Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Poll- Just vote, No discussion-New NHS and Social Care Tax-Are You OK with it

Are You OK with the new tax

• Yes-

Votes: 76 39.0%
  • No-

Votes: 100 51.3%
  • Not Fussed

Votes: 19 9.7%

• Total voters

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Why can't we tax the rich to pay for anything, they've done very well out of Covid. Most of their income is virtually tax free with the higher percentage tax burden as you go down the ladder. Seems with the current parliament consensus that won't be an option for a long time to come.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Totally against it

Not because I don't agree that people need to be looked after properly but because I have absolutely zero faith that it will go where it is actually needed

My wife is a nurse and the struggles they have had prior to COVID are staggering. However I am sure a massive amount of this money will go on things such as (business not medical) consultants salaries while they figure out the best spreadsheet to use to schedule patients in

This! My 4 years of working in a pharmacy, admittedly from 2007, demonstrated how much NHS money is wasted so readily every single day. Like so many government services/schemes/ideas the money doesn't get to the right place and things don't run effectively

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Happy to pay more tax not happy how any money raised is spent, I have always thought the money is there it’s how Governments chooses to spend it.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
there are numerous possibly reasons why some are Yes or No, its not practicable to have every reason, just as there are numerous ways to raise the money, borrow, VAT Income Tax, NI, a whole new goods tax, windfall tax on Amazon etc

The thing is, its going to be this new tax, so regardless of the reason for not being OK, or being OK, it is a straight choice Yes I am OK to pay it, or NO I am not

It's a platform! :shrug:

Some people will jump on it and shout! - mainly because they think their opinion - whatever it is - hasn't been given enough credence elsewhere, wherever they've shouted it before!

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
It's a platform! :shrug:

Some people will jump on it and shout! - mainly because they think their opinion - whatever it is - hasn't been given enough credence elsewhere, wherever they've shouted it before!

Yes it is, and on numerous occasions when someone opens a thread about the exact same thing as an existing thread, there is a chorus of "fixtures" and "Mods Merge". I was simply trying to avoid that as there is an existing thread to discuss the actual tax. Its also why I made in a private poll, as I didnt want anyone to have potential abuse from those with differing opinions over what (like a lot of things these days) is a divisive subject. It can be difficult for some people to understand that you can have a different opinion and still be civil- you can even vote for different political parties and not hate each other-another idea that seems beyond the understanding of some these days

ah well

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Totally against it

Not because I don't agree that people need to be looked after properly but because I have absolutely zero faith that it will go where it is actually needed

My wife is a nurse and the struggles they have had prior to COVID are staggering. However I am sure a massive amount of this money will go on things such as (business not medical) consultants salaries while they figure out the best spreadsheet to use to schedule patients in

Agreed. My wife was an NHS nurse from the 1980s until a few years ago when she took early retirement due to ill health. The bottom line is the NHS in its current form will take every penny any government will give it - and it still won't be enough. And as you say so much of it will be used just keeping the ever-increasing number of administrative wheels turning. Those logos on the sweatshirts don't design themselves y'know.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
What happened to the big red bus?

3789.jpg

Can a tory voting brexit supporting person explain why this money isn't being used?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes it is, and on numerous occasions when someone opens a thread about the exact same thing as an existing thread, there is a chorus of "fixtures" and "Mods Merge". I was simply trying to avoid that as there is an existing thread to discuss the actual tax. Its also why I made in a private poll, as I didnt want anyone to have potential abuse from those with differing opinions over what (like a lot of things these days) is a divisive subject. It can be difficult for some people to understand that you can have a different opinion and still be civil- you can even vote for different political parties and not hate each other-another idea that seems beyond the understanding of some these days

ah well
Yes, no criticism of your intentions - just a comment that some people would inevitably ignore your request and just see the internet equivalent of a microphone and grab it, Bob Geldof style, with no thought but to broadcast their own opinions, for or against whatever the subject might be. It was that attitude that I was having a dig at, not your intentions.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
NHS finances are abysmally managed and controlled. It has loads of money - the real issue is what they choose to spend it on.

Your local council is a model of rectitude, efficiency and economy by comparison.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Why can't we tax the rich to pay for anything, they've done very well out of Covid. Most of their income is virtually tax free with the higher percentage tax burden as you go down the ladder. Seems with the current parliament consensus that won't be an option for a long time to come.

Money had to be raised in response to cost of Covid. Not many other choices Income tax VAT Corporation Tax.
Always easy to say get it from the rich but believe it or not in region of 80% of total tax income comes from about 15% of top tax payers

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
FFS, so much whining.

How else are we going to pay the likes of Pestfix and Meller Design's outstanding invoices? We need to face up to our liabilities as a nation...

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Money had to be raised in response to cost of Covid. Not many other choices Income tax VAT Corporation Tax.
Always easy to say get it from the rich but believe it or not in region of 80% of total tax income comes from about 15% of top tax payers
If it's so easy why do we tax them so infrequently. The fact they contribute so much for the small percentage they pay just underlines how much money these f***ers have got. Yes we need to raise money to pay for social services and a small (though I'd prefer large) increase for the rich would be far more productive, as your own maths underlines. Not to mention all the tax havens that Britain has dominion over.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
No.

Too much of the burden still falls on the shoulders of younger people and not enough falls on the shoulders of richer people.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I have a client with pensions ~80K PA and a significant portfolio of rental properties.

Won't have to pay a penny towards the NHS/social care tax. Not their fault. Just a Tory government protecting the wealthy at the expense of the less well off.

Goes without saying that a newly qualified nurse on approx 25K who has had to work throughout covid will get stuffed with the extra 1.25%.

How could anybody vote that this is a great idea? It's an inequitable shambles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here