Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] RIP Paul Mariner

brulee

Aug 12, 2008
Saw him score against Hungary to take us to world cup in Spain 82. It was a good atmosphere Wembley and spain

PeakGull

Aug 30, 2017
Derbyshire
The first Albion game I went to was against Plymouth at the Goldstone and a young Paul Mariner was in the Plymouth team.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
One of the first players I remember as I became aware of football on the telly. He scored goals and had a mullet and memorable name. That was good enough for me. RIP

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
One of the first players I remember as I became aware of football on the telly. He scored goals and had a mullet and memorable name. That was good enough for me. RIP

With a surname like Mariner, perhaps his first professional club was bound to be from the naval city of Plymouth.

So an apt, as well as a memorable name.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
That’s a shocker in my mind it seems like he was only playing the other day, very sad RIP thoughts and prayers to his family and all who knew him

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Growing up in the early 80's a lot of us aspired to be the Paul Mariner's of this world in the football playgrounds
Later in the decade a similar player was Mark Hateley, Harry Kane is now the modern day version
They were all 6ft 4 odd strikers who could all header a ball and that was what England was about long punt up field to these strikers who had good first touch
When I think of the admiral kit Paul Mariner's name always crops up first in the memory

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I didn't start supporting the Albion until after 1986 as I had no good influences (dad, older brother not much interested in football). Before that I was a full kit wanker Ipswich Town prepubescent fan and Paul Mariner about 1980 was my favourite player. My allegiance followed him to Arsenal briefly. In retrospect it was down to a combination of the influence of Bobby Robson, a glorious mullet and how cool he looked in the England strip in a Pannini sticker album.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here