[Music] RIP Lee Perry

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So sad

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was lucky enough to see him at the Essential Music Festival at Stanmer Park years' ago.

Same here.

Funnily enough, I was talking about the Essential Music Festival just yesterday. That was a fantastic event, shame it ended.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
If there was one person on this planet that was going to live forever, it would’ve been Rainford Hugh Perry (AKA Pipecock Jackson!)

I know it’s easy to say these things when someone passes away, but put simply - no Lee Perry = no reggae. Well, certainly not as we know it anyway.

Although his singles & albums dominate my collection, I never went to see him in person. Mainly because of what friends had told me about how hit & miss he is nowadays (a friend told me they saw him in a pub in Oxford, just him talking nonsense over a backing tape) but I always knew I’d regret not seeing him because there would come a time when he wouldn’t be around.

One of my favourite £$P stories is at one point he got so fed up with rastas following him around everywhere, he painted “I am a batty-man” all over his own car to get rid of them!!

Another one is that my mate was supporting him at Concorde2 one year. He was really nervous about meeting Lee Perry & didn’t know what to say to him. Just before he went on, it was just the two of them sat backstage, so my mate plucked up the courage to say something to him. As he looked up to start talking, Lee Perry had set alight to his own shoe!!

I will certainly be spinning a tune or two for The Upsetter this evening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here