Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New camera

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Get a canon or nikon. Ignore the amount of megapixels and get the one with best lens. If Dale I would buy nikon but compact camera a canon. Hope that helps

The best lens is Leica, therefore the Panasonic is the one to go for. I have an older version of the Panasonic, it takes excellent pictures, would buy another, every time.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I've got the predecessor, the TZ10, and it's very good. The zoom (12* on mine, 16* on 'yours') is great.

The only thing that annoys me about mine is the video. Quality is excellent, don't get me wrong, but it's in a format that not a lot of stuff can handle readily and it's a pain to convert too.

If [MENTION=15302]art[/MENTION]vScience 's shots from the SSC Final are from a TZ20 then it's very impressive.

Very true about the video. It's a disappointment. The TZ20 takes superb pictures though. I find it irritating that there's only an LCD screen rather than a viewfinder to line up the shot but that's pretty much the norm nowadays.

Am looking to buy a new compact didgital camera cant choose between:

Panasonic Lumix TZ20 or the Nikon Coolpix s9100

Anyone got any of these and can sway my decision?

Hi mate, I work for Currys and sell them both, I have always (for the last 3 years) said to all my customers, that pretty much any Panasonic digital compact camera is the best in its respective price range. Personally I have always loved the TZ range of cameras, great zoom, brilliant Leica lenses (unlike what an earlier poster said, the better the lens, the better the camera in reality, as the lens being the most important part of ANY camera) however now the Nikon S9100 is here, it is the 1st camera I have found that genuinely challenges the TZ range. They both have their advantages and disadvantages, and the Nikon does have a new filter on the screen to make it even better in bright sunlight. I hope that helps you? Any more questions, you can inbox me.

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
Hi mate, I work for Currys and sell them both, I have always (for the last 3 years) said to all my customers, that pretty much any Panasonic digital compact camera is the best in its respective price range. Personally I have always loved the TZ range of cameras, great zoom, brilliant Leica lenses (unlike what an earlier poster said, the better the lens, the better the camera in reality, as the lens being the most important part of ANY camera) however now the Nikon S9100 is here, it is the 1st camera I have found that genuinely challenges the TZ range. They both have their advantages and disadvantages, and the Nikon does have a new filter on the screen to make it even better in bright sunlight. I hope that helps you? Any more questions, you can inbox me.

Cheers mate i am leaning toward the panasonic, due mainly to the fact i have heard that when the 9100 is videoing on full zoom, then image stability is a huge problem, so i am still undecided, as i know the 9100 has a better lcd with some 91k dots as apposed to the samsungs 41k making it much easier to see in bright conditions. both shoot full hd, and both image quality seem about equal, do i need gps? 3d? or a stronger zoom, and better lcd......hmmmm....

both have their pros and cons

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Another thing on my Panasonic: battery life. It's not brilliant if you're going to be out and about for a full day.

However with mine, and probably with the TZ20, there are cheap 3rd party batteries available on eBay etc.

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
Have just received a promotion points for prizes from my plumbing merchants and have the chance to exchange my points for a Nikon SLR 18-55VR lens camera,i've looked online at feedback but does anyone on here have any personal experience with this camera,reading through the post's on here it sounds like some of you are in the know,thanks.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Have just received a promotion points for prizes from my plumbing merchants and have the chance to exchange my points for a Nikon SLR 18-55VR lens camera,i've looked online at feedback but does anyone on here have any personal experience with this camera,reading through the post's on here it sounds like some of you are in the know,thanks.

I have one, just love it - I think what you have quoted is just the bog standard lens it comes with rather than the camera. Have you got the points for the lens or the camera or both?

Nikon D3100 Digital camera - SLR - 14.2 Megapixel - 3 x optical zoom

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hi mate, I work for Currys and sell them both, I have always (for the last 3 years) said to all my customers, that pretty much any Panasonic digital compact camera is the best in its respective price range. Personally I have always loved the TZ range of cameras, great zoom, brilliant Leica lenses (unlike what an earlier poster said, the better the lens, the better the camera in reality, as the lens being the most important part of ANY camera) however now the Nikon S9100 is here, it is the 1st camera I have found that genuinely challenges the TZ range. They both have their advantages and disadvantages, and the Nikon does have a new filter on the screen to make it even better in bright sunlight. I hope that helps you? Any more questions, you can inbox
me.

Unlike ? Assume you refer to my post in which case you may want to read it again.

My additional advice would be to get a dslr. And finally get advice from park cameras and not from anyone at currys

What is your problem?! If I misread your post or anyone elses I hold my hands up and apologise. I will NOT try and start an argument as you blatantly have, and ok I may not work in a camera shop, but I HAVE been working for Currys (Dixons before the re-branding in 07) for 20 years, and do know just a little bit about the products I sell. AND the guy asked for some advice and I gave it. You have a problem with me giving advice to a fellow Albion fan? Or are you gonna spout off again???

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Another vote for a Canon compact here. Still use an old Powershot A710 IS and more than happy with it.

Wozza

Custom title
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Funny that so many people give camera advice without knowing what the OP's skill level is, and what s/he wants to shoot or spend.

But if we make a few assumptions, "get a DSLR" is terrible advice.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
:lolol:
What is your problem?! If I misread your post or anyone elses I hold my hands up and apologise. I will NOT try and start an argument as you blatantly have, and ok I may not work in a camera shop, but I HAVE been working for Currys (Dixons before the re-branding in 07) for 20 years, and do know just a little bit about the products I sell. AND the guy asked for some advice and I gave it. You have a problem with me giving advice to a fellow Albion fan? Or are you gonna spout off again???
:lolol:

Apology accepted. I am sure you are one of the good ones.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here