Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Picolax

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
Had to have a barium enema a few years back & was given picolax to take the day before, whilst only being allowed clear fluids such as black coffee, black tea or bovril, went for the bovril option & without fail 60 seconds after drinking the bovril I was shitting it out totally un affected by my digestive tract. My best advice is lock yourself in the toilet for the day & don't let anyone tempt you away from it or a nasty case of brown trousers may result.
Hope everything is ok by the way & keep smiling.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I've had to take it on two different occasions and personally didn't find it as horrendous as some people say. You certainly can't go out and about but the key thing is that, unlike severe food poisoning which I've also had once in the past, you don't feel ill. Just make sure you drink loads of clear fluid (or whatever they allow under the instructions). As well as water, sweet drinks like ginger ale are a decent idea to keep sugar levels up and chicken bovril was good too as it tasted a bit like food and has plenty of salt in to replace what you're losing. But follow the instructions they've given.. in case your procedure has different rules. You don't want to have to do it all over again!

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
Check your wifi connection in your loo, barricade yourself in and let the good times roll!!!

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Pretty much all of the previous posts I would concur with. Not as unpleasant as you might think it's gonna be but certainly not to be underestimated in its severity. To add a humerous note I seem to recall it says on the sachet " do not use after such and such date" why on earth not,what's it going to do eh, give you the shits? Seriously though, adhere to the instructions to the letter so the 'procedure' can be properly performed cos you don't wanna be doing that all over again. Best description from me would be " Fizzy Gravy" Best of luck with it all though.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
What does it taste like? And what are the best foods/drinks to conceal it in? (Just wondering like...)

You aren't allowed to eat anything and only drink clear, non red colour, fluids. Boiled sweets are allowed.
It is supposed to be vanilla flavour but is like a creamy lemony taste that I really struggled with - I'm a woose according to the missus!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You aren't allowed to eat anything and only drink clear, non red colour, fluids. Boiled sweets are allowed.
It is supposed to be vanilla flavour but is like a creamy lemony taste that I really struggled with - I'm a woose according to the missus!

Whooosssshhhhh :wink:

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I pretty much echo what has been written on this thread. Also make sure you have an exit strategy because the "liquid party arse" as I like to call it might not be over after the procedure so you don't want to be caught short anywhere and be having a "code brown".

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Moist toilet paper. Get lots.

Also, make damn sure they give you enough midazolam / whatever sedative they use during the procedure itself. Effectively being fully awake for it is not fun :ohmy: That said, I was able to drive within 4 hours, not the 24 they said it would take had they given me enough.

I'd suggest checking this one with the doctor/consultant, but taking loperamide (Imodium/arret/whatever generic you can find) after the procedure might be a good idea to stop the last effects of the Picolax also. I didn't bother asking and just took it anyway.

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
I have endured this twice in the past couple of years, the worst bit is drinking the muck. If you have adhered to the diet for a couple of days before, you shou ld not be that full. Take as prescribed, hang round the vicinity of the loo, & when your guts start bubbling clench your cheeks and hold on for ad long as possible. Once you start it will go one until you are clear. For me usually less than an hour.
Make sure you have soft wipes to hand, and drink plenty of water. The next bit which I hate is then starving until its done. That aside, it's really not so bad but not something I would like to do every week.

Good luck

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Well, I have taken both sachets of the stuff and so far it hasn't been too bad at all... Have taken most of the advice on this thread and its been a great help so thanks again.

Drinking plenty of fluids at the moment (flavoured water) and desperately want to eat but I have another 24hrs before I can think about that!

As for the taste of it, wasn't that bad really...

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
Well, I have taken both sachets of the stuff and so far it hasn't been too bad at all... Have taken most of the advice on this thread and its been a great help so thanks again.

Drinking plenty of fluids at the moment (flavoured water) and desperately want to eat but I have another 24hrs before I can think about that!

As for the taste of it, wasn't that bad really...

Looking good then. Pretty sure you can drink bovril, you will find you need something tomorrow when you are starving.

Real men pre order a nice vindaloo for their first meal after its all finished.

Happy crapping!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here