Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Redundancy / Redeployment advice required

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Are they/ will they, just offer statutory redundancy? If so the trial may not be a bad idea. If they offer x but that becomes y then it's a different ballgame.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
That was fortuitous, an objective, professional HR department.

I’ve been firsthand party on the employers side to the exact opposite. The bosses decide subjective outcomes eg they dislike some members of staff so target them for easing out of the business. Then ask HR internally or consultants, to come up with a process and matrix that gives the conclusion subjectively decided at the beginning.

So experience, I have professional scepticism.

(I wasn't the victim, so this isn’t bitterness).
I don’t doubt it.
As it happened most of my colleagues were only too happy to jump ship so it made their role easier in a way.
The company ended up having to keep some employees it didn’t want.
The whole thing took 18 months. (Blessing and a curse tbf - lots of stress, but i did have time to prepare and save)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don’t doubt it.
As it happened most of my colleagues were only too happy to jump ship so it made their role easier in a way.
The whole thing took 18 months. (Blessing and a curse tbf - lots of stress, but i did have time to prepare and save)

The other thing is I’ve never seen redundancy pay greater than £19k, the statutory cap. Someone could work for 35 years on decent money, that’s all they’ll get.

The big payouts are for people who work for financial institutions, multinationals or other listed businesses, sometimes the public sector. Where they’re swimming in cash and can afford to pay big as part of a CBA. There might be rights through a strong union agreement.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don’t doubt it.
Agree……..these type of restructures always (in my experience anyway and been through absolutely loads) have poorly-hidden predetermined outcomes and HR often only cosmetically oversee ‘due process’. On the plus side, for affected employees this often means that ‘due process’ isn’t followed, meaning the employee can work the situation to their advantage or at least get a better outcome (in the OPs OH case for example one of the jobs seemingly being ‘handed’ to someone without anyone else having the opportunity to go for it).

Bottom line though is it’s usually impossible to fight the organisation and you just need to make sure you get a satisfactory outcome for yourself - the organisation screwing up at various stages of the process often makes this easier.

Well worth keeping a record of all meetings and communications, and having someone attend any key meetings (ie with HR or anyone managing the restructure) with you as there will be process failures, contradictions and people often say stupid things (once in my case, when I was offered three new positions as my own was disappearing, none of which were suitable for various reasons, the MD told me ‘you’ll have to resign in that case’ - that alone was enough for me to negotiate an exit package as it gave me the a constructive dismissal angle).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agree……..these type of restructures always (in my experience anyway and been through absolutely loads) have poorly-hidden predetermined outcomes and HR often only cosmetically oversee ‘due process’. On the plus side, for affected employees this often means that ‘due process’ isn’t followed, meaning the employee can work the situation to their advantage or at least get a better outcome (in the OPs OH case for example one of the jobs seemingly being ‘handed’ to someone without anyone else having the opportunity to go for it).

Bottom line though is it’s usually impossible to fight the organisation and you just need to make sure you get a satisfactory outcome for yourself - the organisation screwing up at various stages of the process often makes this easier.

Well worth keeping a record of all meetings and communications, and having someone attend any key meetings (ie with HR or anyone managing the restructure) with you as there will be process failures, contradictions and people often say stupid things (once in my case, when I was offered three new positions as my own was disappearing, none of which were suitable for various reasons, the MD told me ‘you’ll have to resign in that case’ - that alone was enough for me to negotiate an exit package as it gave me the a constructive dismissal angle).

Wonder if it’s worth recording that type of meeting on a phone?

I saw devious writing up on minutes, with a bias thinking of legal connotations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here