Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] new Documentary tonight about the Brighton Bombing

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I don't think so. The copyright at the end was 2024.
Ah - ok. There were two different documentaries about the Brighton bomb on the BBC last night.

One on BBC2 from 9pm-10.15pm and another on BBC4 from 10.15pm - 11.15pm.

I was referring to the latter, which was first shown in 2004. Perhaps the one shown at the earlier time is a more recent production.

Hovegull

Nov 27, 2022
Ah - ok. There were two different documentaries about the Brighton bomb on the BBC last night.

I was referring to the latter, which was first shown in 2004. Perhaps the one shown at the earlier time is a more recent production.
Definitely a new one on BBC2 last night.

I agree with a poster above - nothing new, but still good to see and remember such important local history

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
My mates were living just next door. Had their windows blown out, and typical students slept through the whole thing. That Airey Neave article is very interesting

Professor Plum

NSC Patron
Jul 27, 2024
I thought the documentary was a bit poor really. Didn't tell us anything we didn't already know.
It wasn’t intended to offer some big new angle. It’s a documentary about something that happened 40 years ago. The majority of the population will have no recollection of the event.
Pretty sure I'd never heard of Airey Neave before this documentary. He was the Tory MP killed by the car bomb just before the 1979 election. I'm currently reading D-Day by Antony Beevor and he only got a mention today in the chapter about the liberation of Paris. Bizarre. Apparently he was also the first British POW to escape from Colditz.
Airey Neave was very high profile at the time. I’d seen him interviewed on TV about his exploits at Colditz. He also had some role at the Nuremberg Trials after the war. His nickname when I was at school was Hairy Knees.
That’s because it was first broadcast 20 years ago.
I made the same mistake. Searched for Brighton on iPlayer and watched the documentary, disappointed that it was a repeat from 20 years ago (still interesting though). I then noticed there was another, new one! Halfway through that one. Will finish it tomorrow. I’m all bombed out at the moment.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

I saw the BBC2 version.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Surely, the correct response to the Brighton bomb would be to carpet bomb West Belfast, and if Ireland retaliated, carpet bomb Dublin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here