Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pickford

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Pickford's general behaviour breeds panic, he does the same at Everton. A lot of the 'world class' saves he makes at club level come as a result of poor distribution or decision making from himself!! The way he deals with crosses is comical. The way he comes flying out feet first is dangerous.

I used to play in defence (pub level!!) and even I would have hated to have an unpredicatable loony like that behind me.

There is a reason that no big 6 club or other CL club has ever shown a serious interest in him.

He's won nothing, not even got close at club level, and he's never played in Europe at any level for his club. Those stats for an outfield player and he'd be nowhere near England.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Maybe, just maybe when a new permanent England manager is appointed, players are picked on form, and easily fit into the tactical approach.

So unless the approach is to go back to thumping it long all the time, Pickford can watch future games from the bench or at home.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Henderson and Pope are better than Pickford in every respect. Pickford has never been brilliant, he's been no better than fine but let's not pretend he's this generation's Shilton or Seamen. If Henderson had been playing every week for the last 5 years, he would be the England number 1. Pickford is lucky to have as many caps as he does.
disagree , they are all on a par

Pickford isnt Shilton ( Pickford can save penalities) but he has been brilliant in tournament football. Of the poor chocies we have - thats as good as can ask until a world class keeper emerges,

None you mention are world class and thats the only way Pickford deserves to get dropped

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
1) He’s not very good at shot stopping. How many times have we seen him missing the ball at full stretch?
2) He prefers to hoof the ball and isn’t up to the modern game.
3) That thing he does where he bellows to his defenders and then makes a gesture pleading for calm is weird and surely cannot help.

Compared to other leading international goalkeepers he falls well short.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Pickford isnt Shilton ( Pickford can save penalities) but he has been brilliant in tournament football. Of the poor chocies we have - thats as good as can ask until a world class keeper emerges,

None you mention are world class and thats the only way Pickford deserves to get dropped
I don’t agree that he has been brilliant in tournaments. His hoofing was one of the reasons England were so poor for much of the last Euros.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Pickford's general behaviour breeds panic, he does the same at Everton. A lot of the 'world class' saves he makes at club level come as a result of poor distribution or decision making from himself!! The way he deals with crosses is comical. The way he comes flying out feet first is dangerous.
I absolutely agree.

“Panic” is the word which sums him up. Could also go with “‘manic”, “frantic” or “antsy”. He gesticulates wildly, little arms flailing as he yells as his defence, but he actually is a liability himself.

He reminds me of a busybody ex-colleague who was completely incompetent, but would ignore their own work to go around “helping” others very loudly and obnoxiously.

She got binned off when the team - and manager - turned against her.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I absolutely agree.

“Panic” is the word which sums him up. Could also go with “‘manic”, “frantic” or “antsy”. He gesticulates wildly, little arms flailing as he yells as his defence, but he actually is a liability himself.

He reminds me of a busybody ex-colleague who was completely incompetent, but would ignore their own work to go around “helping” others very loudly and obnoxiously.

She got binned off when the team - and manager - turned against her.
Are you also a Labour SPAD then?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
He really smacks of "ooohh what am I like. I'm a right character." Which is literally the opposite of what I want from my goalkeeper. I want you to be the world's most BORING person. I want you to be delighted with safely catching a ball and rolling it out to someone 5 yards away. And on that moment of delight I want the corners of your mouth to SLIGHTLY rise. No full smile.

It's the one position where there's no second chance of redemption, so WHY would you want that person to be WHACKY.

What I would give for a Nigel Martyn.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

Pickford was a massive part of why England played without style in the summer, because his distribution is league 1 standard. The rest of the team all play club football for teams who play out from the back. Pickfords continous long punts up field, left everyone out of position and having to try to build moves from unfamiliar scenarios. It's not about his keeping ability, football has moved on, and it's totally about distribution now.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
This is another thing I don't understand about Pickford - he's useless and chaotic with his feet. He doesn't make saves you wouldn't expect a competent goalkeeper to make, so why was he so popular with Southgate and now Carsley? Is it purely just because he's the one who is consistently available? I know that's a skill, but come on now - there's no reason why he should be undisputed number 1.

Last edited:

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Pickford is a VERY good shot stopper and is constantly up there among those with the highest save percentages and most prevented goals.

His long passing is also quite good actually.

But the poor ball control, nervous body language and very laborous short passing is just something that will make the team rather nervous, almost inevitably.

That said, England isn't exactly flooded with options although the next generation of goalies look promising.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
Hopefully we never see him play for England again. The spell is now broken and other goalkeepers, all of whom are better than him, will now get their chance.

Much like when Joe Hart was out, he was out - hopefully Pickford will be gone too. Banished into the darkness to make the shadows nervous with his twitchy body language.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here