Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP - Lord Oaksey

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
The term legend is used very broadly these days but this man was exactly that!!

RIP Lord Oaksey.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Who is/was he?

Jockey, writer, broadcaster (from the old ITV Seven days), founder of the injured jockeys fund. A truly respected member of the horse racing fraternity.

Nov 20, 2003
hove
rip lord oaksey a true gent . Did you know that his Father was a judge at the Nuremberg Trials ,and was a juditial heavywieght.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
RIP Lord Oaksey another part of my sporting past gone, ITV Seven, World of Sport etc

Bruno

Jul 2, 2012
I remember him from my childhood - many an afternoon down my Nans house with the horse racing with John Oaksey at the track.

Who waste other fella that was always there as well? Peter O'Sullivan did the commentary I remember but there was also another talker like Oaksey - younger fella.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
From Wikipedia:

John Geoffrey Tristram Lawrence, OBE, 4th Baron Trevethin and 2nd Baron Oaksey (21 March 1929 – 5 September 2012) was a British aristocrat, horse racing journalist, television commentator and former amateur jockey. He was the son of the noted jurist Geoffrey Lawrence, 1st Baron Oaksey. He preferred to be called Oaksey although Trevethin is the longer-established title. In his broadcasting career, he was initially known as John Lawrence before adopting the name John Oaksey when he succeeded to the baronies on the death of his father in 1971.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
RIP John Oaksey.
I had a tip that he wasn't well and fortunetly had him in a double with Neil Armstrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here