Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Need a new Digital Camera - Any Suggestions

Sep 1, 2010
It appears that me questioning the validity of taking too many photographs at events thread last night has made my Canon Ixus commit suicide. :cry:

So looking for a new one around £100, any ideas of decent ones that are also good for videos as well, it seems a bit of a minefield TBH

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Apparently you need to be looking at 'shutter lag' and don't get too wrapped up in the size of your megapixels [phnarr phnarr] - a mate of mine is a professional photographer and he reckons 8-10 megapixels is fine but it's good to not have to wait too long after pressing the shutter button. I can vouch for this as the cheap old one I've got makes me feel like a Victorian photographer asking people to 'watch the birdy' as they stand with fixed grins waiting for the picture to be taken.

Sep 1, 2010
Apparently you need to be looking at 'shutter lag' and don't get too wrapped up in the size of your megapixels [phnarr phnarr] - a mate of mine is a professional photographer and he reckons 8-10 megapixels is fine but it's good to not have to wait too long after pressing the shutter button. I can vouch for this as the cheap old one I've got makes me feel like a Victorian photographer asking people to 'watch the birdy' as they stand with fixed grins waiting for the picture to be taken.

That seems fair enough. The Ixus seemed to be a little like this sometimes. There are so many out there but i am leaning towards Olympus ATM

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I've had a couple of the Panasonic TZ series and they are excellent all-rounders. Reasonably small but solid enough to feel like a decent bit of kit when you use them. Excellent photos and great video as well. Reviews often comment on them being the ideal travelling/holiday camera. I've always done fine with it at gigs etc as well.

They keep updating them but the older TZ8 (which was pretty new when I got one!) can be bought for £169 from Amazon. A bit more than your budget but worth it.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Obviously not a hundred quid but the Canon Powershot G12 [£399] is a fantastic bit of kit - I've seen [and taken] some really impressive shots, and it certainly wasn't anything to do with my skill as a photographer!

Sep 1, 2010
Yeah the Lumix seems a good bit of kit.....might be able to afford a nearly second hand one, been trying to look for bargains but hard to find as i want something more than the Ixus 75 i had before now

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Nah - more this . . .

canon_g12_front.jpg

. . . but it's the same company . . . might be worth looking on some of the forums about it?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Sep 1, 2010
Mmmmmmmmmm just realised that some of the Canon's are run by normal batteries rather than a rechargable one, which puts me off a little.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I upgraded to a Nikon D3100 which is by far and away the best camera I've ever had (though I appreciate nowhere near £100).
The camera I had before was a Panasonic FZ28 - as this has now been superseded you may be able to pick up one for not too much more than your £100 and I would thoroughly recommend it.
You're right - it is a minefield and you need to be careful what you're landing yourself with. I usually use a website called "Steve's digicams" to help me choose. For cheapie cameras the Casio Exilim range is pretty damn good and the Fuji S1600 is well thought of.
Choose one that's got the features you want and read through the Amazon comments - they're normally pretty honest
Good luck

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I tend to always go Olympus now AvS, I tend to find them more reliable than others. My current is an SP800.

Sep 1, 2010
I worked for Park cameras for 5 years. Around 100 quid then anything Fuji.

First of all, Thanks Blue and White, this seems a possiblity for sure.

Steve2244 - anything you can specifically suggest maybe stretch to £130 mark? Good shutter and rechargeable battery preferred

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I upgraded to a Nikon D3100 which is by far and away the best camera I've ever had (though I appreciate nowhere near £100).

I have the same camera and it's only after I got it that I realised what a f***ing excellent photographer I am, I have taken some frankly amazing photos since I got this camera and all taken on auto or with the onscreen guide too :rolleyes:

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
http://www.parkcameras.com/14731/Fujifilm-Finepix-JX200-Silver.html

I would start off looking at something like this.
If you spend another 50 quid then you will not see the difference in picture quality but the build quality might be a bit better. If you like I could send you the details for someone to speakto from Park who would give you a good deal, thats if you wanted to go into a shop and have a decent selection.

I've had a couple of the Panasonic TZ series and they are excellent all-rounders. Reasonably small but solid enough to feel like a decent bit of kit when you use them. Excellent photos and great video as well. Reviews often comment on them being the ideal travelling/holiday camera. I've always done fine with it at gigs etc as well.

They keep updating them but the older TZ8 (which was pretty new when I got one!) can be bought for £169 from Amazon. A bit more than your budget but worth it.

I've got the TZ7 and it's excellent. Cost £179.99 last August so might be a bit cheaper now. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here