Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Newcastle United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
Just an incredibly mature performance from the team on the pitch and the gaffer on the sidelines. There's always going to be periods in the game that get frustrating, but we rode those out and played very well in that second half. Onwards and upwards!

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
My buttocks are now, at last, unclenched. I get so nervous about our games if I’m not there in person. At 5.50ish I checked on-line to see how were doing - 1-0 up 90+4, then it was 1-0 at 90+12. I thought please blow the f***ing whistle! Finally I got the all clear, the big 1-0 FT. Oh the relief. Well done boys! :drink: :thumbsup:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It looks as if our manager has thrown in the towel before the game has even started. What a truly awful line up. Newcastle won't be at all bothered by that team.
Think it's time for YOU to throw in the towel :dunce:

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
Some of the play in the second half reminded me of de Zerbiball. Most of the players are very experienced now at this level and are a pleasure to watch. Not always good for my blood pressure though. Hinshelwood is becoming a vital player at such a young age. Loving it.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I'm sure he listens, but it's not like he didn't notice the high-line was causing issues (not that we won't still use it sometimes) and to change the tactics that much on the say of the players would mean they don't have faith in how he's managing them.

There's a difference between listening and completely changing everything.
He and his team analysed the Chelsea match, possibly discussed with the senior players, looked at the Newcastle team and decided to defend deeper. Tactical masterclass.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Bizarre game but a win is a win. Encouraging that we can graft a result, Verbruggen was outstanding today.

Concerns would be passing accuracy which was way off again and general performance level, especially in the first half. A team that could finish would have punished us today. Saying that I thought we actually had more clear cut chances and could have got 3 or 4 if we'd been really clinical.

Kadioglu is still a concern, wouldn't be starting over Estupinan for me and couldn't convert a great opportunity to make the last 10 mins much more comfortable.

Love seeing us beat smug Eddie though 😄 Good day

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I'm sure he listens, but it's not like he didn't notice the high-line was causing issues (not that we won't still use it sometimes) and to change the tactics that much on the say of the players would mean they don't have faith in how he's managing them.

There's a difference between listening and completely changing everything.

No fully fit wingers and we played narrow. Seems like a manager who finds a formation/ tactics that works for the players available. Rather than sticking to one tried and tested plan.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Bizarre game but a win is a win. Encouraging that we can graft a result, Verbruggen was outstanding today.

Concerns would be passing accuracy which was way off again and general performance level, especially in the first half. A team that could finish would have punished us today. Saying that I thought we actually had more clear cut chances and could have got 3 or 4 if we'd been really clinical.

Kadioglu is still a concern, wouldn't be starting over Estupinan for me and couldn't convert a great opportunity to make the last 10 mins much more comfortable.

Estupinian definitely better than Ferdi, even though Ferdi was ok today. Igor worries me a little with his tendency to carry the ball until he loses it, like Webster. Was great to see Fabulous Hürzeler unveiling plan B and taking 3 points though.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Some of the play in the second half reminded me of de Zerbiball. Most of the players are very experienced now at this level and are a pleasure to watch. Not always good for my blood pressure though. Hinshelwood is becoming a vital player at such a young age. Loving it.
Remember Hinshelwood being described last season as “potentially the new Gross”
I think he’s beginning to grow into just that

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Estupinian definitely better than Ferdi, even though Ferdi was ok today. Igor worries me a little with his tendency to carry the ball until he loses it, like Webster. Was great to see Fabulous Hürzeler unveiling plan B and taking 3 points though.
Agree re Igor. I thought he had a better than normal game today but he's not going to be anything other than a backup plan in the PL. Really good to see van Hecke come on as we've missed him

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Think Pervis didn't start because he's not long back from South America. FH mentioned that in the pre-match conference. I thought Ferdi looked good and, yes, Bart was outstanding.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
My buttocks are now, at last, unclenched. I get so nervous about our games if I’m not there in person. At 5.50ish I checked on-line to see how were doing - 1-0 up 90+4, then it was 1-0 at 90+12. I thought please blow the f***ing whistle! Finally I got the all clear, the big 1-0 FT. Oh the relief. Well done boys! :drink: :thumbsup:
5:50 ish? Stop watching on Sky Sports + 1

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here