Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No matches at Elland Rd??

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Police have warned Leeds United they cannot stage matches at Elland Road next season unless they pay in advance for policing inside the ground.

West Yorkshire Police were owed £82,000 when Leeds went into administration but will receive just £820

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Police have warned Leeds United they cannot stage matches at Elland Road next season unless they pay in advance for policing inside the ground.

West Yorkshire Police were owed £82,000 when Leeds went into administration but will receive just £820

2 right as well

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I didn't think Leeds had been playing football at Elland Road since the mid-90s, surely it is unfair that they should have to pay the police to come and give their accounts the once over.

A situation not unknown to the Albion in the 1990s.

Sussex Police dealt with the fact that they weren't getting paid by ensuring that they collected the money due to them from the turnstile takings at halftime.

Those were the days, of course, when Sussex Police were led by a a Chairman of the Police Authority who understood exactly how dodgy the football club could be. We can only be grateful for Councillor Bellotti's prudence in not expecting the Chief Executive of the Albion to honour an invoice.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004

I wonder if St John's Ambulance will follow suit? I hope so.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004

I've never been able to understand this one.

The police in this country insist on being at footabll matches (fair enough).
But then demand the clubs pay for them being there!!!

If they want to police a stadium, they should bloody-well fund it!!

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Not sure if Farsley Celtic would allow such minnows to share with them now they are the biggest club in Leeds?...

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Isnt it part of the safety license for a ground that x number of police are required for x number of persons in attendance.

So what would you rather have, no police at games or more animosity from local residents when their rates bill skyrockets to fund the policing

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I've never been able to understand this one.

If they want to police a stadium, they should bloody-well fund it!!

Last season on the way to Withdean we saw some teenagers knock down a wall near the ground, they ran off towards Preston Park. Thinking how this could be detrimental to the Falmer bid, and not happy that local residents could easily blame football fans, I tried to report the incident to the Police. I was suprised to be told that the Albion no longer had Police atend home matches and since then realised that at most games its all stewards.

Do we still pay the Police if stewards invite them in to make an arrest or for the Police at Preston Park station in vans and in town after games.

PC Beard would often be seen at away games, did we pay his train fare and buy his wagon wheels!

Last season on the way to Withdean we saw some teenagers knock down a wall near the ground, they ran off towards Preston Park. Thinking how this could be detrimental to the Falmer bid, and not happy that local residents could easily blame football fans, I tried to report the incident to the Police. I was suprised to be told that the Albion no longer had Police atend home matches and since then realised that at most games its all stewards.

Do we still pay the Police if stewards invite them in to make an arrest or for the Police at Preston Park station in vans and in town after games.

PC Beard would often be seen at away games, did we pay his train fare and buy his wagon wheels!
I saw PC Beard in wickes ,worthing last saturday,two blokes covered in what looked like plaster and shit gave him a chorus,
made me chuckle.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Not sure if Farsley Celtic would allow such minnows to share with them now they are the biggest club in Leeds?...
Not quite true. Most judges still reckon Leeds are currently a bit bigger than Farsley at the moment. But give it a two more years ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here