Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PSP advise needed

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've read through the thread, from last Sept, while taking Brightonfan 86 & MYOB's arguement out of the equation, it still leaves more questions than answers.

I'm thinking of getting one, esp as the other half has booked our honeymoon in hotels with NO television. :lolol:

Bearing in mind I'm in no way techie so therefore will just be playing games and/or watching films:-

is it any good?

What's the battery life & if it's short how do I get round it?

Would I need to buy the 'bigger' memory stick?

Do the films look ok?

Which accesories are more needed that others?

And any other advise would be appricated.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
Stst Brother said:
I've read through the thread, from last Sept, while taking Brightonfan 86 & MYOB's arguement out of the equation, it still leaves more questions than answers.

I'm thinking of getting one, esp as the other half has booked our honeymoon in hotels with NO television. :lolol:

Bearing in mind I'm in no way techie so therefore will just be playing games and/or watching films:-

is it any good?

What's the battery life & if it's short how do I get round it?

Would I need to buy the 'bigger' memory stick?

Do the films look ok?

Which accesories are more needed that others?

And any other advise would be appricated.

Mate the only thing you need to worry about on your honeymoon is how many times you get to boff the newly appointed mrs Stst Brother!

May as well go for as much as you can get cos it soon changes after the honeymoon!

but just in case... - the psp is good. I've got one which I must say i don't use a massive amount but its a handy thing to have and the games are good.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
YES!! Buy one:clap: :clap:

I got one a few months ago for my trip to the Falklands (3days travelling each way!).
Ive never been a games console geek,in fact ive never had one since my Commodore 64,but all my mates had one and were linking up to play games.I felt left out:( so i bought one.

Im HOOKED!

Im still not realy into the games that much,but Chaamp manager is ok for sitting on the bog.

I mainly use it for watching films,its miles better than a portable Dvd player because it fits in the pocket and is handheld,and can do loads of other things a dvd player cant.

I have bough loads of films,HMV etc have a massive selection,or you can download them and put them onto the memory card,although you will have to buy a bigger memeory card if you want to do that (unless your Psp comes with a 1 Gb card).

I have downloaded loads of music video's from Limewire,converted them onto the Psp,and by plugging it into my cars sound system i can watch/listen to them in the car,especialy good as i have the dashboard mount which is realy cool for watching films etc when waiting for ferries and stuff like that.

The batteries last for ages,i havent charged mine for a few weeks and ive watched a few films since then.

I cant realy think of any down points to buying a Psp.

As for accessories,deffinatly get some better headphones.The ones that come with it are crap.I have bough an in-car charger,latex protector to gaurd against scratches to the screen and body,a dashboard mount so it sits in the car live a sat-nav screen and quite a few other things that i cant think of right now.

All in all...GET ONE,you wont be dissapointed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks, so far.

I did forget the other obvious question:-

Where's the best place to buy, the best package?

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I must admit I've been very impressed by mine. The battery life isn't great but half the time I'm using it I can plug it in anyway. Getting the car adapter is definitely a good idea.

Not too many "must have" games but Everybody's Golf and Liberty City Stories are almost worth getting a PSP for on their own. Then there're all the films you can get, and they do look great on the little screen.

Basically you just need to ask yourself how often you're likely to use it. I used to take mine to work with me when I spent long shifts on my own with little to do and it filled up the time brilliantly.

However, I find little time to use it since changing jobs as I rarely spend any time travelling and my work actually keeps me busy now. Quite good for a quick bash in bed before going to sleep every now and again though.

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
junior said:

I have downloaded loads of music video's from Limewire,converted them onto the Psp,and by plugging it into my cars sound system i can watch/listen to them in the car,especialy good as i have the dashboard mount which is realy cool for watching films etc when waiting for ferries and stuff like that.

Can you get a free converter program from anywhere? or are you using one you have paid for?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
It's SHIT I got it when if first came out in the states.

I've since sold it, overhyped RUBBISH with about 3 good games.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
dwayne said:
It's SHIT I got it when if first came out in the states.

I've since sold it, overhyped RUBBISH with about 3 good games.

Well thats that then....

FFS!!!!
:glare:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I kind of get the impression, I'm not really going to use it much. I work without commuting, when at home I might as well play my PS2 or more likely Sensible Soccer.
So would a hand held DVD player, be a better option for infrequent long haul flights?

No prizes for guessing the next question, although I will do a quick search for other threads first.

GP2X is the way to go - you don't need to be really techie. It emulates virtually all old systems and plays videos and mp3's as well.

http://www.gp32x.com

http://www.gp2x.co.uk/

You can't buy games for it - it just has loads of free software. Not as good graphically as the PSP but it plays MAME (Arcade emulator - Pacman, Space Invaders, etc), C64, Megadrive, NES etc. And plays DIVX, XVID videos as well

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
dwayne said:
I'm an idiot I got it when if first came out in the states so paid way over the odds.

I've since sold it, because I'm too stupid to realise that there's no point in judging a console until a decent amount of games have been released for it, some other guff which I think makes me look cutting edge but in reality everyone just laughs at.

Well quite???

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
The Great Cornholio said:
GP2X is the way to go - you don't need to be really techie. It emulates virtually all old systems and plays videos and mp3's as well.

http://www.gp32x.com

http://www.gp2x.co.uk/

You can't buy games for it - it just has loads of free software. Not as good graphically as the PSP but it plays MAME (Arcade emulator - Pacman, Space Invaders, etc), C64, Megadrive, NES etc. And plays DIVX, XVID videos as well

Will a bit of tech knowledge you can get your PSP playing all the old games too, i have recently been enjoying Streets of Rage and Mario All Stars on my SNES emulator.
Footie Manager PSP should be an amazing game and might be worth getting a PSP for, Football manager whereever you go, a dream come true.

Get one, I love mine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here