Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

parking in brighton

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Correct.

There is excellent public transport from all over the city (and beyond).

Why make it impossible to move in the city centre by cluttering the place up with cars driving round in circles, looking for cheap parking?

All true. But how much of the money that NCP rake in is spent on public transport?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If you think you can get away with it (the neighbours do get snotty), you can try the streets just off Preston Circus, or in Hanover. That's as close as you'll get without paying. Any closer, you're into parking in resident-only streets.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
If you think you can get away with it (the neighbours do get snotty), you can try the streets just off Preston Circus, or in Hanover. That's as close as you'll get without paying. Any closer, you're into parking in resident-only streets.

the south side of Preston Circus (London Road, Baker Street et al, are zone Y) to the north of this area you are also contending with people parking for free (as you said) but also with London Road Staton Commuters who nick most of the free spaces early on

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
the south side of Preston Circus (London Road, Baker Street et al, are zone Y) to the north of this area you are also contending with people parking for free (as you said) but also with London Road Staton Commuters who nick most of the free spaces early on
I grew up in Shaftesbury Road (pretty much next to London Road Station), and remember playing football in the street with hardly any cars about - possibly having to wait once every ten minutes while a car went by. Gradually, over the years, the car parking spaces got taken up to the point that there were no spaces left. Not long after - about 20 years ago, some selfish people decided to park their cars at an angle, so that it jutted out halfway across the road. Soon everyone was doing that, and the entire street was effectively wide enough for one car to pass by.

:(

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
All true. But how much of the money that NCP rake in is spent on public transport?

Does it all have to go on public transport?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I grew up in Shaftesbury Road (pretty much next to London Road Station), and remember playing football in the street with hardly any cars about - possibly having to wait once every ten minutes while a car went by. Gradually, over the years, the car parking spaces got taken up to the point that there were no spaces left. Not long after - about 20 years ago, some selfish people decided to park their cars at an angle, so that it jutted out halfway across the road. Soon everyone was doing that, and the entire street was effectively wide enough for one car to pass by.

:(

indeed i live just next to there and park in Shafsbury Rd. If the people park (as i do) at an angle it enables more cars to park tho. In the area many people have more than 1 car per house which exadurates the situation. i would be suprised if in the near future it wasnt turned into a permit only area

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
indeed i live just next to there and park in Shafsbury Rd. If the people park (as i do) at an angle it enables more cars to park tho. In the area many people have more than 1 car per house which exadurates the situation. i would be suprised if in the near future it wasnt turned into a permit only area

I'm not 100% convinced that so much of the parking in Shaftesbury Road (nor the neighbouring environs) are for London Road Station commuters.

I say that because on the northern side of the station, you don't have anything like the parking issues that you have on the southern side. I would suspect it's more because - as stated previously - it's the closest you can park to the centre of the city without paying.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Does it all have to go on public transport?

Well, they could reduce the bus prices if it did. It's all very worthy saying that the high prices keep the cars out of town, but that's not NCP's motive. They're just getting rich.

One thing that really irritates me is that we don't have a system like some parts of London where the meters will take whatever money you have, and allocate time accordingly. So if you need to just post a parcel or something you can stick 20p in and get a few minutes.

Here it's 50p or a quid or a quid a time in Hove. I don't use my car much but when I havw to it annoys me that the system is so blatantly about making money with no worthwhile return to the public that I'm aware of.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
where abouts in brighton can i park close to churchill square, either for free or relatively cheap.

remembering that i'm not very good at parallel parking.

Arundel

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Correct.

There is excellent public transport from all over the city (and beyond).

Why make it impossible to move in the city centre by cluttering the place up with cars driving round in circles, looking for cheap parking?
Excellent public transport? It might be ok for you in Lewes but in Brighton it's expensive, unreliable and slow. One of the reasons it's slow is because it's fighting for road space (except for a few bus lanes round St Peters) with cars who are, as you say, all circling looking for somewhere to park.

There are actually two parking policies that make sense:

1 - Provide adequate parking in Brighton - more underground car parks for example.

2 - Provide no parking in Brighton.

Unfortunately persuing either of those options means making tricky decisions and given the committe-minded (and hung) nature of Brighton Council there is absolutely no chance of a coherent transport policy being formed. Instead we've got the current policiy of "Let's make it a bit tricky to drive into Brighton and park and then hopefully people will stop doing it." The queues of stationary traffic pumping out C02 SHOULD be enough to convince most rational-minded people that the current transport policy in Brighton is an unmitigated disaster.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Actually, thinking about it, it is possible to park for free up in the Buckingham Road area but a lot of it is residents only, I did it the other week, and thats only a 10 min wander down to Churchill Square.

Still reckon the bus is the best.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
My Blue Badge is the ONLY thing that has ever made me happy about being disabled. Sadly, I can't lend it to anyone. There are some very convenient disabled spots right next to Churchill Square. You have to be quite an accomplished parallel parker to get into them sometimes.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Excellent public transport? It might be ok for you in Lewes but in Brighton it's expensive, unreliable and slow.

Agreed. the £1.50 fare is great for people who live out of town. A rip-off for those of us who live in it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Excellent public transport? It might be ok for you in Lewes but in Brighton it's expensive, unreliable and slow. One of the reasons it's slow is because it's fighting for road space (except for a few bus lanes round St Peters) with cars who are, as you say, all circling looking for somewhere to park.

There are actually two parking policies that make sense:

1 - Provide adequate parking in Brighton - more underground car parks for example.

2 - Provide no parking in Brighton.

Unfortunately persuing either of those options means making tricky decisions and given the committe-minded (and hung) nature of Brighton Council there is absolutely no chance of a coherent transport policy being formed. Instead we've got the current policiy of "Let's make it a bit tricky to drive into Brighton and park and then hopefully people will stop doing it." The queues of stationary traffic pumping out C02 SHOULD be enough to convince most rational-minded people that the current transport policy in Brighton is an unmitigated disaster.

I, on the other hand, take the polar opposite view. The policy of discouraging private cars into the city has been a slow-burner. When it was first introduced around six or seven years ago, it was very unpopular. However, after a while, it became clear - at least to the majority of locals - that driving into the city was a pain in the arse, and therefore not to be attempted.

After six or seven years, while the roads are still busy, they are much better than they were back then. It did help that the bus services were improved and the fares formalised (though the fact that they have since risen from £1 to £1.50 is unhelpful, sadly), and we saw an increase in bus usage.

One thing that does peturb me is the notion of building more car parking space - especially under the seafront squares (like Regency Square). It can ruin the tranquility of the square in question and actively encourages cars into the city. Call me a beardless green hippy if you will, but cars and narrow city streets never were best bedfellows.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
DONT try and park around a certain shop in the north laines on a sunday!

Its f***ing terrible!

Oh and NEVER try and drive into brighton on the london-brighton bike ride!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here