Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Olympic Women's Football - Flag Cockup

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Did they have to sing the South Korean national anthem?

Apparently, so the well-worn tale goes, back in the 1970s in the UEFA Cup, Ipswich Town were playing a Polish side (Gornik Zabrze, I think) and in those days they played the national anthems before the match. Unfortunately, owing to a cock-up Ipswich didn't have a copy of the Polish national anthem, so they scouted around and found something they thought just as appropriate. "Well, this is from behind the Iron Curtain, this will do...", so they played...

'Midnight In Moscow' by Kenny Ball & His Jazzmen.

No idea if that's true, but it deserves to be.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Given that the NI and Sweaties have turned their backs on the UK football teams, hopefully we'll see the union jack without the St Andrew's and St Patrick's bits, go up if we win a medal in the football. It would look something like this:

england.jpg

That might be a tiny bit harsh on the THIRD of the squad who are WELSH.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That might be a tiny bit harsh on the THIRD of the squad who are WELSH.
Yes I KNOW, but it's not my fault they're not represented on the flag of the United Kingdom is it?

Perhaps an England flag with a picture of a LEEK in one of the white squares then?

Last edited:

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I think it always has been in the Olympics! It's a proper sport, the question should be, why is tennis/beach volleyball/bmx in the Olympics?

Have you watched Volleyball? its a great sport, hot chicks in tight shorts jumping about

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
How about starting the next Northern Ireland football match with a display of the Republic's flag?

That's exaclty the sort of thing you might expect someone working at a stadium in Glasgow to do, who's to say the Korea 'mix up' wasn't a local doing it on purpose?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here