Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New anti-VAR song released

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That’s my raison d’être.

For the benefit of the OP, it’s French.
Only NSC can go from discussing the merits of VAR to a full on barney about haemorrhoids in a couple of posts.

I suppose in this case it could be called a 'pile on'.....

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
We are one of the biggest beneficiaries of VAR since its introduction. Without it we’d be at the mercy of the crooked/incompetent referees in this league.

Professor Plum

NSC Patron
Jul 27, 2024
The marginal offside calls are very far from black and white. The technology doesnt support that level of precision. More importantly,
those marginal calls are directly against the spirit of the game and disadvantage attacking play unfairly.

The key reason it has to go, (and will go, imv), is it undermines spontaneous celebration of a goal. And that cant be changed, its a feature, not a glitch,as they say. And that poisons the game.
Is this thread about VAR or the song? Most people dont mind the notion of VAR but dislike some of the way it's implemented, and especially the time taken. If the automated offside is deemed reliable, that would be great for instance.

But the song? Me no like. It's far too earnest for the topic. I started listening but it took far too long to get to the chorus. And the chorus is dull. And "Reclaim the game" is a slogan that's been used many times before.

Not for me, Clive. A miss.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I turned it off when I started line dancing to it. No thank you.
Quite right.

When it comes to VAR, there's no need to make a song and dance about it.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
We said no to it in Sweden and it works well. Don't think even 10% of the fans would vote for it.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Obviously, the correct way to spell this is actually the big issue here.

That's an American website and it's "U.S. English". The British spelling, as someone correctly pointed out, is "haemorrhoid".

The Americanisation of English words is almost as annoying as VAR ;)
Indeed. I'm thru with all this fetid Americanization.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Is this the same goon who wrote that awful rewrite of Sussex by the Sea the other month?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
But those two goals are some of the most iconic ever in the history of football.

Imperfections make history. VAR's search for perfection just ends up causing other problems, other injustices.
In the same vein, would you scrap goal line technology as well, to preserve the Hurst 'goal' and others like it? And to preserve 'big moments' like Lampard's goal that wasn't given in 2010?

Professor Plum

NSC Patron
Jul 27, 2024
But those two goals are some of the most iconic ever in the history of football.

Imperfections make history. VAR's search for perfection just ends up causing other problems, other injustices.
The Hand of God goal, if it's "iconic" is iconic because it was one of the most notorious football injustices of modern times. What is it an icon of? Cheating? VAR would have disallowed it and possibly sent off the player.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Would football be better without VAR? Yes!
Do I like the song? Well I only lasted 19 seconds but that 19 seconds was pretty shit!
Will it have any impact on getting rid of VAR? Absolutely not.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I was at the match on Sunday and I don't recall not spontaneously celebrating all three of our goals. In fact, with VAR, you often get to celebrate the goal twice - once when it goes in and once when the check is over.
None of our goals felt potentially problematic though.

However I absolutely don't go wild now the MOMENT I have any doubt about whether the goal was ok.

I now see goals as an application to score. We've put the ball in, now let's see what the officials say.

You hear it. Goal goes in and people say "he might be offside" or "not sure if that hit his hand". Ok, better wait and see then. In the ground, on the TV, people are on it. Our brains have been re-wired to be ready for the problem they are going to find.

To me, in a sport where a goal is such vital currency, that is criminal, but there you go. It isn't going to change.

And anyone who says "yes but we want the right decisions"?. Meh. Football is a sport.it doesn't matter. It's not a process of due diligence. The whole point is that it is FUN , It's SILLY and it ultimately is an escape from the serious stuff. It doesn't actually matter. The money involved means that now can't happen but it's such a vibe killer for me.

Remember Alexis Mac Allisters wonder goal that was ruled out, after everyone's gone wild because of some infringement. Urgh.
The Hand of God goal, if it's "iconic" is iconic because it was one of the most notorious football injustices of modern times. What is it an icon of? Cheating? VAR would have disallowed it and possibly sent off the player.
So he then wouldn't have scored arguably the greatest goal of all time.

Anyway, the game is better for the HoG happening. It's FUNNY. It's really really FUNNY. our goalkeeper, who is MASSIVE and is allowed to use his hands was out-jumped by child. That's funny.

Darren Bents goal off a beach ball? Hilarious
Henry's handball against Ireland? Hilarious.

Professor Plum

NSC Patron
Jul 27, 2024
So he then wouldn't have scored arguably the greatest goal of all time.

Anyway, the game is better for the HoG happening. It's FUNNY. It's really really FUNNY. our goalkeeper, who is MASSIVE and is allowed to use his hands was out-jumped by child. That's funny.

Darren Bents goal off a beach ball? Hilarious
Henry's handball against Ireland? Hilarious.
Forgive me but I don't share your view that "the game is better for the HoG happening" nor that Henry's handball goal was "hilarious". For anyone who loves the sport, or sport in general, were painful things to see.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Forgive me but I don't share your view that "the game is better for the HoG happening" nor that Henry's handball goal was "hilarious". For anyone who loves the sport, or sport in general, were painful things to see.
Surely, you must be able to look back at the hand of god nearly FOURTY years later and realise it's just a mad moment and has to be embraced for that. You can't be re-watching that now and get annoyed about it?

Football is panto. It's intrinsically silly.

Sep 24, 2024
All part of the glorious game's heritage. Maradona's cheating was cheating, but outrageous and audacious at the same time.

What is painful is never being quite sure again that a goal is a goal, thanks to VAR. That really is an attack on football's soul.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here