Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter up for manager of the month

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Is it really a curse?

Someone on Reddit has gone to the trouble of comparing all of the EPL manager of the month winners for the past 10 seasons, looking at their points per game in the month following the award in comparison to their season average.

1633066249556.jpg

The curse looks like superstitious nonsense to me. No real pattern either way, just a regression to the mean.

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Is it really a curse?

Someone on Reddit has gone to the trouble of comparing all of the EPL manager of the month winners for the past 10 seasons, looking at their points per game in the month following the award in comparison to their season average.

View attachment 140926

The curse looks like superstitious nonsense to me. No real pattern either way, just a regression to the mean.

My voodoo dolls still work though, right?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Is it really a curse?

View attachment 140926

It is superstitious nonsense. Poyet won manager of the month in our promotion year as did Hughton, and we didn’t lose the next game.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It is superstitious nonsense. Poyet won manager of the month in our promotion year as did Hughton, and we didn’t lose the next game.

I think that people are misunderstanding the curse.

It’s not that the winning manager will lose the next game, nor even that they will have a poor month in the immediate subsequent period. No, the curse is more subtle than that. It’s effect is to ensure the winning manager will have a poor run of games at some indeterminate time following winning MotM.

Thus, it is quite clear that the curse is real, and worse, dangerous. Every winning manager in history has had a poor run of games at some point thereafter. QED.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think that people are misunderstanding the curse.

It’s not that the winning manager will lose the next game, nor even that they will have a poor month in the immediate subsequent period. No, the curse is more subtle than that. It’s effect is to ensure the winning manager will have a poor run of games at some indeterminate time following winning MotM.

Thus, it is quite clear that the curse is real, and worse, dangerous. Every winning manager in history has had a poor run of games at some point thereafter. QED.

Self fulfilling prophecies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here