Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

phoning abroad

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Hi guys, quick question I'd REALLY appreciate a quick answer to. Basically one of my friends on a year abroad has just lost someone and is understandably rather upset. How long can I afford to talk to her on her UK mobile from mine (bearing in mind though that she's in Italy) before I go bankrupt?

Thanks

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I don't know much about this, but my ex-flatmate used to phone his girlfriend alot, who lives in Poland. He used to buy phone cards that seem to be readily available in newsagents etc. They are quite reasonable, I think he said.

Sorry, I haven't been too much help, but I thought a reply might bring this more attention and hopefully someone who knows more about this and sorry to hear about your friends loss. :down:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Cheers BoF. I know texting a UK mobile is the same wherever that mobile happens to be (having numerous friends scattered across Europe this year has told me that) but I've no idea about calls.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
MYOB said:
It'll cost you the same. It'll cost HER a bankrupcy. No matter what way you call her.

Yeah, that's roughly what I figured. Bloody national borders.

Cheers all the same though.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Why not trawl around the phone companies to find the one that does the cheapest tariff for calls within Europe, might be easier if you are both on the same network.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Can you not get her to go to a payphone, get the number, and call it on a calling card? Could get a few hours for a tenner then.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Get her a laptop with that wifey thing, she can just find a hotspot then bingo, job's a good-un!!!

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
MYOB said:
Can you not get her to go to a payphone, get the number, and call it on a calling card? Could get a few hours for a tenner then.

Again, don't have a phonecard, going to be tricky to get hold of one at 10pm on a bank holiday and I doubt she fancies hanging out in a phone box at gone 11 in the evening in a foreign country.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
There are some phone companies like One Tel who could help you here. You could also get a deal with Talk Talk which we use here due to the number of International calls that get made. The alternative is to use phone cards which can save a mint but the cheapest way is VOIP if you and your friend both have internet access. That way it's free withs somebody like SKYPE.

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
I think you can use skype or similar i have VOIPstunt and you can call fom PC to telephone, landline or mobile. Need to download it and then put credit on, but it is a lot cheaper than mobile to mobile.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Send a text

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here