll would answer it. Would you rather be in League 2 and have Falmer or be in the Championship at remain at Withdean forever? The former allows the club to be restructured and rise up - a la Hull. The latter leads to eventual relegation and being doomed to scratch around the lower echelons - provided we stay in business. The two options are mutually exclusive - we all hope to stay up and get Falmer. But the histrionics about the possibility of being relegated are ludicrous.

Falmer is obviously the most important issue at our club, but... relegation is far more serious than many seem to think... there seems to be an assumption that if we go down we will bounce back up just like last time... this is definitely not necessarily the case... and how much easier will it be to sell Falmer as an investment if we are in the CCC?... there are no histrionics about being relegated, just realism... there is every chance we will lose our best players, have lower attendances, we will definitely lose TV money, etc...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You state what you purport to be fact based on an anonymous poll of 18 people. Would you care to rebuke my arguments with fact rather than bluster, speculation and name calling? Relegation was catastrophic last time round wasn't it? No championship for us - had to make do with going up via the play offs. (/awaits the "It was a poor league - different this time blah, blah")

Actions speak louder than words? Please provide proof that Dick Knight hasn't made money available and that the players named by McGhee didn't turn us down as you seem so certain.

Long stand fans, loyal for many years will not be renewing because of the lack of players? They have been loyal for this many years and choose the current situation as the trigger not to renew - not 1995/96? 1996/97? 1997/98? Being third bottom in the Championship is worse than being bottom of League 1 or League 2? Some loyal fans they must be.

If we go down, there will be less season ticket holders? No shit, Sherlock. There will also be a reduction in the wage bill, allowing the club to stop punching above it's weight. And, if the team is chasing at playoff place at worse, crowds will be on a par with current levels. The first season at Withdean proves that. People will watch their team doing well - they aren't so keen to watch them struggle.

And I'm sure the club are worried about the current predicament. Are you seriously suggesting that after 10 years of hard work, Knight and the board are happy to see us slide down a division? I fully expect the old "Open the purse strings" argument to be used again. The club is in debt with little or no collateral. Where is this money to come from - a magic tree? Or are you advocating borrowing money - putting the club in further debt - based on a financial projection of yours and Bens Grandad (based on supposition) rather than based on a detailed finanical analysis produced by the board? Now I await the "Director's digging into their pockets" retort - depsite the fact that the vast majority of money given to clubs by directors are loans - not gifts. And why should these men invest large sums of money with no guarantee of getting it back? They have a lot in at the moment and will get nothing if the club goes to the wall - a real possibility if Falmer is ultimately rejected.

What a load of pointless waffle. What is the saying Bullshit baffles brains.

The financial implications of us being relegated are more serious than the likelehood of us failing to stay up.

Nobody is asking DK to jeopardise our future as that would be foolish but to spend a little of £100k they had earmarked for a transfer to enable MM to bring in 2 loan signings, which he says is what we are away from being a decent team. To my mind that is approx £50k per player for 3 months = more than the £4k per week Dennis Wise was earning at Southampton, he is probably on less now.

B.W. said:
I am telling you that this poll suggests people are unhappy enough to be thinking about not renewing their ST's, and the people I go to the footie with are getting pi$$ed off with the lack of investment in the team... any your evidence is?... oh, you have none...

You must be looking a different poll - this one says that people will not renew if we go down - it says nothing about happiness - good or otherwise. A number of these will probably be people who only bought their season ticket after promotion anyway. The would probably also not renew if we'd spent £1 million on players now and still went down. People like that want to watch big teams. Hence the increase in average attendances at ALL clubs when they go up a division.

B.W. said:
You are insulting long-standing loyal fans (including me) who rightfully believe the club has failed to make a decent attempt to strengthen the squad to keep us in the division we are in... if the board are complacent, they willl lose their most important fans... in fact, this thread may help them realise that there is a growing ground swell of opinion that is threatening ST renewals...

I'm intrigued how you come to that conclusion when it was YOU who said that these long term, hard core fans would not renew because of the lack of investment. And the most important fans to the club are the long term, die hards who will renew WHATEVER the on the pitch situation.

B.W. said:
You then (sarcastically) go on to admit that ST sales will fall if we get relegated (contradicting all of your earlier comments)... you suggest the wage bill will fall (only out of necessity, since we will probably lose our best players)... then you make the assumption that we will do well in league 1 (see my point about last season's relegated clubs)... your logic is severely flawed.

Yet another bluster response with no substance. Why is the logic flawed? Why does it contradict my earlier comments? There are very few - if any clubs whose Season Ticket Sales do not drop when relegated or playing poorly. Why should we be any different? And you can guarantee there is a clause in the players contracts to reduce their wages after relegation.

Going down is not going to be good for the club but it is highly unlikely to mean it's demise either. I just don't think that a poll with 15 people saying they are not going to renew if cause for that much concern to the board. They need every peeny they can get but they ar enot going to lose these people forever - most will come to high profile games anyway.

BensGrandad said:
What a load of pointless waffle. What is the saying Bullshit baffles brains.

The financial implications of us being relegated are more serious than the likelehood of us failing to stay up.

Nobody is asking DK to jeopardise our future as that would be foolish but to spend a little of £100k they had earmarked for a transfer to enable MM to bring in 2 loan signings, which he says is what we are away from being a decent team. To my mind that is approx £50k per player for 3 months = more than the £4k per week Dennis Wise was earning at Southampton, he is probably on less now.

Yet more name calling and suppositions with NO FACTS OR SUBSTANCE. Let's deal with facts (As stated by McGhee)

HE IS ACTIVELY LOOKING TO SIGN PLAYERS - HIS ONLY OPTION BEING LOAN PLAYERS NOW

HE HAS BEEN ON THE PHONE FOR 4 HOURS A DAY FOR THE LAST FEW WEEKS TRYING TO SIGN PLAYERS

Which infers that he has money to spend and is looking for players. Which blow your whimperings out of the water. Yet again, like Rasiak, you pick a name out of the air as if Dick Knight refused to sanction Dennis Wise on loan. Besides the fact that McGhee needs a striker and full back more than a defensive midfielder, what are you basing this on?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yet more name calling and suppositions with NO FACTS OR SUBSTANCE. Let's deal with facts (As stated by McGhee)

HE IS ACTIVELY LOOKING TO SIGN PLAYERS - HIS ONLY OPTION BEING LOAN PLAYERS NOW

HE HAS BEEN ON THE PHONE FOR 4 HOURS A DAY FOR THE LAST FEW WEEKS TRYING TO SIGN PLAYERS

Which infers that he has money to spend and is looking for players. Which blow your whimperings out of the water. Yet again, like Rasiak, you pick a name out of the air as if Dick Knight refused to sanction Dennis Wise on loan. Besides the fact that McGhee needs a striker and full back more than a defensive midfielder, what are you basing this on?

No body is disputing that MM is trying to find loan signings they being the only option left to him or players out of contract.

It is to be expected that there is money available for signings but is it sufficient. In a hyperthetical case DK could have said yes you can sign a striker we have £500 per week available to pay the wages. That is money available but insufficient for our needs.

Some weeks ago MM said he wanted a left back, midfielder and striker and if funds permitted a centre back so he was interested in a midfielder. Dennis Wise was a player that fitted the bill it appeared but we didnt go after him perhaps MM didn't want him, nobody suggested that DK refused to sanction a move for him.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I will renew wherever we finish this season.

1. I will support Brighton no matter what, and can't ever imagine not going to a home game on purpose
2. Can't be arsed to bother with sorting out tickets week after week for every home game
3. Buying a season ticket is cheaper than buying 23 individual tickets (I think, could be wrong though)
4. Guaranteed ticket for the "bigger" home games - ie Palace if we stay up and they stay down
5. Guaranteed ticket should we draw Premiership opposition at home in the cup
6. Couldn't be sure if I could afford to buy a ticket on a last Saturday of the month before payday

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think that the Withdean factor will be the main reason why people don't renew.

If we stay up this year another season of struggle probably awaits. If we go down we'll probably be one of the promotion contenders next season so the quality of football should be better, without too much of a personnel change.

Not only is the Withdean depressing, the fans are getting criticised by the players for not generating an atmosphere. They don't have to put up with the conditions - who'd be a fan?

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
You must be looking a different poll - this one says that people will not renew if we go down - it says nothing about happiness - good or otherwise. A number of these will probably be people who only bought their season ticket after promotion anyway. The would probably also not renew if we'd spent £1 million on players now and still went down. People like that want to watch big teams. Hence the increase in average attendances at ALL clubs when they go up a division.

I ve had season ticket since withdean began and my boys had one since the 2nd season, I went to Gillingham and the goldstone, Im not renewing cause its too expensive for me in my current predicament

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
What utter tosh. There are hundreds of loyal fans on here but there are also hundreds of once in a whiler's as well

Exactly. You could claim to be the biggest fan ever and never go. Hence a lot of the Magoo-out brigade. You could even be Pala*se.

The answer to the question is I've had a season ticket for 18 years (with spell of not renewing at Gillingham) and will support the Albion through think and thin.

I dont need to support a second team like Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea or West Ham. Because that in my eyes doesn't make you a true support.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
I ve had season ticket since withdean began and my boys had one since the 2nd season, I went to Gillingham and the goldstone, Im not renewing cause its too expensive for me in my current predicament

That is where I feel sorry for people :down:

Its a crime that football is becoming so expensive. Going to the cinema is not half as much. Its not relative.

Hope one day the FA see some kind of sense and reduce these prices.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Caveman said:
I dont need to support a second team like Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea or West Ham. Because that in my eyes doesn't make you a true support.

Well said. I wonder how many of those 'diehard' fans support another club.

Stinky Kat said:

That is sad and a sad reflection on football in general - the average supporter should not be priced out of seeing their team play.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
Can't justify spending over 500 quid for me and my boy to sit in the pissing rain and watch an ordinary side play anymore.

That'll be a NO then :nono:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
That is sad and a sad reflection on football in general - the average supporter should not be priced out of seeing their team play.

Who is the "average" supporter though? We all pay varying amounts of money into things we enjoy, be it a meal out or going to a game. Nobody makes us, it's our choice. If you can't "afford" (money or time for that matter) something at a present stage in life then you effectively "unsubscribe" to it for a period. Or indefinately. If I can't afford to make it to a game because of other commitments, doesn't mean I don't support BHA anymore, I'll still want to find out the result but someone else will take my place in the stand. Until I can go again. Might not be every game but I'll still be go again sometime, according to my budget and time available.

Football's just a business albeit it with a lot of emotion attached. Nobody's got a right to watch football just as clubs don't have a right to expect our support.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Remember going to the GG with Jam the Man to get our first season tickets, and felt so excited about getting them for the North Stand. Even though the ground is crap (understatement) and we don't always win I wouldn't have it any other way. Ok this season is a bit depressing but if I hadn't of paid for a season ticket I would not of seen games like Chesterfield (winning the title), Wolves (spanking them with great goals), Swindon (god that was worth every penny by itself), Ipswich (last day drama). Yes I will be renewing until it's impossible for me to do so.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The thing I find is people dont mind losing as much if the side is playing good football - which it isnt - not winning and low entertaiment factor - not a good thing.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
555kaz said:
Remember going to the GG with Jam the Man to get our first season tickets, and felt so excited about getting them for the North Stand. Even though the ground is crap (understatement) and we don't always win I wouldn't have it any other way. Ok this season is a bit depressing but if I hadn't of paid for a season ticket I would not of seen games like Chesterfield (winning the title), Wolves (spanking them with great goals), Swindon (god that was worth every penny by itself), Ipswich (last day drama). Yes I will be renewing until it's impossible for me to do so.

EXACTLY!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Renew come what may

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
pasty said:
I will renew wherever we finish this season.

1. I will support Brighton no matter what, and can't ever imagine not going to a home game on purpose
2. Can't be arsed to bother with sorting out tickets week after week for every home game
3. Buying a season ticket is cheaper than buying 23 individual tickets (I think, could be wrong though)
4. Guaranteed ticket for the "bigger" home games - ie Palace if we stay up and they stay down
5. Guaranteed ticket should we draw Premiership opposition at home in the cup
6. Couldn't be sure if I could afford to buy a ticket on a last Saturday of the month before payday

agree with all of those and the fact that supporting the Albion gives me some escape from work and home

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here