Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Players waving an imaginary card

Is it acceptable for a player to wave an imaginary card?

• Yes, every time.

Votes: 17 5.4%
  • Only if it'a an Albion player doing the waving

Votes: 59 18.8%
  • There's no need for it

Votes: 238 75.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Of course it lacks class and I suspect it might get 'coached' out of him. However, it's no different to players feigning injury which seems to be the in thing for any of our opponents. Thought for once the ref dealt with a couple of incidents today quite well.

Reactions: cjd

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Never really understand the fuss. One there's often a language issue. Two its preferable to running at the ref and spitting swear words at him. Three, the fact that it annoys some people more than the cynical or dangerous fouls is just deeply odd

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not aimed at you, just a jokey reference to the fact that we actually have nothing to moan about. I normally hate imaginary card waving, don’t recall seeing it from an Albion player before. I confess I was surprised when I saw him doing it. It was a red card tackle though
Absolutely - I'd not suggest it wasn't a red.

I do wonder how many of those who say "it's an ok thing to do" would state the same if, say, Dunk tangled with an onrushing Zaha, brought him down and we saw the Palace goon waving a card in the ref's general direction, and our boy was sent for an early bath.

Would these pages be full of agreement that Zaha's actions were entirely justified?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Never really understand the fuss. One there's often a language issue. Two its preferable to running at the ref and spitting swear words at him. Three, the fact that it annoys some people more than the cynical or dangerous fouls is just deeply odd
Out of interest who said it annoys them more than those other things? And where?

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
It's just not the 'done' thing is it. :shrug: I have to say to the person on here who discussed it on the radio....... your voice doesn't sound anything like I had 'imagined' it! :lol:

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Out of interest who said it annoys them more than those other things? And where?
Lots of pundits always complain it while excusing the issue offence. This isn't the first time it's been discussed on here and in the past people have got very angry about it

keaton

Nov 18, 2004

I do wonder how many of those who say "it's an ok thing to do" would state the same if, say, Dunk tangled with an onrushing Zaha, brought him down and we saw the Palace goon waving a card in the ref's general direction, and our boy was sent for an early bath.

Would these pages be full of agreement that Zaha's actions were entirely justified?
Justified, he'd still be a bell-end just not for that

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I didn't like that he did it, but I also didn't like that he seemed to think it's more than just a simple wave of the hand. He kept it going way longer than normal. A terrible job of miming a waving of the card.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Pretty much every other country does this without batting an eyelid yet here it’s akin to kicking puppies or robbing old ladies handbags.

Sure I don’t like it at all but I think if anyone can be given the benefit of doubt over cultural acclimatisation it has to be Mitoma. Japanese and spent last season on loan in Belgium I mean it probably happens three times a game in both of those leagues…

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Its not something you like to see, but i'll let him off this one seeing as he was correct. & also its not one where he's feigned an injury and tried to get the opposition player sent off. Mitoma was fouled and it did stop a goalscoring opportunity, so rather than any unsporting behaviour or trying to con the ref, this was just his way of pointing out that by the laws of the game it should be a red card. Next time maybe just verbalise that though, rather than the action.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

If Dunk rugby tackled Zaha on the edge of the box I think I’d be more angry with him than Zaha sitting wide eyed on the floor waving an imaginary card. I would actually expect him to tbh :shrug:

I hope I never find out about how I would actually react!!

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
No need for it, and players shouldn't do it.

BUT how often do people on here start threads and get their knickers in a twist about players shouting about fouls and appealing to the ref acting the big lad? It is exactly the same: Referee, give the opposition a card. Pure optics.
The English think frowning on the imaginary card makes us paragons of fair play, meanwhile other countries see us as thuggish. All bollocks if you ask me, just different ways of expressing the same thing.

But yeah, stop it Kaoru.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Pretty much every other country does this without batting an eyelid yet here it’s akin to kicking puppies or robbing old ladies handbags.

Sure I don’t like it at all but I think if anyone can be given the benefit of doubt over cultural acclimatisation it has to be Mitoma. Japanese and spent last season on loan in Belgium I mean it probably happens three times a game in both of those leagues…
I like Kaoru, and thought he was terrific today, so I'm going to try to defend his card waving antics a bit. Firstly, I agree with what BT wrote above: this is probably a much bigger deal in this country than it is in many leagues around the world. I'm not saying that's a good or a bad thing, but it's a possibility that Mitoma had not become familiar with this cultural norm. I imagine that Dunky, or someone else, will probably have a quick word with him about it (maybe not RDZ though :).)

Secondly, I think I had less of a problem with it because he was calling the ref's attention specifically to a clear red card offence: he was keen to point out that he was denied a goal-scoring opportunity by the last defender. If he was waving willy nilly after a tackle on him or a teammate, to try to get the player a yellow, I would have found it far more cringey. Okay, blue and white tinted stowed.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm not a fan of it. It's not the worst thing in the world but it does make the player who does it look like a nob.

It has absolutely zero effect on the referee and his decision. I'm not a fan of half the team surrounding the ref and screaming at him either. It should be captain and player involved only.

However, don't let any of that disguise what a great game Mitoma had and what an impact he's having. Long may that continue!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
As long as there is no attempt to con the ref I have absolutely no problem with it being done. Good entertainment.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
It's less irritating than players surrounding the ref at any contentious decision, it's just more visible as we don't hear what the players say. E.g. Lallana is always in the ref's ear, but I don't see many complaining about that.

And I'm not complaining about that either, it's all part of the game, trying to influence the ref in any way possible within the rules, and happens in any sport.

I'd love to see rule changes that only the captain is allowed to talk to the ref and anything but the slightest dissent from any other player is an instant yellow.

But until that happens, I'm really not that fussed about Kaoru waving an imaginary card around while sitting on the floor. It was hardly intimidating or disrespectful compared to other behaviours we see on a weekly basis.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I think I speak for all football fans when I say, it's abhorrent gamesmanship, unless it's one of ours.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
In all seriousness, it was a bit unpleasant, but nowhere near as embarrassing and irritating than the feigning of injuries that Wolves persisted in until they were a goal down.

The chap who was kicking the floor in excruciating agony after bouncing off Dunk was just enfuriating. I assume he was looking for the ref to "even it up".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here