No local beer on sale in the Olympic village

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
As long as people keep paying it, the silly prices will always happen

When I was at the 02 recently, a double jd and come was £11.25

Lucky I drink larger

This has to be the funniest post on NSC for some time!

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
£11.25! I guess you pay more for organic produce these days!

My WTF moment is the quote about beer prices being more expensive because of the temporary nature of the event! What a completely ridiculous comment, the venues are largely permanent and I fail to see what combination of factors at such a 'temporary' event would cause a bottle of shit beer to cost 3-4 times more than I could purchase it in a supermarket other than cynical profiteering. I'm off to wembley to see some of the footy with my missus and 2 boys, I'll be taking a big soft cool bag with our own food and drink as I refuse to be ripped off and pay 40 quid for a couple of burgers and cokes.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Perhps because it wont be. John smiths will be there just unbranded.

I read elsewhere that Heineken would be the only beer available as they have an exclusive Olympic sponsorship deal. How do you ask for an unbranded beer - how do you even know what it is? Will the signs just say 'English bitter' or something? Ridiculous.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Olympic beer to cost £7.23 a pint - Telegraph

Olympic beer to cost £7.23 a pint

Spectators hoping to celebrate British Olympic medals with a drink at the Games face paying the equivalent of more than £7 for a pint of beer, organisers have said.

Bars at the official Games venues will charge £4.80 for a small serving of London 2012 red wine. For visitors with an appetite for traditional British fare, a portion of cod and chips will set them back at least £8.

The London 2012 organisers, who published sample menus yesterday, claimed the prices were “more than comparable” to catering costs at other sporting events.

The public reaction was less forgiving, with Twitter users describing the announcement as “a shocker”.

An estimated 14 million meals will be served to spectators across 40 locations during the Games.

Paul Deighton, chief executive of London 2012, said the organisers had “gone to great lengths” to find “high quality, tasty food that celebrates the best of Britain”.

"We believe that our prices are more than comparable to those found at other major sporting events, which because of their temporary nature are often more expensive than the high street,” he said.

A 330ml bottle of Heineken lager at the Games will cost £4.20, making the equivalent price of a pint £7.23. This is more than double the national average price of £3.17 for a pint of beer.

Spectators will pay £2.10 for a toasted teacake, £2.30 for a 500ml bottle of Coca-Cola and £2 for a cup of tea.

A family of four should be able to buy food and drinks for under £40, according to London 2012.

Spectators will be allowed to take their own food to the Games but must carry it in soft bags rather than cool boxes. Visitors will be banned from bringing their own alcohol to the venues.

The Olympic menus are intended to emphasis the international and multicultural nature of the event, with curries, jerk chicken and Singapore noodle dishes alongside traditional British favourites such as toasted teacakes and porridge.

The details were released as the RMT union raised the prospect of another strike by transport workers during the Games.

Staff operating London’s network of bicycles for hire, known as “Boris Bikes” in reference to Mayor Boris Johnson, are demanding £1,000 bonuses for working during the Olympics. The RMT’s general secretary, Bob Crow, announced that the union would ballot members over industrial action.

Transport ministers and the London Mayor have urged London residents to cycle to work during the Games in order to reduce overcrowding on the Underground and commuter trains.

Heineken, BLOODY HELL....P!SSLAGER!

How bloody British is that? They have paid a kings ransom for the rights to sell their beer, hence the £7.23 a pint.

Why didn't the Olympic Committee sort out a deal with Youngs for London Pride? Or better still have a games long beer festival featuring beers from around the Isles.

Another reason why I won't be in the least bit interested in the 'cash generating two weeks nonsense fest'.

If the Amex can successfully sell Harveys surely the Olympics could do a similar thing?

Garbage!

TNBA

TTF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here